War in Ukraine

Started by Moab, February 04, 2022, 09:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. E. Monkey

Quote from: majorhavoc on April 15, 2022, 09:25:27 AM
US intelligence sources are reporting that other ships in that naval group have relocated further south, putting more distance between them and the Ukrainian coastline. Something that wouldn't be necessary if it were an accidental fire. Relocating other ships in the area bolsters the anti-ship missile theory.

Don't be ridiculous.  The fire was an accident, caused by a 1920 lb. Ukrainian "cigarette" that came from somewhere near Odessa.

QuoteI've read several reports suggesting that while a demoralizing blow to Russian national pride, the loss isn't expected to have a significant impact on the war. But I have to wonder. In addition to a potent missile launch platform, wouldn't a capital surface asset be a significant communications and control hub for the southern portion of the war effort?  Much as logistical support has proven to be a major limitation on Russia's plans, I'd think command and control would also be an important factor.

So sayeth this armchair general who never even served.

That is reasonable.  They definitely lost some significant command and control structure, though it seems like the Russians haven't been making good use of such in the first place.

On the other hand, this was a Ukrainian-built ship, so sinking it was a major victory for the Russian navy. :awesome:
Quote from: SMoAF'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Quote from: BeowolfDisasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
Quote from: wee drop o' bushTHE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS!  :lol:

majorhavoc

US intelligence sources now confirming Moskva was struck by two Ukrainian Neptune missiles with undisclosed number of casualties. It continued under its own power before sinking while enroute to a safe harbor.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/15/world/europe/russia-moskva-warship-ukraine-missiles.html.

Ukrainian Defense Minister publicly declares Moskva a 'worthy diving site' for recreational scuba enthusiasts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/worthy-diving-site-ukraines-defense-minister-mocks-sunken-russian-ship-1698258%3famp=1

Gotta love those plucky Ukrainians.
A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

12_Gauge_Chimp

Given how poorly maintained the Russian vehicles have been thus far in the war, I'm surprised the damn ship didn't sink while it was still in port.

I'm surprised it was still floating even before all this happened.

EBuff75

Quote from: majorhavoc on April 15, 2022, 12:38:58 PM
Ukrainian Defense Minister publicly declares Moskva a 'worthy diving site' for recreational scuba enthusiasts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/worthy-diving-site-ukraines-defense-minister-mocks-sunken-russian-ship-1698258%3famp=1

Gotta love those plucky Ukrainians.

And I was absolutely waiting to see this meme!

Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

NT2C

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles
Current Weather in My AO

aikorob

I saw this one this morning:
captioned:  "Apex predator scenting blood"
I  hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

NT2C

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles
Current Weather in My AO

NT2C

Current Weather in My AO

EBuff75

Forgotten Weapons (aka "Gun Jesus") has posted a video comparing what is happening in Ukraine to Finland's Winter War. Worth a watch as he compares the similarities and differences. 

Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: EBuff75 on April 21, 2022, 10:16:57 PMForgotten Weapons (aka "Gun Jesus") has posted a video comparing what is happening in Ukraine to Finland's Winter War. Worth a watch as he compares the similarities and differences. 

So who is going to be the Ukrainian Simo Hayha ?

Moab

Quote from: EBuff75 on April 21, 2022, 10:16:57 PMForgotten Weapons (aka "Gun Jesus") has posted a video comparing what is happening in Ukraine to Finland's Winter War. Worth a watch as he compares the similarities and differences. 

This is a very interesting topic to me. And i live forgotten weapons. Thanks for posting this. I cant wait to watch. 
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

aikorob

Russia has definitely switched to the "shell everything until the rubble stops bouncing"

https://www.foxnews.com/world/ukrainian-mother-3-month-old-8-dead-odesa
https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3465864-two-russian-cruise-missiles-shot-down-in-odesa-region.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/uaf4q7/russian_rocket_flying_straight_into_civilian/

If this is the area I'm thinking of, the only "military object" there would be senior officer's homes.
Arkadia is one of the more upscale areas with it's namesake beach
I  hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

majorhavoc

Serious question.

So, I'm having trouble understanding Putin's moral indignation that Ukraine is now striking targets within Russia's territorial borders.  I mean, the man is positively livid and screaming to the international community about how unfair it is that a sovereign country that just happens to be one that he is currently invading, bombing indiscriminantly, slaughtering its civilians by the thousands, displacing millions more and which he has publically stated has no historical, cultural or ethical right to even exist has the unmitigated temerity to actually defend itself.  He's trying so hard to make the world just understand how outrageous it is that this pesky little country that he wants to destroy is hitting strategic targets like his country's fuel depots and military staging areas.  I mean, these are the very fuel depots and staging areas that he, gosh darn it, really, really needs to annihalite his neighbor. 

I get it that world leaders have to chose their words very carefully, really I do.  But there must be some diplomatic way to say:

Shut the fuck up, you duplicitous, hypocritical murderous war criminal, you.  You are fucking morally disqualified from complaining about the entirely predictable consequence that when you fucking wage war against a sovereign nation, then that may well mean that war shall be visited upon you and not just the other way around like your generals told you it would. 

I mean, during WW2, I'm sure Hitler, Mussolini and Hirohito didn't exactly appreciate it when the Allies you know, struck back against their homelands.  But I think maybe on some basic level they sorta, kinda understood the risk of that goes with the territory.
A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

Moab

Quote from: majorhavoc on April 28, 2022, 06:36:58 PMSerious question.

So, I'm having trouble understanding Putin's moral indignation that Ukraine is now striking targets within Russia's territorial borders.  I mean, the man is positively livid and screaming to the international community about how unfair it is that a sovereign country that just happens to be one that he is currently invading, bombing indiscriminantly, slaughtering its civilians by the thousands, displacing millions more and which he has publically stated has no historical, cultural or ethical right to even exist has the unmitigated temerity to actually defend itself.  I mean, he's trying so hard to make the world just understand how outrageous it is that this pesky little country that he's trying to destroy is hitting strategic targets like his country's fuel depots and military staging areas.  I mean, these are the very fuel depots and staging areas that he, gosh darn it, really, really needs to annihalite his neighbor. 

I get it that world leaders have to chose their words very carefully, really I do.  But can there must be some diplomatic way to say:

Shut the fuck up, you duplicitous, hypocritical murderous war criminal, you.  You are fucking morally disqualified from complaining about the entirely predictable consequence that when you fucking wage war against a sovereign nation, then that may well mean that war shall be visited upon you and not just the other way around like your generals told you it would. 

I mean, during WW2, I'm sure Hitler, Mussolini and Hirohito didn't exactly appreciate it when the Allies you know, struck back against their homelands.  But I think maybe on some basic level they sorta, kinda understood the risk of that goes with the territory.
Amen brother!

I had not heard they struck staging areas. But i have mot watched alot the last week or so. I'm not surpised, wish it had happened sooner, and am very glad they've done so.

I was surprised that the us admitted its intelligence helped ukraine. I dont remember the full story. But it was something like we were sharing our air or satellite intelligence with them to help idenify targets? Or something like that. It was in a tweet from a larger mews org. I just looked for more info. But couldnt find it.

Heres a list of what we've; sent so far.

United States security assistance committed to Ukraine includes:
Over 1,400 Stinger anti-aircraft systems;
Over 5,000 Javelin anti-armor systems;
Over 7,000 other anti-armor systems;
Hundreds of Switchblade Tactical Unmanned Aerial Systems;
Over 7,000 small arms;
Over 50,000,000 rounds of ammunition;
45,000 sets of body armor and helmets;
Laser-guided rocket systems;
Puma Unmanned Aerial Systems;
Four counter-artillery and counter-unmanned aerial system tracking radars;
Four counter-mortar radar systems;
Armored High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicles;
Night vision devices, thermal imagery systems, and optics;
Tactical secure communications systems;
Commercial satellite imagery services;
Explosive ordnance disposal protective gear;
Medical supplies to include first aid kits.

50 million rounds of ammo! Man. Thats alot. I dont have the math akills to figure that out. But I wonder how many rounds per soldier that is? Thats crazy.

Maybe the part about "Commercial satellite imagery services" is what i heard about. Maybe they have to say "Commercial" to get around the fact that US satellites are watching Russias every move. Thats big. Ukraine could not possibly get that tyoe of intel otherwise.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C

Seems appropriate.  Probably past his nap time and someone is pissing in his milk & cookies.
Current Weather in My AO

majorhavoc

Outstanding video on the Javelin shoulder fired anti-tank missile system used so effectively by the Urkrainians against Russian armour.

Anianna

Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

∩(=^_^=)

Mr. E. Monkey

Quote from: SMoAF'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Quote from: BeowolfDisasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
Quote from: wee drop o' bushTHE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS!  :lol:

majorhavoc

Ukraine has managed to wipe out an entire Russian tank battalion attempting an ill-advised river crossing. (American M777 howitzers? That's some damn fine shooting)

In other news, the Ukrainian band Kalush Orchestra is poised to win this year's Eurovision talent contest.  They combine traditional Ukrainian folk music with hip hop. Their hit song Stefania is an ode to one's love for their mother.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UiEGVYOruLk

If there's a more admired people on the planet right now, I'd like to hear about it.

RickOShea

The Russian army is in pretty bad shape if they were "repelled" by dudes with Tippmann paintball markers...

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1526185858411405312

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk