Headlamp with remote battery pack for EDC

Started by Optimist, February 02, 2022, 06:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Optimist

I carry a headlamp all winter and use it pretty much every day. I'd like to use rechargeable batteries since I go through so many. I live in a cold place though, and my experience has been in sub-zero temperatures I'm lucky to get half an hour out of Eneloops.

I've purchased a few headlamps with remote battery packs connected by cable so that I could keep the batteries inside my coat. The downside is that they are constantly getting tangled, and I want an EDC headlamp to be quick to put on. They were also pretty expensive and I managed to break them within a couple years (one was a Petzl and one was a Fenix, I don't remember the models).

With some coats I might be able to rig them up inside the coat so that they aren't getting tangled, but I change coats depending on weather so I would probably need to purchase multiple and not all my coats have inside pockets.

Another option might be to have the batteries be attached to the back of the headlamp headband, and then cut some holes in a hat so that the batteries stayed inside while the flashlight was outside. I'd have to find an oversized hat for that though, and my enormous head is already too big for the large majority of hats.

Maybe it would be easier to find a remote battery pack for a regular flashlight and one of those headbands that flashlights can be attached to rather than a purpose-built headlamp?

I have a preference for AA and 18650, but AAA is also not bad. I've halfway given up on battery standardization.

I have a preference for there not being too many modes. I like a dim, battery saving mode that is just bright enough to be able to read things held up to your face and not trip over stuff immediately in front of you, plus a "normal" mode that lets me see my immediate area well but isn't a crazy battery drainer (basically I want to see a moose before it's a problem). A third super-crazy bright mode can also be useful, but is not essential. Everything else (flashing lights, different colors, lots of brightness levels to click through) I find annoying but it is not a deal breaker.

Buttons are tricky because I want something that I can use with gloves on without struggling too much, but also something that isn't going to turn on in my pocket all the time. Those things seem to be at odds with each other.

Something small enough to be stuffed in a coat pocket is good.

I don't have a particular budget, and am willing to pay for good quality and the features I want, but I'm a little hesitant to spend a ton just because flashlights and headlamps costing well over $100 seem to break just as readily as ones costing half that in my anecdotal experience.

I'm not sure if there's a great solution to my needs, I thought I'd just put out the kind of thing I'm looking for.

NT2C

This is a tough one and it sounds like you've already covered all the bases.  The only thing I can add is that lithium cells work well down to about -40, unlike alkaline cells and most rechargeable, and they give 2-3x longer run times.  So, while their initial cost to purchase will be higher than alkalines the cost per minute of runtime might be the same, or even lower given the shortened runtime of alkaline cells at those temps.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

CG

I have a headlamp that is charged by micro-USB.  Perhaps that would be an option, and you could carry a battery pack in your coat if needed?

EBuff75

I'm also in the pro-lithium-ion camp.  My CERT bag, which I keep in the trunk of the car, has an 18650 flashlight and two spare batteries in it.  A few years ago, I went to charge up the batteries one spring and found that it only took about 10 mins on the charger to top them off.  They'd last been charged somewhere between 8-12 months previously and had gone through an entire winter in the trunk of my car here in Michigan, but were only down about 10-15% of their total charge in that time/environment.

I have two headlamps, one from Armytek and one from Olight which use 18650 batteries, both of which I've had for several years, but which get infrequent use.  The Olight is very bright (2300 lumens), but uses proprietary batteries, is a cool white, and the button is on the end of the light.  The Armytek uses normal 18650 batteries and isn't as bright (but is still something like 1000 lumens), is warm white, and the switch is on the side of the head.  Because the switch is on the side of the head for the Armytek, you can just pinch the head between your index finger and thumb to activate it, rather than having to push inward like on the Olight (which just makes the light move out of position).  While the Olight is brighter, I prefer the Armytek for its color, use of standard batteries, and the ease of use for the switch. 
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

Raptor

A Fenix HP 30R may be what you want it is not cheap. I would suggest a lithium ion power bank and a wired USB light.

There are several such usb powered lights that may work dor you.

I have no experience with extreme cold but i also use lithium AA batteries in my lights that are used infrequently but are critical. They do last 10 + years in such use.
Folks you are on your own...Plan and act accordingly!

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

Optimist

Thanks for the suggestions! I hadn't thought of using a USB light with a battery pack, that opens up my options considerably.

I have had good luck with lithium batteries in the cold. The regular  lithium AA and AAAs, not the lithium-ion rechargeables that most modern electronics use. Those have often stopped working in extreme cold, but I'm not sure if it was the device (phones and laptops) or the battery that was the failure point. Do lithium-ion rechargeables work well in the cold? If I figure out how to keep them inside my coat/hat it doesn't matter as much.

Back before I broke all my AA headlamps I would keep one set of Eneloops in the headlamp, one set inside my coat to switch out when they got too cold, and a set of lithium AAs I'm case I had to spend a significant amount of time outside for some reason. Taking care of the animals when it was below zero required swapping the rechargeables partway through each time, which was a little frustrating.

Raptor

Quote from: Optimist on February 07, 2022, 06:16:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I hadn't thought of using a USB light with a battery pack, that opens up my options considerably.

I have this light and they are very versatile and perfect for this type of application. It has a long cord and the light head is lightweight. It has a velcro tie down so you can secure it so you walk with it ands free. It has several settings from very dim to very bright. The beam pattern is very wide...not good as a spot light but very useful for a task light. Wrap it in red cellophane and you have night vision friendly light.

You need a battery bank to use it though but you can keep your battery bank in your coat pocket.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CWHQEWM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

When I use it with a 10,000 mAh battery bank it lasts for hours.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Ultra-Compact-High-Speed-VoltageBoost-Technology/dp/B07QXV6N1B/ref=sr_1_21?crid=1P0BGSSN4T1WU&keywords=battery%2Bbank%2Bfor%2Bcell%2Bphones&qid=1644357123&sprefix=battery%2Bbank%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-21&th=1
Folks you are on your own...Plan and act accordingly!

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

NT2C

One more thing to consider, while they have their drawbacks, Ni-Cad batteries do function to -20C

Just something to keep in mind if you need cells that are rechargable.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

Optimist

Quote from: NT2C on February 11, 2022, 08:08:03 PM
One more thing to consider, while they have their drawbacks, Ni-Cad batteries do function to -20C

Just something to keep in mind if you need cells that are rechargable.
Ni-Cads are the older rechargeable batteries, right? I might just be confused.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk