Review: Sofirn IF19 Flashlight (thrower)

Started by NT2C, January 21, 2023, 08:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NT2C

<insert squee here>

This thing is CUTE!  It's a little bigger than a D battery very broad at the lens and narrow in the body, and it has the thickest, most optically complex lens I've yet seen on a flashlight.  That would be because this little guy is designed strictly as a "thrower", with a sharp center circle of max brightness and very little spill.  It runs on a single 18350 battery (slightly larger than a CR123A), charges via USB-C port and has a low of 1 lumen and a turbo mode of 2,000 lumens,  It will run for 45 minutes in turbo mode, or 200 hours in moonlight mode.  It has a maximum throw of 461 meters!

You cannot view this attachment.

Price was $32 with battery and I definitely got my money's worth!

Sofirn IF19 web page

My Sofirn IF19 came with an 850mAh Li-Ion (Li-CO) battery installed but all the specs in the manual refer to a stock 1,100mAh Li-Ion battery being stock and the basis for all the ratings.  That bugged me a bit so I reached out to Sofirn and found that they were having problems getting the higher-capacity batteries in quantity (they're not even listing any 18350s on their site) so they shipped it with what they had.  Looking around on Amazon the only 18350 batteries with a higher than 850mAh rating was a pair of IMR18350 Li-Ion (Li-MN) rated at 1,450mAh.  While still being Li-Ion batteries the chemistry is Lithium-Manganese, rather than Lithium-Cobolt, which makes them safer in one sense, gives them a higher capacity, but also less power.  It's a really weird kind of battery and it requires a device and charger with proper safety systems because the battery itself has none.  It will be interesting to see how the light does with one of these installed.  The light does have the proper safety settings in its software to protect these batteries from any dangerous operation, so at least that won't be a concern.

This product gets the "UFoZS Official Prepperware™" seal of approval.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

majorhavoc

Thank you.  When you mentioned this bad boy sells for only $32, something clicked so I'm now looking at their tactical lights.  I'm wondering if Sofrin SC31T Pro could be an affordable alternative to the obsolete Olight M2 Warrior I have mounted on my AR.  I try not to get caught up in the lumen arms race, but at 250 lumens, my M2 is kind of pathetic by modern standards.  

But Olight's updated models are just too spendy for me.  I don't need a pressure switch or anything.  Just a reliable, sturdy and relatively light weapon light with good throw. 

Any idea if Sofrin has a good reputation as a weapon light?  Are they recoil rated?  I don't even know what my M2's barrel diameter is offhand, so don't know if my existing mounting hardware would even work with the Sofrin.
A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!
<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

majorhavoc

On the other hand, even if Sofrin would work, I'm not sure I'm ready for this, lol.  :eek1:

NT2C

Yeah, I'd have to advise against any of the Sofirn lights as a weapon light.  None of them are recoil rated (to my knowledge) though you could infer from their drop ratings that a few might be capable of withstanding recoil.  Certainly, my IF19, with dual internal springs, would withstand significant recoil, but it's just not what I'd look for in a weapon light.

Your current mount is probably for a 1" tube.  I can't find any info at all for a plain M2 Warrior.  All that comes up is the new M2R Warrior which is 1,500lm.

Have you considered something like a Crimson Trace CWL-102 or 202 ($100 & $120 respectively) or is that still too much?  I mean, hey, you can always find stuff in the $30-$40 range on Amazon but I figure if I'm gonna stake my little pink tuchus (okay, not so little) on a piece of kit I'd prefer it be a little more trustworthy but you do you.

Current Weather in My AO

majorhavoc

Quote from: NT2C on January 21, 2023, 08:46:51 AMYeah, I'd have to advise against any of the Sofirn lights as a weapon light.  None of them are recoil rated (to my knowledge) though you could infer from their drop ratings that a few might be capable of withstanding recoil.  Certainly, my IF19, with dual internal springs, would withstand significant recoil, but it's just not what I'd look for in a weapon light.

Your current mount is probably for a 1" tube.  I can't find any info at all for a plain M2 Warrior.  All that comes up is the new M2R Warrior which is 1,500lm.

Have you considered something like a Crimson Trace CWL-102 or 202 ($100 & $120 respectively) or is that still too much?  I mean, hey, you can always find stuff in the $30-$40 range on Amazon but I figure if I'm gonna stake my little pink tuchus (okay, not so little) on a piece of kit I'd prefer it be a little more trustworthy but you do you.
Thanks for the helpful info.  Agreed about the Amazon specials.  I think I'd rather stick with 250 lumens of reliable weapon-rated illumination over even 1000 lm of something probably designed for nothing more demanding than airsoft.

Don't mean to highjack this thread.  But if anyone has reliable intel on an affordable (sub $80, if that's even possible) weapon light, feel free to pm me.  

SCBrian

BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

NT2C

Just to better convey how small this light is, here it is in my hand and it standing between an 18350 battery and a AA alkaline:

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C

This is what it looks like with the 18650 tube installed:

It gives it an excellent slight barbell shape that fits well in the hand.

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp

Kind of reminds me of a lightsaber from Star Wars with the 18650 tube installed.

Like if pocket lightsabers were a thing in the Star Wars universe. 

majorhavoc

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on February 08, 2023, 03:28:10 PMKind of reminds me of a lightsaber from Star Wars with the 18650 tube installed.

Like if pocket lightsabers were a thing in the Star Wars universe. 
They used to be used by the youngest padwans. That is until Anakin went all neanderthal on them. Not that full sized light sabers would have made much of a difference.  Little buggers never stood a chance ...

NT2C

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C

Before purchasing ANY Sofirn product from any source, please read this message regarding their refusal to honor their warranty.

Current Weather in My AO

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk