Bugging out to a hotel

Started by Rednex, May 21, 2023, 05:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rednex

Not really bug out but maybe mock bug?

So its time for the vacation back to her home area. Well we always get a hotel, I don't really want to stay with her family for a week, and i like " privacy ". Here is a list of stuff we keep in a tote for the every other year vacation to make it better. The Xterra also has a beach umbrella and folding chairs kept in it at all times, as well as tools , fluids, first aid and stuff.

Coffee pot  5 cup from Walmart's hotel room pots ain't big enough
pot filters
coffee mugs Coleman stainless steel 16 oz with lids
pillows
fan small 6 inch plug in fan
batteries for flashlights and stuff
silverware/straws hotel room dinning
pee bottle 1 each for on the road with no place to stop
tp  see above
power strip with usb ports. Helps keep phone charger cords togeather.

day bag:
umbrella
boo boo kit/ with meds
battery bank/chargers
para cord
lighter
smokes
flashlight  Sofirm cp35 from contest here
multi tool
duct tape
nail clipper
nail file
note book with pen, pencil, marker.

Toiletry bag: set up for me and her.
mirror
safety razor
razor blades
shaving cream
cordless trimmer
micro trimmer
nail clippers
nail file
pimple needle
mini scissors
ear spoon
tweezers
scalpel
bobby pins
q tips
shampoo both
soap both
nyquil
mouthwash
loofa

majorhavoc

Not a bad topic considering it's a very reasonable expectation that a lot of us will face a looming natural disaster at least once in our lives, one that may require bugging out to a motel further away from the approaching hurricane/flooding/wildfire/etc.

If this were a real hotel bug out, I'd expect plenty of snacks/easily prepared foods on your list, along with lots of water and one or more powerbanks to keep cellphones and other personal electronics running in case the hotel is also impacted and loses power.

Being middle-aged and male, I have bladder issues, so I also think about things like pee bottles when I'm travelling.  I always have three or four of these in my glove compartment.  Coolrunner disposable urine bags

Also, our own Ever chronicled her unplanned Radisson bug out when her apartment building was being repaired.  It makes for an interesting read about what it's like to be essentially a refugee in a hotel room for an extended stay.  https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=356.0
A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!
<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

Uomo Senza Nome

A good Hotel is great if you have the funds and you are leaving a disaster area and going to an area where there is no disaster. Most have all the resources you will need for a longish stay. The last two times tornadoes blew through here I know several people who simply went to the beach for a couple of weeks until the power was back on and the area cleaned up. When you are in an area where there is no disaster you also have the advantage of having normal resources available should you need a hospital, grocery store, Walmart or whatever. Therefore what you take with you is less important since you can likely get it on the other end.

If you are leaving a disaster and are unsure if you would be able to return, or returning to your home which may be damaged or looted you might want to consider taking with you everything that you that you don't want to live without such as irreplaceable personal items, mementos, documents and the like.

Many crimes occur in hotels. There is a huge amount of variability from cheaper hotels that host a variety of drug addicts and prostitutes to the more expensive hotels that may have armed security and be unaffordable to common criminals. But no hotel is going to be safer than a single family home in a safer area of town. Hotels are especially bad for:
- Vehicle burglaries, mostly unlocked vehicles in the parking lot, but if they see valuables, they will break your windows. Valet parking is safest.
- Armed Room Invasions, often linked to next>
- Assaults & Rapes (often the offender and/or victim is intoxicated on drugs or alcohol)
- Fraud schemes. Often they will ask the victim for money for some sudden emergency. The emergency will get larger if the victim appears better off and can even turn into a robbery if the victim displays a lot of cash.

Crimes tend to surge when the economy is bad or people are forced into migration, such as a disaster.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid. "

"There's plain few problems can't be solved with a little sweat and hard work."

Anianna

I keep silicone travel bottles for things like shampoo and body wash.  I like silicone because it is easy to clean and can be boiled to sterilize if necessary.  It can also go through the washing machine or dishwasher.  Other than toiletries, they can keep items like condiments, liquid or powder medication, dry tea, etc. 

I would add binder clips to your already excellent list.  They can be very useful for things like keeping unruly curtains closed, keeping cords in reach (you can attach the clip to the lip of the table or drawer, remove the arm to guide the cord through it, then reattach the arm), hang wet clothing, etc.  You can also use a binder clip to attach shoes without laces to a hanger if you're in an area with scorpions are just a really sleezy room that probably has roaches (I grew up in some really shitty motels).  

Sanitizing wipes or spray for surfaces can also relieve some anxiety if you end up in a less than stellar motel. 

Don't take a blacklight.  You don't want to know.  Just use your own pillow/pillowcase and take a shower when you get up.  I also keep a light towel just in case I don't trust their towels.

Also, have a plan in advance for dealing with bedbugs.  Even if your hotel room is infested, there are steps you can take to avoid getting them in your house. 
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

∩(=^_^=)

Raptor

Great post.

+1 to Arianna's comments on a uv black light and binder clips.
I bring a pillow case from home for the hotel pillow.

Look for a hotel with self service laundry facilities. Be sure to bring a roll or two of quarters.

IMO his type of BOL is the most likely first stop in any non-EOTW scenario. It is worth planning for this type of bug out.

BTW you should always have a clean towel in your car. Always.
Folks you are on your own...Plan and act accordingly!

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

Blast

Consider joining the guest clubs of the different major hotel chains. These are free, but give you good benefits such as cheaper rates, more "points", or access to other amenities. They may even make the difference between getting a room and not getting one depending on the size of the event.
-Blast
My book*: Outdoor Adventures Guide - Foraging
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Anianna

If you ever need a "cheap" hotel/motel but want to avoid sleezy roach motel, I have found that Comfort Inn and Quality Inn are usually consistently a good option that offer a clean room with some amenities for a good value.  Places like EconoLodge can cost about the same or a smidge less, but vary wildly in quality and cleanliness of the room as well as the busyness and noise of late night clients, if you catch my drift.  All three of these are owned by the same parent company (among others), so the parent company isn't a good indicator of the quality you can expect.

A good rule of thumb is to always check your room for syringes.  I've found several in my lifetime, typically in cheap roach motels, but once in a high-end hotel suite, too.  Found that one by accident and nearly got poked by it as it was stuck in the decorative cover of the bedding.  Check drawers, furniture crevices, under the bed, and in the bedding.  Also, if there's a chair that has a cushion that can be pulled out, pull it out and check or don't sit in the chair.

Uomo Senza Nome brings up a good point about room invasion.  Always use the extra locks.  If your room doesn't have one, it's worth jerry-rigging something that can alert you to a breach or prevent one altogether.  There are a range of door security devices on the market that can be used in hotels/motels and there's always the inexpensive bottle balanced on the doorknob trick as an alert. 

We were once at a hotel suite with the kids and one of them was in the "living room" area on a cot awakened when someone tried to come into our room and got the door open as far as the bolt lock would permit.  Since the bolt lock was enough to stymie the entry, the kiddo didn't tell us until morning.  We did stress to him the importance of waking us up for something like that in the future.  We hope it was just a confused handyman at the wrong room, but we couldn't say for certain.

Also, especially if you have kids, some good things to have in your BOB and vehicle are emesis bags and copious amounts of paper towels.  Trust me, kids get sick at the worst times. 
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

∩(=^_^=)

Rednex

Didn't think it would get this much traffic.

Well in addition to the list I have a latch lock like this but all steel, and  a wooden dowel 3/4" diameter for sliding windows/doors.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Pen-Portable-door-lock/dp/B09DTHSCBP/ref=sr_1_8?crid=70RPUDME1X78&keywords=latch+lock+for+hotel+room&qid=1684795375&sprefix=latch+lock+for+hotel+room%2Caps%2C84&sr=8-8

The shampoos and stuff are bought in the travel size for now, she has the cheap plastic travel bottles she used in the past. We may upgrade to the silicon ones if we travel more then once every 2 years.
We have umm 4 packs of wipes, disinfectant and window, and a few personal hygiene wipes. Also a spray of Lysol disinfectant. I keep a few medium binder clips on my bag, they are handy for stuff. Full set of bath sheet, wash cloth, hand towel kept in Xterra. Taking our own special pillow's, got a bad neck. 

I have a house sitter being here while we are gone. Neighbor will cut the grass for me.

Bedbug's I'm sleeping in the truck at her family farm, or under the stars. Black light oh I know what they can show. Laundry there is a laundromat by her sisters house ( her whole family lives in this small town). I am a member of this hotels vip thingy, but once every 2 years don't give me much. No kids but still believe in  the mighty paper towels.

Her nephew is a regional manager for Quality suites so get his discount.
A case of water is the Xterra, a cooler with beef jerky, peanut butter M&M ( frailly size), Belvita cookies, assorted cracker packs, water flavor enhancers.   

We have (2) 10,000 battery banks charged, and all charging cords for everything in my day(edc) bag.
due to states we will travel through and stuff I will have a .357 mag revolver, 20g semi auto shotgun and her Ruger 10/22, maybe a 9mm of some flavor. We shot skeet and targets at her family's farm when ever we all get together.

Rednex

Well i have time to give a quick AAR.
Driving portion:
So cooler full of snacks/beverages. They did ok but tipped the cooler she filled with ice and not freezer packs so water on the back seat. Beef jerky she didn't like hers so we shared mine. Pee bottles weren't needed, nether was the small trash bags and TP. Still 7 hour bumpy ride suck. Also the Xterra may need new shocks, noticed it was rougher with a small load in the back.

Hotel:
Everything worked like it should. Charging hub, coffee pot, silverware. What we missed was paper plates( forgot them) ate pizza off the box.

Nephews 1st time:
Bed was poor we both rolled into the middle and  it was cold. We had a heavy blanket in the truck but were to lazy to go get it.

Her dad's:
No internet but other then that all good.

Nephews 2nd time:
Different set up we each had a twin bed. Nothing bad or uncomfortable.

All in all I say the vacation tote worked. Changing being made are we got some of those vacuum shrink bags for the blanket and pillows. First aid kit used for long scratch's on my leg (3X4 pad and first aid cream). Going to double check the list and triple check the list before we go next time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk