What did you do today for your bug out vehicle?

Started by NT2C, January 07, 2022, 05:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12_Gauge_Chimp

Every now and then someone in my AO will post one of those little Honda trail bikes for sale and I'm always tempted to buy one.

Only problem is I never learned how to ride a bike like that and I'm pretty sure I'd wipe out big time if I ever tried riding one.

Well, that and I'm not sure if those little bikes would be suited to someone my size.

superduder

I'm 5'11" and 250lbs (I know, I'm working on it.)
And mine when stock would drag my big butt, while wearing a 20lb pack, and with 2G extra fuel strapped on
the 260mi round trip to Phoenix and back at an average of 35mph no problem.
The real Honda's seem to have more power in a 72cc than these replicas have in a 125cc.
But that helps with the engine not being able to overtax itself.

Maybe something like a CT90/110 would work better for you,
Same semi-auto trans, more ground clearance, more visibility, parts availability,
And you could always do a full postie bike build, and then swap up to a 140cc chinabike engine into it
if you really wanted more power.
J
"I get it, I get it... But it's Still a pain in the ass."
Shawn Kelly

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: superduder on August 13, 2022, 04:53:41 PMI'm 5'11" and 250lbs (I know, I'm working on it.)
And mine when stock would drag my big butt, while wearing a 20lb pack, and with 2G extra fuel strapped on
the 260mi round trip to Phoenix and back at an average of 35mph no problem.
The real Honda's seem to have more power in a 72cc than these replicas have in a 125cc.
But that helps with the engine not being able to overtax itself.

Maybe something like a CT90/110 would work better for you,
Same semi-auto trans, more ground clearance, more visibility, parts availability,
And you could always do a full postie bike build, and then swap up to a 140cc chinabike engine into it
if you really wanted more power.
J

If I were more mechanically inclined, I might consider that. As it sits, I barely know how to change a tire. My three brothers got the mechanical knowledge and I got the short end of the stick in that regard.

And I didn't even notice it was a replica of a Honda. It looks really close to the actual ones.

flybynight

How about a little more info on the honda clone? Make, model, price and POP?
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

superduder

Mine (Whitey) is a 2020 Icebear Champion 125,
124cc Lifan, Semi-Auto 4spd Comes with the rear rack (some don't)
Came with soft street tread Scooter tires, 15F 36R sprockets and #420 chain.
I replaced the original 19mm carb with a single inlet 20mm mikuni knockoff and eliminated my "res" setting.
Re jetted to a 92Main and a 35Idle jets, put an original style CT70 airbox/filter on it,
Replaced the rear sprocket with a 32T (smallest you can go without machining the hub)
and switched out for #428 chain, same pitch but Way stronger.
Drilled out a few holes in the endcap of the exhaust and now top out at 57mph (gps).
Replaced the scooter tires with Shinko 421 "golden boy" knobbies like on original CT70s,
Read up/Watched my Keith Code and now get up to 58 degree lean angle in corners.
I added the front "Postie Bike" rack, scavenged a Coleman "8" cooler to bolt onto that,
Because 5hr rides one way are a thing. Bought the fore mentioned C70 basket and a random freezer basket
to bolt onto the rear rack, The gas tank is under the seat, So saddle bags are a non-option for his bike (imo).

I can add links for all the mods if Y'all want.

If you can find these at online retailers, they're currently going for $1,200-$1,700 Usually shipping is included.
I got mine on sale for $1K even, All my mods cost about $300, and I've put right at...
2159km so 1341mi.

Okay that's make, model, price, What's "POP"?
J
Shawn Kelly

Crosscut

Quote from: superduder on August 13, 2022, 03:54:09 PMSo scouting/trail clearing ahead seems like it's going to be fairly important for us... Am I going overboard explaining this?

Nope, and the specs/mods answered most of my other questions.  So Whitey rides in the Apache trailer until needed, then you scout ahead while the rest of your group follows 1-2 miles behind.  And you stay in touch by radio if the cell phone network is down?

Bringing a second means of motorized travel on a bugout is our plan too, and unless there's snow that means our DRZ 400 dual sport.  I got the street legal version then mod'ed it to be more offroad capable since that's the type of pleasure riding I enjoy.  Using it to scout ahead during the bugout isn't part of our primary plan, the most likely situation I envision is being trapped in traffic and possibly needing to abandon the truck and use the bike to finish the trip.  But once at the BOL it'd also be used to scout the area around us, and as a fuel efficient means of transportation for short trips.

flybynight

Quote from: superduder on August 13, 2022, 10:16:41 PMMine (Whitey) is a 2020 Icebear Champion 125,
124cc Lifan, Semi-Auto 4spd Comes with the rear rack (some don't)
Came with soft street tread Scooter tires, 15F 36R sprockets and #420 chain.
I replaced the original 19mm carb with a single inlet 20mm mikuni knockoff and eliminated my "res" setting.
Re jetted to a 92Main and a 35Idle jets, put an original style CT70 airbox/filter on it,
Replaced the rear sprocket with a 32T (smallest you can go without machining the hub)
and switched out for #428 chain, same pitch but Way stronger.
Drilled out a few holes in the endcap of the exhaust and now top out at 57mph (gps).
Replaced the scooter tires with Shinko 421 "golden boy" knobbies like on original CT70s,
Read up/Watched my Keith Code and now get up to 58 degree lean angle in corners.
I added the front "Postie Bike" rack, scavenged a Coleman "8" cooler to bolt onto that,
Because 5hr rides one way are a thing. Bought the fore mentioned C70 basket and a random freezer basket
to bolt onto the rear rack, The gas tank is under the seat, So saddle bags are a non-option for his bike (imo).

I can add links for all the mods if Y'all want.

If you can find these at online retailers, they're currently going for $1,200-$1,700 Usually shipping is included.
I got mine on sale for $1K even, All my mods cost about $300, and I've put right at...
2159km so 1341mi.

Okay that's make, model, price, What's "POP"?
J
Point of purchase.  So you already covered it :slide:

SCBrian

Quote from: superduder on August 13, 2022, 10:16:41 PMIf you can find these at online retailers, they're currently going for $1,200-$1,700 Usually shipping is included.
2159km so 1341mi.

That seems like a heck of a bang-for-buck.  Real life capacity/speed question - I normally drive a pickup, but 50%+ of my driving is to/from work (15miles round trip).  She's an older girl (2001 Silverado) with a strong engine, but that makes her thirsty.  I've pondered getting something for the run to/from work.  The biggest problem is that most of the run (5 miles) is along a major dimly lit highway at 5am or before.  Can the bike maintain a decent speed (say 55moh) with ~240# on it, and what do you think the fuel consumption would be at those conditions?

BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

superduder

"So Whitey rides in the Apache trailer until needed, then you scout ahead while the rest of your group follows 1-2 miles behind.  And you stay in touch by radio if the cell phone network is down?"

100 percent right on the radio part, but I'll be riding ahead the whole way.
We're planning on having to beat feet in not so great conditions, since we live in the "not so great" part of Tucson.
Luckily there's only 8-10mi of city before we get to the trails part of the trip.

"Can the bike maintain a decent speed (say 55mph) with ~240# on it"
With stock gearing/carb no chance, It just doesn't have the lungs/legs for it.
with the carb/jets/sprocket change "Whitey" tops out pinned WoT at 57mph...
although if I hit a downhill section I have had it up to 74mph (gps) going down north 7th street in Phoenix
(2mi straight downhill) :smiley_clap:

As far as the mileage when pinned, it cuts down to about 60-70mpg but that's pinned.
There are more mods to squeeze more from the 125,
but at that point a 140cc engine (which is plug-n-play and cost an additional $650 +s&h from Trail Buddy)
may be a better purchase.
The place I got Whitey from (https://www.kronikracing.com/) isn't carrying them anymore,
but they have Grom Clones supposedly in stock, if the semi-auto isn't a deal killer.

https://www.cajunmaddogs.com/ supposedly has the CT clones in stock and selling for $1500.
Shawn Kelly

tirls

Quote from: SCBrian on August 14, 2022, 09:02:39 AMThat seems like a heck of a bang-for-buck.  Real life capacity/speed question - I normally drive a pickup, but 50%+ of my driving is to/from work (15miles round trip).  She's an older girl (2001 Silverado) with a strong engine, but that makes her thirsty.  I've pondered getting something for the run to/from work.  The biggest problem is that most of the run (5 miles) is along a major dimly lit highway at 5am or before.  Can the bike maintain a decent speed (say 55moh) with ~240# on it, and what do you think the fuel consumption would be at those conditions?
Potentially stupid idea, but have you thought about one of the small used Asian or European cars like a VW Golf or Nissan Micra?

We´ve got an old ill-maintained Opel Corsa and use around 5 – 6 litres per 100 km. Higher than one of those small dirt bikes but should be a lot less than a pickup. It´s very easy to repair, does 85 mph on longer distances and you can get them around 500€ around here. Manages field roads and hills without problems and has managed to survive a crash with only a tiny dent in the bonnet while the involved mid-sized car had to be scrapped.

Not as pretty as the Whitey though. :smiley_hearteyes:

NapalmMan67

Quote from: NapalmMan67 on August 05, 2022, 02:58:24 PMToday I ordered a new air filter and a tailgate assist piston (because I ain't getting any younger).

Installed both along with a new cabin air filter.  Really like the tailgate piston/damper.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

sheddi

Went for a 10-day, 1600-mile vacation with my wife and both teen kids in my new-to-me 2013 Fiat 500L Trekking (mine is yellow and looks just like the one in this review).

Map from Google showing the main destinations:

Drove from the south of England to the highlands of Scotland, saw Loch Ness and Ben Nevis, then back to Cumbria and the Lake District.

Take-homes:
  • We all fit and we didn't fall out!
  • Luggage room is tight for a 10-day trip, but there was room for a couple of bags each, a laptop bag and a coolbox in the trunk, plus a personal bag each in the cabin.
  • The 1.6 turbodiesel returned 52 UKmpg, about 43 USmpg, which gives a 550 mile range on a full tank.

flybynight

Quote from: sheddi on August 21, 2022, 11:57:55 AMWent for a 10-day, 1600-mile vacation with my wife and both teen kids in my new-to-me 2013 Fiat 500L Trekking (mine is yellow and looks just like the one in this review).

Map from Google showing the main destinations:

Drove from the south of England to the highlands of Scotland, saw Loch Ness and Ben Nevis, then back to Cumbria and the Lake District.

Take-homes:
  • We all fit and we didn't fall out!
  • Luggage room is tight for a 10-day trip, but there was room for a couple of bags each, a laptop bag and a coolbox in the trunk, plus a personal bag each in the cabin.
  • The 1.6 turbodiesel returned 52 UKmpg, about 43 USmpg, which gives a 550 mile range on a full tank.

https://youtu.be/a8k1eTEw4rQ

NapalmMan67

Ordered a set of spark plugs for the "new" BOV.  Since when did spark plugs get to be $10ish each?  Holy carp...  Good thing it's only a V6 and not a V10.

NapalmMan67

Washed it and installed a new set of wipers. 

Someday maybe I'll even get to drive it, if the state issues and mails me my plates anyway. 

NT2C

Just ordered a full set of stainless steel brake lines to replace the lines on my '97 Dakota 4x4, some of which were getting pretty rusted.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

Brekar

Put a new battery in it and it only cost me .50 cents. I was presently surprised that when Sam's Club's Energizer vehicle battery says 3 year warranty, they actually cover everything in that 3 year span. I'm so used to Walmart dicking me around when it comes to battery warranty, that it was definitely nice to have it be in my favor for once.

NapalmMan67

Quote from: NapalmMan67 on September 06, 2022, 03:12:40 PMWashed it and installed a new set of wipers. 

Someday maybe I'll even get to drive it, if the state issues and mails me my plates anyway. 

Finally got it on the road just a day ago after waiting for the state and insurance company to dick around and get everything worked out.  Got to test out the new wipers, as it's been a mini monsoon in our AO today.

It needed a wash, so I guess the rain isn't to unwelcome.

majorhavoc

Four new tires on my Kia Soul. It actually passed state inspection with the old rubber but I could tell last winter that traction was getting a little dicey.

Probably should have replaced them last March but made it through the winter season and the 5000 or so extra miles I got this summer was a bonus I guess. But no way was I going into another winter driving season with marginal rubber.
A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!
<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

NapalmMan67

Installed a hard tonneau cover, not so much for weather intrusion but prying eye/sticky finger intrusion.

Went with a BAK Revolver X4s.  Seems like it'll work well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk