DIY truck camper, possible build series...?

Started by superduder, June 20, 2021, 07:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superduder

Quote from: majorhavoc on December 09, 2023, 03:34:34 PM
Quote from: superduder on December 09, 2023, 03:27:34 PMMoving on to the next step for the camper
There's something that has always bothered me,
That happens in a LOT of "apocalypse/survival/preparedness" fiction.
They lament to no end the lack of refrigeration, but never even try a propane, kerosene,
Or 3 way fridge.

I do keep hearing how "These really don't work very well."
Or
"They take too long to cool down, and don't get that cold."
Or
"Dometics can only cool to 20 degrees below ambient."

On the Dometic thing, I'm assuming they're talking about the "chip" powered coolers.
So, fine. You'd be right on that one.

But the whole camper fridges don't work thing is malarkey.
I've personally used propane, kerosene, or 3-way camper fridges
Here in AZ, during nice 60-80deg summers in sw Ohio, and 110deg summers in south Florida.
Never had a problem as far as them cooling properly,
as long as one followed the operation instructions.
And proper maintenance had been done on the unit.

That leads to me getting another 3-way fridge for Redford's camper.
But not being willing to pay $350-$3K for a new one, I'm stuck scrounging... As is tradition..
So yesterday I picked up a "1960s" Norcold 663 (G) propane only fridge, for free.
Sometimes I hate camper remodelers other times I like'em.

So it's missing screws for the door hinges, and it could definitely use a decent cleaning,
but it should work for at least a porch fridge in emergency situations.
More pics and posts about that coming.

Assuming you'll need to recharge the freon?
Way simpler absorption type system in these.
It's an ammonia and water solution, so..
No recharging, maybe have to "burp" it though.
"I get it, I get it... But it's Still a pain in the ass."
Shawn Kelly

superduder

Didn't notice I didn't have any actual pics of the fridge until after I posted so went out and got a few.
(It's 100% Not Purple, IDK why it showed up purple.)
The p.o. thought the electrics had been stripped, But there never were any, so that simplifies things quite a bit.
You can see how simple it is, So simple in fact that Popular Mechanics actually had a
"build your own refrigerator" article back in the 1920s.(I'll see if I can find the pdf.)
Anyway everything is mechanical on this one.
I'll post a pic of the back/guts later and hopefully it will help explain how it works.
Shawn Kelly

12_Gauge_Chimp

The pics of the truck and camper remind me of the old camper my folks had in the 80s.

It was much larger than this one since it was one of the models built for something like a 70's Ford F150. Which is what I think my folks had it on.

I've got a pic of it around my house somewhere, but I'd have to find the photo album first. I've been meaning to do that anyway.

superduder

Those larger campers were usually built better too.
Heavier = Better materials, insulating, and exterior sealing.
Example: This one's been sitting for 10yrs, still no leaks.
Shawn Kelly

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: superduder on December 11, 2023, 02:57:31 PMThose larger campers were usually built better too.
Heavier = Better materials, insulating, and exterior sealing.
Example: This one's been sitting for 10yrs, still no leaks.

That's about the size of the one my folks had.

Thing was big enough to comfortably fit a family of eight in the late 1980's/early 1990's.

superduder

Believe it or not mine (tiny as it is) is supposed to be able to, With options, accommodate 6... :eek1:
2 in the top bunk, 2 in the dinette bunk and 2 in the "Stretcher Bunk" supported via 4 closet rod sockets..
That's the only way I know to describe them, above the dinette bunk.
Cozy with a capital "Spooning" is what I envision in the "Can Accommodate 6" picture.   :smiley_crocodile:

The larger (12ft) slide in campers are insanely roomy for one person or a couple.
Have showers, "real" Toilets (as opposed to cassette type), decent kitchens, and yeah, usually can sleep 8 comfortably.
The Del Rey pictured below would be as comfortable as a tow behind.

Shawn Kelly

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: superduder on December 11, 2023, 03:54:34 PMBelieve it or not mine (tiny as it is) is supposed to be able to, With options, accommodate 6... :eek1:
2 in the top bunk, 2 in the dinette bunk and 2 in the "Stretcher Bunk" supported via 4 closet rod sockets..
That's the only way I know to describe them, above the dinette bunk.
Cozy with a capitol "Spooning" is what I envision in the "Can Accommodate 6" picture.   :smiley_crocodile:

The larger (12ft) slide in campers are insanely roomy for one person or a couple.
Have showers, "real" Toilets (as opposed to cassette type), decent kitchens, and yeah, usually can sleep 8 comfortably.
The Del Rey pictured below would be as comfortable as a tow behind.

That was the kind of truck my folks had their camper on.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk