Main Menu

Recent posts

Really a non event other than windy and rainy in my AO. Didn't even lose power. Although there were a couple of tornadoes that touched down about 10 miles south. And another hit north perry executive airport and flipped a few planes around. That's in south Broward County.

Last night there were a bunch of emergency alerts on the tv regarding tornado warnings. Palm Beach County is pretty much clear at this time, tornado watches lifted.

It really depends on how close you are to the eye wall on weather you get hurricane or tropical force winds. And the tornadoes spawn from the feeder bands. And those can be really far out from the eye.
Quote from: MacWa77ace on Yesterday at 04:50:40 PM
Quote from: flybynight on September 26, 2022, 05:13:56 PM
Quote from: RickOShea on September 26, 2022, 12:24:58 PMDoesn't MacWallace live in south Florida? I don't know if he's on the Atlantic side or the Gulf of Mexico side.
Member map shows him on the Atlantic side by  Palm beach

I'm about 2 miles walk from the everglades, 12 miles from the beach. I'm not in any kind of mandatory evacuation area. Those have to do with the storm surge which happens near the coast. Plus it's really amazing how our canal system really keeps us from flooding. Sometimes water management will lower the canals in advance of a hurricane.

And my specific plan no matter the storm track is to; put up shutters if needed [before], hunker down [during], then assess and repair [after], if Power goes down for any prolonged period we may Bug Out to relatives who are in different parts of the state who do have power.

I'm not even putting up the shutters for this one.

The storm track on this will put me on the 'clean air' side of the storm but its been raining here since yesterday morning.

Wilma on the other hand was a direct hit on me when i lived in Boca Raton, the eye went right over us. That was weird. And Irma was the last one to really effect me, the power outage after the fact and FPL trying to get it back up kept brown outing and fried my refrigerator. That sucked.

Work is being effected 'cause we have a distribution center in Tampa, they will be closed tomorrow and Thursday. My location will probably not close. I work an hour south of my home in west Ft. Lauderdale.
Give us a check in when you can
Quote from: NapalmMan67 on Today at 03:40:58 PMI have a friend that lives in Naples that I've not heard if she evacuated safely.  I hope the lack of comms with her means she's traveling and did.

Keeping fingers crossed for everyone in the path of this monster.  I told my dad no matter what happens to his house in Tampa, I am glad he's 1200 miles North of there right now.

I've always said houses and material possessions can be replaced in due time, human lives can't.

Here's hoping your friend is safe, NapalmMan67.

Here's hoping everyone else in the path of this storm is safe as well.
I have a friend that lives in Naples that I've not heard if she evacuated safely.  I hope the lack of comms with her means she's traveling and did.

Keeping fingers crossed for everyone in the path of this monster.  I told my dad no matter what happens to his house in Tampa, I am glad he's 1200 miles North of there right now.

Quote from: majorhavoc on Today at 12:54:48 PMBut I'd be lying if I said I'm not worried.
You would not be human if you were not worried. The good news is that generally the wind in hurricanes causes structural damage; it is the storm surge that causes the real problem. Assuming the building is away from or higher than an inundation zone (which FL requires for such facilities) the building may be beaten up but the people inside are likely fine.

That said the aftermath is where the real problems occur. You may want to plan on taking him to another location for a couple of weeks until power, sanitation and comms are restored.

As for the cell phone. There is not likely to be any reliable cell phone service in his area for a few days.

BTW you can check on the power outages here:
https://account.tecoenergy.com/Outage/Outagemap
https://www.fplmaps.com/
So my Dad, who just turned 90 and has dementia, resides at an assisted living facility in Sarasota.  He, along with the other residents, the staff and their families, are sheltering in place there.  It's supposedly built to meet certain standards required for hospitals and other critical medical facilities.  That was a major selling point when my brothers and I picked it out for him.  But I think I read somewhere that nothing is guaranteed to survive a direct hit by anything above a category 3 hurricane.  Ian's a strong cat 4 and it looks like the Port Charlette/Sarasota area are going to take a direct hit in the next few hours.  

Dad has his good days and his bad days, but when I spoke to him this morning he seemed fully engaged and oriented.  Says the staff and residents had an all facility meeting yesterday to go over emergency procedures and what to expect.  He's watching the news constantly and is most concerned about something coming through the windows.  That seems like a reasonable concern to me.  The only room in his studio apartment that doesn't have windows is his bathroom.  I suggested if things get really bad, the staff will move the residents out into the hallways to ride out the worst of the storm.  I also asked him to keep his cell phone charged and to take it with him wherever he goes.  He's particularly bad about leaving it in his apartment when he goes elsewhere in the building.  

I'm going into this assuming everything will be fine.  But I'd be lying if I said I'm not worried.
Ian is kicking the caca out of the Tampa/St Pete area as I post this. Prayers are being offered for the safety of the people in the area. This is going cause a lot of damage ($$$$$$). There is no way around this.

You cannot view this attachment.
Films and Videos / Re: Deadpool 3 Teaser
Last post by RickOShea - Today at 09:11:03 AM
Quote from: EBuff75 on Yesterday at 08:25:58 PMWhat's the likelihood that Deadpool makes at least one joke about Wolverine's height in the movie?
They should start the movie with Logan getting contaminated by some residual Pym particles that causes him to shrink a bit, then do some Peter Jackson LoTR magic and make him appear 5 foot tall for the rest of the movie.
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk