Knife Chat: Slicing to the meat of all things sharp

Started by 12_Gauge_Chimp, July 07, 2021, 04:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aikorob

Quote from: boskone on July 10, 2021, 08:44:43 PM
Quote from: NT2C on July 10, 2021, 08:08:16 PM
I really should buy the bayonet for my BM59 while I can still find them, but they're pricey little bastards.
I've had the same thought about my M1903 and Garand.  Not out of any anticipation of use, though...just for completeness.  I have period-appropriate slings on 'em as well.

Atlanta Cutlery...............can't post a link yet  :headbang:
I  hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

12_Gauge_Chimp

Sarco seems to find boxes of M1903 and Garand bayonets every week it'd seem. From what I've heard of them, their warehouse is massive.

I've heard it described as being like the warehouse at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark", but with rows upon rows of crates filled with military surplus instead of dangerous historical artifacts.

boskone

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on July 11, 2021, 03:07:40 PM
Sarco seems to find boxes of M1903 and Garand bayonets every week it'd seem. From what I've heard of them, their warehouse is massive.

I've heard it described as being like the warehouse at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark", but with rows upon rows of crates filled with military surplus instead of dangerous historical artifacts.
Dang...thanks for the head's-up.

12_Gauge_Chimp

No problem, Boskone.

Sarco has a trench knife I'd like to buy, but they seem to think trench knives are still illegal in Texas. I sent them a message with a link to the Texas statute on knives and how trench knives aren't illegal anymore, but either it got lost in their email or they ignored it.

NT2C

Quote from: aikorob on July 11, 2021, 02:44:16 PM
Quote from: boskone on July 10, 2021, 08:44:43 PM
Quote from: NT2C on July 10, 2021, 08:08:16 PM
I really should buy the bayonet for my BM59 while I can still find them, but they're pricey little bastards.
I've had the same thought about my M1903 and Garand.  Not out of any anticipation of use, though...just for completeness.  I have period-appropriate slings on 'em as well.

Sorry about that but it was either a small inconvienece for new members until they reached a reasonable post count, or having moderators review every post.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

boskone

woodsghost

Quote from: boskone on July 11, 2021, 07:45:31 PM
This?

Also looks interesting.

So I don't really need anything there.

But I want....a lot....

aikorob

This?

Also looks interesting.
yep, I have a 1917 Enfield bayonet on the way

FYI---Mike Williamson----    sharppointythings.com   used to offer a service to make any  blade into a functioning bayonet
I  hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

boskone

Quote from: woodsghost on July 11, 2021, 08:00:50 PM
This?

Also looks interesting.

So I don't really need anything there.

But I want....a lot....
An eternal conundrum.  "Ooh, neat" versus "That money would look really good in a savings account".

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: aikorob on July 11, 2021, 09:15:07 PM
This?

Also looks interesting.
yep, I have a 1917 Enfield bayonet on the way

FYI---Mike Williamson----    sharppointythings.com   used to offer a service to make any  blade into a functioning bayonet

If anyone has a way to contact him, maybe we ought to extend an invitation to join UFoZS to him.

Mr. E. Monkey

http://imgur.com/a/9M2M0WR

So, I got a Benchmade Mini Griptillian through my last job, a few years ago.   Turns out,  it holds an edge pretty well.   :icon_crazy:
Quote from: SMoAF'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Quote from: BeowolfDisasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
Quote from: wee drop o' bushTHE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS!  :lol:

woodsghost

Quote from: Mr. E. Monkey on August 06, 2021, 02:33:12 PM

http://imgur.com/a/9M2M0WR

So, I got a Benchmade Mini Griptillian through my last job, a few years ago.   Turns out,  it holds an edge pretty well.  :icon_crazy:

Well.... Be more careful! Nice pics you embedded. Very good cut. Doesn't look like it needs stitches?

Mr. E. Monkey

Quote from: woodsghost on August 06, 2021, 02:41:48 PM
Well.... Be more careful! Nice pics you embedded. Very good cut. Doesn't look like it needs stitches?

Thanks!  I don't know why my text was so small there, but here it is again, normal-sized:
So, I got a Benchmade Mini Griptillian through my last job, a few years ago.   Turns out,  it holds an edge pretty well..
[/size]
[/size]Short story long, I was trying to cut open an under-ripe pignut, fruit and all.  I made a few decent cuts, was starting on another, and thought "gee, I should maybe move my thumb out of the way," but before I could, the nut shifted, the blade slipped, and chopped into my thumb.  (No slicing involved, it just went straight in.)
[/size]
[/size]I sat there looking at it like an idiot for a second.
[/size]
[/size]Ow.  That stings a little.
[/size]
:awesome:

It bled pretty well for a little bit, and I figured it was probably good to let it flush itself out a little.  Put some pressure on it, and then a bandage.  Put a clean bandage on it a few minutes ago, and there was hardly any blood on the old one, so I figure it's probably okay.

I hadn't cut myself like that in months.  I guess I got a little careless, and paid the idiot tax. 

Lessons learned:

• If you think it's a bad idea, it probably is.
  • Make sure what you're trying to cut is stable.
  • Do that BEFORE you try to cut anything!
  • Use the right tool for the job.  A pocket knife was not it for this one.
  • Maintain awareness of where your fingers (and anything else you don't want to cut) are, relative to what you are cutting.
  • Respect your tools (see #4)
Quote from: SMoAF'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Quote from: BeowolfDisasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
Quote from: wee drop o' bushTHE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS!  :lol:

12_Gauge_Chimp

I've got a nice faint scar on the tip of my right index finger after slicing it open with a small Kershaw knife while trying to slice a banana one time.

I was getting ready to head out to run an errand when I decided I wanted a quick snack. Out comes the Kershaw and I guess I didn't get my finger out of the way enough because two seconds later, I'm cursing and looking for some peroxide and a bandaid.

I will say that the Kershaw did a fantastic job of cutting the banana and my finger, though.

Tony D Tiger

RickOShea

About ten years ago a bunch of us were hangin' out in the Lineman's lounge, drinking coffee and waiting for the clock on the wall to say "go home", when one of our Apprentices managed to damn near cut all the way thru the tendon on his left index finger.....He was using one of those pull-thru butterfly sharpeners on his wire skinning knife.

After the surgery, he was on light-duty for like eight weeks, waiting for it to heal-up. Of course he got a new nickname, "Timmy Tendon", which was shortened to "2T", which morphed into "Tootie".  :icon_crazy:

boskone

Yet another reason no-one should ever use one of those things.  :p

RickOShea

Picked-up an old Collins-Plymouth machete from eBay. I had one when i was like 12 years old, so just reliving some childhood nostalgia.  :icon_crazy:

12_Gauge_Chimp

Nice blade, Rick.

I'm assuming the sheath isn't factory since those probably would've been made of canvas or nylon with a belt loop, right ?

RickOShea

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on September 21, 2021, 08:25:26 PM
Nice blade, Rick.

I'm assuming the sheath isn't factory since those probably would've been made of canvas or nylon with a belt loop, right ?
Nope. A lot of those old Central American made machetes came with a frilly leather scabbard. The one I bought 35 years ago had one too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk