Forum Upgrade Coming

Started by NT2C, March 17, 2022, 10:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NT2C

A new version of our forum software was released back in early February.  I decided to wait and see if it needed any tweaks and, sure enough, an update was released a week later.  Now that it has been stable for a month, and that the author of all our mods has released new versions to work with the new software, I can begin the process of upgrading the system.  I started that tonight by beginning to gather all the new packages and files and getting them ready for upload.

Because upgrading is a process not without hazards, and because I will be going to pick up Lamby and get her moved to her new place in the first week of April, I feel it is best to wait until after I get back from that.  This way I will be able to devote my full attention to any difficulties that may arise.

I'm going to tentatively schedule the upgrade for the overnight hours of April 14-15.  The system will be locked and taken offline @ 0001 EDT on 4/15 until the upgrade is completed.

The new system includes some pretty nice upgrades, including a new post editor (WYSIWYG) and a native mobile access mode (no more need for an app or mod).

Dates have been extended due to long recovery time from moving Lambykins
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

majorhavoc

Looking forward to playing with all the new bells and whistles.  Thanks for.the heads up so we won't panic should things go temporarily awry.

I would have blamed it on the Russians anyway.
A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!
<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

flybynight

"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

NapalmMan67

keeping fingers crossed it'll have an option to just upload photos from our PC too?    :smiley_chinrub:
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

NT2C

Quote from: NapalmMan67 on March 18, 2022, 03:36:25 PM
keeping fingers crossed it'll have an option to just upload photos from our PC too?    :smiley_chinrub:
We have that option now.  :shades:

Current Weather in My AO

NapalmMan67

Quote from: NT2C on March 18, 2022, 04:42:02 PM

SOAB... I'll have to review that again.  Seems like I couldn't get that to work before, but it's probably OE.    :rolleyes1:

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

NT2C

Quote from: NapalmMan67 on March 22, 2022, 12:09:54 PM
Quote from: NT2C on March 18, 2022, 04:42:02 PM

SOAB... I'll have to review that again.  Seems like I couldn't get that to work before, but it's probably OE.    :rolleyes1:

Needs to be uploaded as an attachment and be under 25mb each, and 40mb total if multiple images.  Even those sizes may be rejected due to server settings we can't change (unless we buy/build our own machine) but anything up to 10mb should absolutely work.

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C

System will be locked and taken down for upgrade at 1800 EDT

Current Weather in My AO

EBuff75

Is there going to be anywhere to check the status of the upgrade while it's underway?
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

NT2C

Quote from: EBuff75 on April 15, 2022, 05:19:30 PM
Is there going to be anywhere to check the status of the upgrade while it's underway?
No, the site will most likely be offline.

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C

Well, we're kinda back.  We had some difficulties with the upgrade and some stuff got messed up but I'll be working over the weekend to get it all fixed.  Right now I'm still in the process of getting the modifications we had reinstalled, that can take all week so please be patient as I try to reconstruct things that got borked.

Current Weather in My AO

majorhavoc

Quote from: NT2C on April 15, 2022, 07:52:46 PMWell, we're kinda back.  We had some difficulties with the upgrade and some stuff got messed up but I'll be working over the weekend to get it all fixed.  Right now I'm still in the process of getting the modifications we had reinstalled, that can take all week so please be patient as I try to reconstruct things that got borked.
Back on line, sort of.  No worries.  Take as much time as you need, do things right. We'll be right here when you come back.
A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!
<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

NT2C

Right now I'm having an issue getting the media embedder updated.  Blasted thing insists there's a directory permission preventing it from uploading but all the others uploaded just fine.

Current Weather in My AO

Moab

This so AWESOME!!!!!!!

Omg! I van see the site on my samsung phone!!! Yay!!!

I just logged in. So i havent really taken it thru its paces. But hell ya! Good job nt2c!!!
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Anianna

Just FYI, the Aurora theme doesn't play nicely with nested quotes.  It puts some as a white background with white text.  I don't know if that's adjustable or not, so thought I would let you know.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

∩(=^_^=)

NT2C

Quote from: Anianna on April 16, 2022, 08:01:30 PMJust FYI, the Aurora theme doesn't play nicely with nested quotes.  It puts some as a white background with white text.  I don't know if that's adjustable or not, so thought I would let you know.
Yes, but I'm keeping it anyway as it's easier on the eyes at 3AM on your phone.

Current Weather in My AO

slipkid42

Is there an option to make it look like it did before this upgrade?  Everything is smaller on my laptop than it was before.  Not text size but all of the thread windows are smaller size, if that makes sense. 
"Savor the fruit of life, my young friends. It has a sweet taste when it is fresh from the vine, but don't live too long. The taste turns bitter ... after a time." --Kor, The Dahar Master

NT2C

Quote from: slipkid42 on April 16, 2022, 09:44:22 PMIs there an option to make it look like it did before this upgrade?  Everything is smaller on my laptop than it was before.  Not text size but all of the thread windows are smaller size, if that makes sense. 
Unfortunately, no.  This is the new default theme used on the SMF software.  The previous theme is for a different version and won't work with this one.

Current Weather in My AO

Anianna

Quote from: NT2C on April 16, 2022, 09:22:37 PM
Quote from: Anianna on April 16, 2022, 08:01:30 PMJust FYI, the Aurora theme doesn't play nicely with nested quotes.  It puts some as a white background with white text.  I don't know if that's adjustable or not, so thought I would let you know.
Yes, but I'm keeping it anyway as it's easier on the eyes at 3AM on your phone.

Yea, I'm a fan of dark mode, just a little miffed that it's hard to find a solid dark mode theme that isn't problematic in some way.  The SociWT would be great if it didn't have transparency in the dialogue boxes against a patterned background and Aurora has the weird nesting box issue where it doesn't adjust the nested text to black against the white.  Again, I wasn't sure if any adjustments could be made to those or if they just are as they are.

Alien_Shades_21_2 is growing on me. 

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

Quote from: slipkid42 on April 16, 2022, 09:44:22 PMIs there an option to make it look like it did before this upgrade?  Everything is smaller on my laptop than it was before.  Not text size but all of the thread windows are smaller size, if that makes sense. 

If you are on PC, you can press the ctrl button while scrolling up or down with your mousewheel to adjust the size of any website.  I have this site set to 160% because my eyesight is terrible and I've been wearing bifocals since I was 14 (junior high and high school were fun for me...).

∩(=^_^=)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk