The General Watch Thread.

Started by Moab, March 11, 2023, 02:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

majorhavoc

What kind of smart watch did you get, NT2C?  I have a Fitbit Charge 5 but that's as smart as my watch gets.  People occasionally ask why I wear a traditional watch on my left wrist when I have the Fitbit on my right. It's just that I love the look and simplicity of a traditional analog watch. Which, truth be told, I consider to be a form of men's jewelry.

Right now I've been rocking my Baltany military style Joel Miller homage that I talked about in the TLOU TV series thread. I swapped out the leather strap it came with for an olive green NATO strap to complete the look. I owe the tiny but growing UFOZS watch sub-community a picture.
A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!
<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

Moab

I've been looking at watches on aliexpress for a few weeks. And last night the fake rolex's started showing up. I think they must have an algorithm that keeps them hidden for a certain amount of time. They look to be oretty high quality. Although there are different price levels.

The pic does not show the Rolex logo on the watch. But the ads state they come with "original logo".  Some come as a parts kit. So I guess you have to have it assembled once it arrives. You can choose between several levels of internals too. Including Chinese. Which are the cheapest. 

US $87.35 | Men's Watch 904l Stainless Steel Automatic Mechanical Ceramic Watch Ring Sapphire Glass Submariner AAA Watch 40mm-RLX
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPE6xg6

US $696.00 | Full Set Vintage Submariner 16610 Watch Case, Dial, Hand Set, 904L Steel Bracelet, 3135 Movement For Assembling
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtgYG9
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

12_Gauge_Chimp

I'm still rocking my Casio dumb watch. :smiley_crocodile:

I thought about picking up a smart watch, but I decided against it simply because I only use a watch to tell time and nothing else. 

I did pick up a Timex Marathon digital watch awhile back on clearance at Walmart for 2 bucks and once the Casio stops working, I'll wear the Timex.

NT2C

Quote from: majorhavoc on March 28, 2023, 07:29:10 AMWhat kind of smart watch did you get, NT2C?  I have a Fitbit Charge 5 but that's as smart as my watch gets.  People occasionally ask why I wear a traditional watch on my left wrist when I have the Fitbit on my right. It's just that I love the look and simplicity of a traditional analog watch. Which, truth be told, I consider to be a form of men's jewelry.

Right now I've been rocking my Baltany military style Joel Miller homage that I talked about in the TLOU TV series thread. I swapped out the leather strap it came with for an olive green NATO strap to complete the look. I owe the tiny but growing UFOZS watch sub-community a picture.
Citizen CZ Smart Grey Plated Silicone Strap Stainless Steel Smartwatch Touchscreen, Heartrate, GPS, Speaker, Bluetooth, Notifications, iPhone and Android Compatible, Powered by Google Wear OS MSRP: $395 - on sale 62% off $150

The documentation leaves a lot to be desired but so far it seems pretty nice.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

NT2C

You cannot view this attachment.
Had to get rid of that silicone band.  One, it kept me from easily getting the watch to sit where I need it to on my wrist.  Two, as you can see I have very dry and flaky skin on my arms.  Something to do with my age and being diabetic. Anyway, the silicone band was like a magnet for dry skin flakes.  Cat hair too.
This band isn't bad. I had to remove two links and it pulls hair every now and then but it's acceptable and easier to wear. I probably should have gone for curved ends but I can order a set of those.  Total price of watch and band was just shy of $190

Current Weather in My AO

majorhavoc

That's a handsome watch, NT2C.  Obviously I'm biased towards analog watches, but that looks to my eye to be more aesthically pleasing than the ubiquitous Apple watch.  And I'm sure it does a lot more than traditional watches or even my Fitbit.  I'm sure all the features makes the entertainment value of that sucker off the charts.

Plus, now we know your resting pulse is 60bpm.   :smiley_blink:

NT2C

Quote from: majorhavoc on March 29, 2023, 06:48:07 PMThat's a handsome watch, NT2C.  Obviously I'm biased towards analog watches, but that looks to my eye to be more aesthically pleasing than the ubiquitous Apple watch.  And I'm sure it does a lot more than traditional watches or even my Fitbit.  I'm sure all the features makes the entertainment value of that sucker off the charts.

Plus, now we know your resting pulse is 60bpm.  :smiley_blink:
I like this face too.

You cannot view this attachment.

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp

I have the opposite problem with watch bands.

Steel bands tend to irritate my skin whereas the rubber or nylon ones don't.

Moab

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

12_Gauge_Chimp

That's a pretty neat watch.

Personally I wouldn't wear it, but instead I'd have it displayed next to some of my other WW2 stuff. :smiley_clap:

Moab

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on April 01, 2023, 06:45:40 PMThat's a pretty neat watch.

Personally I wouldn't wear it, but instead I'd have it displayed next to some of my other WW2 stuff. :smiley_clap:
I have a small collection of items my grandfather brought back from fighting in the Pacific. Its a collection of items he took off if a Japanese soldier in the tank corps. Most likely an officer. As it includes and ivory ink stamp. For officials seals etc. A cigerette case, some oictures and money. An issue pocket knife. 

12_Gauge_Chimp

Neat, Moab.

None of the men in my family ever served so all my WW2 stuff came from me finding it at thrift stores, yard sales and antique stores.

And my collection is really small. All I've got is a canteen cover (which is more WW1 era than WW2), a canteen cup from 1944 , a sterling silver captain's rank tab from WW1 (at least that's what the tag on it said) and a trench art bullet display (it's made with demilled .30 carbine, .30-06 and .50 BMG rounds).

NT2C

And my new watch died.   :gonk:

It had gotten down to about 45% charge and I wanted it fully charged before bed so I put it on its charger and it made a funny sound, sort of like the usual musical sound it makes when putting it on charge but cut short and switched itself off.  Restarted it and now it will not charge.  Tried a different charger and different power source, nada.  Did a full factory reset on it and still it won't charge.

Then, to top off my night, I can't access the email account I used to register the warranty on this.  I have no clue how to login to my account there, or if I even set one up when I registered the warranty.

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C

And my German email account got hacked and the password was changed.  :headbang:

I've had that account 20+ years

Edit: Can't recover the account.  At the time I signed up for the account 25 years ago, they were only giving free accounts to people in Germany...so I gave them a fake address in Berlin when I signed up.  And since the part of the site for people in Germany is in German, and I don't speak German, I'm translating using my phone (Google is not translating right in my browser for this site).  Anyway, I tried resetting the PW, and... it wants to send the new PW to my old Comcast account that I had before moving here.  That account got closed in '07 when we moved.  Or, if I provide all the contact info I gave them when I set the account up then they'll (I think) mail me a password?  Like I can remember a fake address I gave out in 1998?  Fuckfuckfuckityfuck.

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: NT2C on April 06, 2023, 09:59:06 PMAnd my German email account got hacked and the password was changed.  :headbang:

Any way to get the account back from the hackers ?

NT2C

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on April 06, 2023, 10:03:32 PM
Quote from: NT2C on April 06, 2023, 09:59:06 PMAnd my German email account got hacked and the password was changed.  :headbang:

Any way to get the account back from the hackers ?
See my edit in the post.

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C

Hmmm... Okay, they may just be having issues with the site.  When I try logging in via their site it takes me to a captcha and after I enter the characters and click the button to continue nothing happens.

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: NT2C on April 06, 2023, 10:43:17 PMHmmm... Okay, they may just be having issues with the site.  When I try logging in via their site it takes me to a captcha and after I enter the characters and click the button to continue nothing happens.

So it may be less nefarious actors and more like a site maintenance issue ?

NT2C

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on April 06, 2023, 11:02:20 PM
Quote from: NT2C on April 06, 2023, 10:43:17 PMHmmm... Okay, they may just be having issues with the site.  When I try logging in via their site it takes me to a captcha and after I enter the characters and click the button to continue nothing happens.

So it may be less nefarious actors and more like a site maintenance issue ?
Possible, but I find it odd there's no mention of a service issue on their site.  I'll try again tomorrow.  If I can get in then I'll update that old email address and put a real mailing address on it.  If I can.  They're still not allowing USA accounts on their .net accounts.  (I also have a .com email with them and a just got a .us email too)

Current Weather in My AO

majorhavoc

Sounds like a tech nightmare to me. If I had any useful advice I'd give it but I'm technology challenged to begin with.  Good luck NT2C. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk