If it came down to it

Started by yonderstone, September 11, 2021, 12:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yonderstone

majorhavoc

A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!
<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

flybynight

Whatever happened to beans and rice ? :shades:
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

MPMalloy

Quote from: flybynight on September 11, 2021, 05:35:28 AM
Whatever happened to beans and rice ? :shades:
Did the zombies eat all the 🍜?

Mr. E. Monkey

As long as they're not all the vegetarian omelet MREs, I'm okay.  If they are, every other choice is preferable.
Quote from: SMoAF'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Quote from: BeowolfDisasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
Quote from: wee drop o' bushTHE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS!  :lol:

echo83

Quote from: Mr. E. Monkey on September 16, 2021, 12:42:41 PM
As long as they're not all the vegetarian omelet MREs, I'm okay.  If they are, every other choice is preferable.

Those, or the Tuna, Lemon Pepper.

I was going to participate in a Natick Labs study where participants would be split into 2 groups to measure the effect of MREs on digestive health. The first group would eat only MREs for 3 weeks straight, the second control group would eat normal food. I would have to provide stool samples, get my vitals measured and pick up MREs from the lab a couple of times a week.

Maybe you're waiting for the punch line...there isn't one. This was a real study.

Knowing that the Vegetarian Omelet and Tuna, Lemon Pepper were out there, combined with the time I'd have to take off from work made me bail out.

I still have second thoughts about it. I'm one of those weirdos that genuinely enjoys MREs.

https://www.army.mil/article/227225/army_researchers_dug_into_the_effects_of_mres_on_gut_health_heres_what_they_discovered

Mr. E. Monkey

I don't think I ever saw the lemon pepper tuna.  On its face, it sounds like it should be decent...but I'll take your word for it.   :D

Barr

I ate MRE's for six months straight and had to get medevaced to Landstuhl, and I took the colonoscopy prep stuff to get cleared to go back to work.  Never Again.

Human has been referred to as long pig before so I guess I'll be having the other other white meat.
Quote from: Vicarious_LeeFuck it I'm Zombie Squad. I got this shit

echo83

Quote from: Mr. E. Monkey on September 19, 2021, 11:21:06 AM
I don't think I ever saw the lemon pepper tuna.  On its face, it sounds like it should be decent...but I'll take your word for it.   :D

I mean, you do get the pound cake and the cheddar cheese spread, but the main entree is a (camouflaged) pouch of StartKist tuna, some tortillas, and a packet of mayo. It's got to be one of the only, if not THE only MRE with no flameless ration heater.

It's the MRE equivalent of raiding the kitchen cabinet because you forgot to pay for hot lunch, and it's your turn to pack a lunch box for your kid before the school bus goes by.

Mr. E. Monkey

Quote from: echo83 on September 20, 2021, 09:31:06 PM
Quote from: Mr. E. Monkey on September 19, 2021, 11:21:06 AM

I mean, you do get the pound cake and the cheddar cheese spread, but the main entree is a (camouflaged) pouch of StartKist tuna, some tortillas, and a packet of mayo. It's got to be one of the only, if not THE only MRE with no flameless ration heater.

It's the MRE equivalent of raiding the kitchen cabinet because you forgot to pay for hot lunch, and it's your turn to pack a lunch box for your kid before the school bus goes by.

:smiley_crocodile: Perfect description!

Millzy

@echo83 I'm one of those weirdos too. Occasionally I get into my stash and have one. LOL Those freeze dried strawberries were the bomb! (80's era)
The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one!

Mr. E. Monkey

Quote from: Millzy on November 04, 2021, 04:11:52 PM
@echo83 I'm one of those weirdos too. Occasionally I get into my stash and have one. LOL Those freeze dried strawberries were the bomb! (80's era)
Wow, that takes me back!  I remember a few times when I was a kid, my dad brought back an MRE or two from drill weekend once in a while, and there was that, and the freeze dried peaches, I think.  Those were great.  The freeze dried meat patties were...interesting.

echo83

Quote from: Mr. E. Monkey on November 05, 2021, 08:20:33 AM
Quote from: Millzy on November 04, 2021, 04:11:52 PM
Wow, that takes me back!  I remember a few times when I was a kid, my dad brought back an MRE or two from drill weekend once in a while, and there was that, and the freeze dried peaches, I think.  Those were great.  The freeze dried meat patties were...interesting.

My oldest brother was a TOW gunner in the Army Reserves in the late 80s/early 90s. He brought home really old MREs from drill weekends, the ones in the dark brown bags. That was my first introduction, and I was totally hooked. The freeze dried peaches and freeze dried strawberries were awesome. The freeze dried meat patties were kind of like pouring gravy over a kitchen sponge. Grim.

Because his unit was supposed to be deployed to colder climates, I also got to try out cold weather MREs, which were genuinely really tasty, and a little more rare. They were pretty much the same as Mountain House.

I have another brother who was in the Marines in the early 90s, so of course he developed a pretty serious addiction to Jalapeño cheese, and got me hooked too.

They both have an unusual, almost creepy love for MREs, because whenever they ate them, it was because they were in the field and absolutely ravenous.

Raptor

MREs have never impressed me one way or another as to their edibility. They are not great and a steady diet of diet of them will likewise pose issues but when hungry they are better than starving.

Cannibalism is right out...nope...Not a chance.

As for zombies rotten flesh is also right out.

So by default that leaves MREs. If that was literally all I had, nothing else would grow and there was nothing else edible that was safe I would likely skip some meals and mix up some of the snacks and entrees to get some variety.

Still that does sound bleak.
I think I would change my table habits and wolf down the protein to get to the minimum caloric intake to fend off monotony. The days of savoring the gumbo would be gone.

Folks you are on your own...Plan and act accordingly!

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk