Recent SCOTUS rulings may lead to unrest in your area - be extra careful!

Started by NT2C, June 24, 2022, 01:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NT2C

I won't allow any debate on the most recent SCOTUS Roe v. Wade ruling here.  There's far too much politics involved and emotions on this run very high. It is not a topic germane to the core reasons this site exists; it is a topic with the capability to turn friends into foes, and we do not need that in our little online community.  What we do need, all of us here in the USA, is extra vigilance as we travel about during the coming days.  Beware of getting caught up in large demonstrations that may turn violent.  Beware of acts that may carry legal penalties.  Beware of protests that may arise near your workplace or residence. Have a plan of action and rendevous location to meet up with family/friends if you need to bug out.  Check your bug-out bags and INCH bags now and keep them close at hand, but do not put yourself in jeopardy trying to retrieve them if you're separated.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

Lambykins

Quote from: NT2C on June 24, 2022, 01:37:58 PMI won't allow any debate on the most recent SCOTUS Roe v. Wade ruling here.  There's far too much politics involved and emotions on this run very high. It is not a topic germane to the core reasons this site exists; it is a topic with the capability to turn friends into foes, and we do not need that in our little online community.  What we do need, all of us here in the USA, is extra vigilance as we travel about during the coming days.  Beware of getting caught up in large demonstrations that may turn violent.  Beware of acts that may carry legal penalties.  Beware of protests that may arise near your workplace or residence. Have a plan of action and rendevous location to meet up with family/friends if you need to bug out.  Check your bug-out bags and INCH bags now and keep them close at hand, but do not put yourself in jeopardy trying to retrieve them if you're separated.
SCOTUS also handed down another ruling on Miranda and the police. That may cause somewhat of a ruckus as well in larger cities.
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

12_Gauge_Chimp

Best advice I can give is just keep your head on a swivel, keep an eye out for sketchy or riled up folks and make a note of exit points whether you're in a store or outside.

Also, avoiding places where potential protests may pop up (by courthouses, city halls and elsewhere) would be a good idea too.

Raptor

Been prepping for a while for this one. 

The announced plan of coordinated violence got my attention as well as recent coordinated acts of vandalism.

The good news for me at least today is that there is an unusual Extreme Heat Advisory for the area and no one is in a mood to walk around in the daytime here. 
Folks you are on your own...Plan and act accordingly!

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

12_Gauge_Chimp

Another thing is social media will be used to coordinate any protests or unrest.

Anyone planning a protest will almost certainly use social media, be it Twitter, Facebook or TikTok to coordinate meetups to protest. Whether or not any unrest occurs is totally up to the folks protesting.

Most will likely just be there to protest, but there's also a strong possibility of bad actors mixed in the crowds looking for any excuse to wreck stuff.

tirls

Another thing is to remove car stickers with political / religious messages. Those were among the first to burn when I still lived in certain areas.

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: tirls on June 24, 2022, 04:16:08 PMAnother thing is to remove car stickers with political / religious messages. Those were among the first to burn when I still lived in certain areas.

That's a good idea, Tirls.

Not too much of that in my AO, but I also live in a sort of rural area so that could be why. But that's still good advice for folks who live in other areas.

SCBrian

Quote from: tirls on June 24, 2022, 04:16:08 PMAnother thing is to remove car stickers with political / religious messages. Those were among the first to burn when I still lived in certain areas.
I always felt this is good advise political or not, as there is a lot you can learn from window/bumper stickers...
Here is a great read:
https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=126.0

BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

SCBrian

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on June 24, 2022, 04:04:13 PMAnother thing is social media will be used to coordinate any protests or unrest.

We are lucky/unlucky (depending on your viewpoint) to host SEAHAWK locally.  It's primary mission is port and infrastructure security, but under that they also view local security, since disruptions locally will impact the ports.  They have been used in social media monitoring, and informtation comout out has been used to prepare for riots/demonstrations/etc. 
It's a heck of a command, and I really don't see how they exist since it almost runs as it's own command with no command structure...
QuoteRepresentatives for SLED and the Coast Guard say that SEAHAWK is where local, state, and federal agencies collaborate and coordinate on everything from natural disasters and boating under the influence to bank robberies and the Cooper River Bridge Run.
SLED referred to SEAHAWK's operating style as a "unified command," meaning that no singular agency or individual oversees what occurs there and there are no official SEAHAWK standards of accountability.
Each agency involved in SEAHAWK is responsible for the pay and behavior of their employees who are assigned there, according to SLED and the Coast Guard. The work conducted by the sheriff's office inside SEAHAWK is considered to be sheriff's office business, not SEAHAWK business.

Article here:  Article

So we have a command, with no structure, staffed by city/county/state PO's /DHS/DOD/Alphabet Agencies and civilians.  What could possibly go wrong  :panic:   :icon_crazy:

tl;dr:  Dont assume that social media posts fly under the eyes of the gov't.   Also don't assume that social media posts may be seen/acted upon by the govt.
BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

echo83

I'm glad we can discuss this in a civil way. It's what makes this community and site awesome. 

What a week, huh? SCOTUS in NY, plus the new gun bill, plus Roe V. Wade...

...and now they want to lower nicotine levels in cigarettes in the US? 

I'm not going to go full tinfoil just yet, but it's hard to think of a more effective way to rile people up. 

RickOShea

Quote from: echo83 on June 25, 2022, 12:37:58 PMI'm glad we can discuss this in a civil way. It's what makes this community and site awesome.

What a week, huh? SCOTUS in NY, plus the new gun bill, plus Roe V. Wade...

...and now they want to lower nicotine levels in cigarettes in the US?

I'm not going to go full tinfoil just yet, but it's hard to think of a more effective way to rile people up.

And the Gub'mint outright banned all Juul products on Thursday....but a Judge gave them something like a two week reprieve on Friday. IIRC, Juul has like a 65% share of the vape tobacco market.

Uomo Senza Nome

The WSJ published an article last week covering the Alito point of view of the ruling leak.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/justice-samuel-alito-this-made-us-targets-of-assassination-dobbs-leak-abortion-court-74624ef9?mod=opinion_lead_pos5

TLDR-
The leak of the decision was believed to be a naked attempt to intimidate the court into not making the decision as written. The leak did spawn well organized and coordinated protests in front of the residences where Justices believed to be in support of the ruling. However it didn't work. Given those involved this was destined to fail.

Whatever your feelings may be about the ruling, threatening to murder SCOTUS judges to achieve a favorable rulings is stupid, thuggish and shows no respect for ROL. Any person of high character will simply ignore it or become more resolved.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid. "

"There's plain few problems can't be solved with a little sweat and hard work."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk