Knife Chat: Slicing to the meat of all things sharp

Started by 12_Gauge_Chimp, July 07, 2021, 04:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12_Gauge_Chimp

What are y'alls opinions on having a fixed blade knife attached to a chest rig or a plate carrier ?

I don't yet have a battle belt, so most of my gear rides on my chest rig or my plate carrier set up. That includes a fixed blade of some type (chest rig has a SOG Seal Pup knife and my plate carrier has a Gerber Prodigy on it).

I looked up a few rig set ups online and a few have knives on them and others don't. There seems to be a bunch of arguments regarding the pros and cons of each set up as well.

Do any of y'all carry a knife on your plate carrier or chest rigs ?

NT2C

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on July 07, 2021, 04:30:47 PM
What are y'alls opinions on having a fixed blade knife attached to a chest rig or a plate carrier ?

I don't yet have a battle belt, so most of my gear rides on my chest rig or my plate carrier set up. That includes a fixed blade of some type (chest rig has a SOG Seal Pup knife and my plate carrier has a Gerber Prodigy on it).

I looked up a few rig set ups online and a few have knives on them and others don't. There seems to be a bunch of arguments regarding the pros and cons of each set up as well.

Your Texas state laws are a lot different from my VA laws.  SMoAF warned me once that the fixed blade I routinely carried on my belt became a felony if I put a jacket on, and if carried with a firearm, even with my permit, would get me jail time.  I don't carry anything that doesn't fold or have a blade under 3" since.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: NT2C on July 07, 2021, 04:36:44 PM

Your Texas state laws are a lot different from my VA laws.  SMoAF warned me once that the fixed blade I routinely carried on my belt became a felony if I put a jacket on, and if carried with a firearm, even with my permit, would get me jail time.  I don't carry anything that doesn't fold or have a blade under 3" since.

As of a couple years ago (2017, I believe) Texas removed the blade length limits and made it legal to carry a fixed blade of whatever length a user wanted.

Not entirely sure if the blade has to be carried openly or can be concealed, though. I typically carry my EDC blade openly and haven't had any issues.

The handful of times I've been stopped was just by curious folks asking what type of knife I was carrying.

woodsghost

Not at the moment. I want a "get off me" knife. Others will carry a multi tool.

I would consider rubber banding a knife to the carrier with the intention of putting it on my belt if in a grab-N-go situation.

12_Gauge_Chimp

I suppose the fixed blades I've got on my plate carrier and chest rig could be used as "Get off me" knives.

I just set them up on each rig because I pretty much copied some photos I'd seen of soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. I figured they'd be more like utility tools instead of fighting knives.

If I can find a couple, I may swap the fixed blades with maybe a push dagger or one of those Ka Bar TDI knives. Something smaller and that'd take up less space on either set up.

NT2C

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on July 07, 2021, 06:23:07 PM
I suppose the fixed blades I've got on my plate carrier and chest rig could be used as "Get off me" knives.

I just set them up on each rig because I pretty much copied some photos I'd seen of soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. I figured they'd be more like utility tools instead of fighting knives.

If I can find a couple, I may swap the fixed blades with maybe a push dagger or one of those Ka Bar TDI knives. Something smaller and that'd take up less space on either set up.
Serrated or non?  Color preference?

That one was gifted by a good friend of mine and lives in my office as a last-ditch weapon with that big 9mm I let you shoot

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: NT2C on July 07, 2021, 07:21:41 PM

That one was gifted by a good friend of mine and lives in my office as a last-ditch weapon with that big 9mm I let you shoot

Non serrated and no color preference.

I find the non serrated knives are easier to sharpen if necessary. That and I have no idea how to properly sharpen a serrated blade.

I really ought to learn since quite a few of my knives have serrations.

flybynight

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on July 07, 2021, 07:44:45 PM

I find the non serrated knives are easier to sharpen if necessary. That and I have no idea how to properly sharpen a serrated blade.

I don't have a chest rig , but the conversation reminded me of the picture from Helm Forge of the  Benghazi warfighter carried scout style.

Can't really tell if it's attached to his belt or chest rig.

The only thing I've used for serrated blades is this
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

Works well
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

boskone

That and I have no idea how to properly sharpen a serrated blade.

Basically the same as regular sharpening, but you need a tapered rod.  Otherwise it's the same process: light on the forward stroke, medium on the backward stroke.

This actually reminded me to go sharpen my two favorite kitchen knives.  I kept forgetting because I don't usually need a knife after the initial bit of cooking, and I can't leave the kitchen in the middle, so I generally end up just forgetting.  They're nicely sharpened and polished now, but I did find a tiny nick in my 5" chef knife's blade.  I hope it's a nick, at least; if not, it's a crack.

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: flybynight on July 07, 2021, 08:01:27 PM

I don't have a chest rig , but the conversation reminded me of the picture from Helm Forge of the  Benghazi warfighter carried scout style.

Works well

Looks to me like it's attached to his belt.

12_Gauge_Chimp

As for sharpening knives, I'm still very much an amateur at it.

I'm seriously considering picking up one of those Work Sharp electric sharpeners (specifically the Ken Onion model) and sharpening my duller blades with that.

Either I learn how to properly sharpen a knife (which I currently can't do very well) or I toss money to a local knife shop in Midland and have them sharpen my blades.

ETA: I'm currently watching "Gun Stories" on Outdoor Channel and the episode deals with the M60 LMG, but there's a small bit about the MG-42 and earlier MG-34. Every time I think of an MG-34 or 42, I immediately think of SMoAF.

I also wonder what happened to his MG-34.

woodsghost

So why do you want a knife? That is a key question. For a long time I ran a Chicom chest rig and ran a Mora as a neck knife. I eventually tied a Mora to a mag pouch when running a molle chest rig that a friend gave me. But I mostly want to keep weight off the rig. Especially now that I have plates. A Mora does not weigh much, but while urban I switched to a knife more like a prybar. A Navy MK3. That goes to my belt. But now that I'm rural, I need to reconsider the knife.

Generally, I'm not bushcrafting and I'm not getting in knife fights. So what do I need a knife for? That is why most people go with a multi tool.

boskone

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on July 07, 2021, 09:07:06 PM
As for sharpening knives, I'm still very much an amateur at it.

I'm seriously considering picking up one of those Work Sharp electric sharpeners (specifically the Ken Onion model) and sharpening my duller blades with that.

Either I learn how to properly sharpen a knife (which I currently can't do very well) or I toss money to a local knife shop in Midland and have them sharpen my blades.
I actually have one of the Work Sharp electric sharpeners, and I have to recommend against it as a primary sharpener.  It'll get your blade sharp, quick, but there are two downsides: first, it'll put a convex bevel on the primary grind, which will make it harder to sharpen on a stone or whatever later; second, it removes material too fast, and you can reduce a blade by a good 1/16th almost before you know it.

What I'd do is get a cheapie kitchen knife (dollar store, thrift shop, that shitty knife from the back of the drawer, whatever), watch a few videos (Joshua Weissman has a good one...but he's terribly annoying), then sit and watch TV or the sunset and sharpen away.  Once you've got that one down, any other blade is the same basic process but different angles.  Basically: let it 'drag' forward (the blade moving towards the blade edge, applying only it's own weight), then put a few pounds of pressure back (the blade moving towards the spine).  It doesn't need to be a quick motion, and probably shouldn't be (easier to maintain consistency).

For basic sharpening, I'd get a set of DMT diamond stones.  I have a pair of 8-inch Duosharps (different finishes on each side; one fine/coarse, one fine/extra-fine), which are pricey but I'd highly recommend.  Dad's got a set of single-sided stones in a kinda nice routed wood box (IIRC there's a coarse, a fine, and an extra-fine), which he's had for about as long as I've been alive.  There's also a set for $10 at Harbor Freight that might be good enough for learning on.

If you want to get down to super-nice kitchen knife sharpening, a water stone or two is the way to go.  A 1000/6000 grit combo stone will pretty much cover you, but you can get a whole host of grits; e.g. a 10,000 grit stone with a strop afterward will give a mirror polish and shaving edge.  I have a set of Henckle stones; 300 grit with a 2000 grit on the other side, then a 3000 grit with a 6000 grit; I can take a knife through all four in maybe 10 minutes.  Most of the time I just need to hit the 2000 then 6000 for maintenance.

I use the Duosharps for everything but my kitchen knives; those, I use the water stones and put a mirror edge on.  The coarse Duosharp will remove a lot of material, fast, so it mostly gets used for things like hedge trimmer blades, hatchets, etc with the occasional edge reset of a particularly poorly done knife.

boskone

Quote from: woodsghost on July 07, 2021, 09:30:52 PM

So why do you want a knife? That is a key question. For a long time I ran a Chicom chest rig and ran a Mora as a neck knife. I eventually tied a Mora to a mag pouch when running a molle chest rig that a friend gave me. But I mostly want to keep weight off the rig. Especially now that I have plates. A Mora does not weigh much, but while urban I switched to a knife more like a prybar. A Navy MK3. That goes to my belt. But now that I'm rural, I need to reconsider the knife.

Generally, I'm not bushcrafting and I'm not getting in knife fights. So what do I need a knife for? That is why most people go with a multi tool.
I've always been kinda tempted to get a Countycom breacher bar for rough work in the woods (like batoning, cracking deer bones, etc), then a Mora or something for anything that needs a finer edge.

I do EDC a multitool, because it's usually good enough and a damned site easier than carrying a toolbox everywhere.  :)

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: woodsghost on July 07, 2021, 09:30:52 PM

I suppose I've never really considered why I need a knife on any of my rigs. Aside from the obvious "because I need to cut stuff" thing, I mean. I've always just had one on my stuff.

I just copied the layout of my stuff based off photos I've seen over the years and a lot of them had knives on their plate carriers.

RoneKiln

I picked up a set of lansky sharpening stones about 25 years ago and never regretted it. 5 or 6 stones (I'm too lazy to go look) ranging from course to ultra fine plus the angle guides. They let me put a razor sharp edge on a knife real fast.

The kit is a bit too big to pack out into the field though.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

flybynight

Quote from: RoneKiln on July 08, 2021, 12:25:58 AM
I picked up a set of lansky sharpening stones about 25 years ago and never regretted it. 5 or 6 stones (I'm too lazy to go look) ranging from course to ultra fine plus the angle guides. They let me put a razor sharp edge on a knife real fast.

The kit is a bit too big to pack out into the field though.

Sharpest I've ever gotten knives is with my Lansky. My Dad was a old time butcher the first half of his life. He would take a knife to his big block whetstone on the workbench and sixty seconds later hand you back a scary sharp blade.  The first time I saw the Spyderco tri sharpener was a guy at work who could  sharpen the serrated edge of my Endura in just a couple minutes better than new. I remember he used that sharpener for all his knives and tools. No matter what method you use there is a learning curve.
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

MacWa77ace

Quote from: flybynight on July 07, 2021, 08:01:27 PM

Works well

Lots of stuff. Probably need a Blade Chat.

NT2C, yes, when you're wearing a jacket over a blade goes toward concealed carry. I don't know the laws in your state but in FL we have a 'Concealed Weapon or Firearm' license. Which that covers knives that would normally be illegal to conceal without a CWFL. Of course you have to have the license. Your state might not be so all inclusive in the verbiage of your CCL.

12_Gauge
I have them on 2 carriers. one is zip tied on a USGI LBR handle up on strongside.
Another is velcroed between the chest rig and the velcro backing on the molle plate handle up. I had to put velcro tape on the front and back of the kydex knife sheath to do that. Attachments and location are based on what works and is secure.

As far as that soldier in the photo with the knife on the back of the belt. I'd bet a dollar he has another on the front side somewhere. A knife in that position at the 6 o'clock is inaccessible as a 'get off me' if you are on your back and someone is on top of you. That position is strictly backup IMO. I've tried that before but not anymore for the reasons stated. Both on the bottom of a LBR/PC and on belt.
Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Ask me about my Fully Semi-Automatic 30-Mag clip death gun that's as heavy as 10 boxes.

NT2C

Yeah, in VA it's a CHP (concealed handgun permit) and knives are quite clearly and specifically not covered under one.

In any case, this whole knife discussion rightly belongs in the Blades area.

Current Weather in My AO

EBuff75

Quote from: NT2C on July 08, 2021, 11:01:09 AM
Yeah, in VA it's a CHP (concealed handgun permit) and knives are quite clearly and specifically not covered under one.

In any case, this whole knife discussion rightly belongs in the Blades area.
Same thing in Michigan.  It's a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) and that's all that's covered.  The only "perk" is that a CPL also lets you carry a taser, but only the gun style which fires probes; handheld stun guns are illegal.  *scratches head*
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk