What did you do today for your bug out vehicle?

Started by NT2C, January 07, 2022, 05:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmMan67

Yesterday and today I drove mine as part of an effort to keep everything working and not let the battery drain out again.  Today sitting at the traffic light, it started running rough, so will have to chase that down and see what's going on.   :(
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

NapalmMan67

Quote from: NapalmMan67 on February 04, 2022, 01:02:19 PM
Yesterday and today I drove mine as part of an effort to keep everything working and not let the battery drain out again.  Today sitting at the traffic light, it started running rough, so will have to chase that down and see what's going on.   :( 

And now the monkey pissers stopped working on the way home for lunch.   :( :(

superduder

Removed the factory 1973 Philco am radio to free up space for... Something?
The new (to the truck) radio is going in the glove box, so maybe gauges, cb, or a GMRS radio will be filling the gap in the dash.

This weeks ongoing project getting the cap mounted correctly to the bed,
and putting new (improvised) lock bars in.
Also still gathering materials for the slide in camper build.
J
"I get it, I get it... But it's Still a pain in the ass."
Shawn Kelly

NT2C

Well, I was planning on updating the maps installed in the onboard GPS, but now I'm waiting on a response from tech support.  I paid for the update and they shipped it promptly, arriving here this morning.  There's just one small issue...

The paperwork and invoice list the serial # of the USB drive, the serial number on the box the drive comes in matches that number, the number on the unit inside the box is one digit higher.  :headbang:

Before I try installing this and end up bricking the system due to a screw-up on their part I want written confirmation that this is correct and will work.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles
Current Weather in My AO

superduder

Bought 3 new sets of points, Condensers Distributor caps, Rotor Buttons, Spark plugs and Wires.
One set of each went on the truck, the rest got wrapped in foil, vacuum sealed, and put in a grounded ammo can at the b.o.l.
I tried to do a hall effect conversion using Pertronix, but they can't in 3 tries figure out which part (if any) will actually fit my truck.
They even tried to send me parts for a pre-65 ford V8... To use in a Mazda based 1.8 Four Cylinder.

So she's staying points apparently.

Next project is tracking down all the bushings for the mechanical throttle linkage, and a new choke/egr cable.

Wish me Luck!
J

This is the closest to fitting any pertronix part came...
"I get it, I get it... But it's Still a pain in the ass."
Shawn Kelly

NapalmMan67

Got mine inspected last week, and it and passed(!) for another year.  Up to $47.00 for the inspection though, $23.00 per axle now and a $1.00 for the sticker.  I can remember when it was $11.00 total a few years ago.   :tickedoff:

Also put the charger on the battery to help keep her up to snuff.

Moab

I bought a set of Falken Wild Peaks last year for my Jeep. I couldn't afford duratracs or bfgs. But read great reviews about the Falkens. I'm very happy with them.

I did a ton of research on agm batteries on my Jeep forum and elsewhere. I used to have a breakdown of all the top makers of batteries. And which companies they actually manufacture for. But it got lost in my Evernote. 

I came up with the following battery.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/marine-agm/battery-accessories/deep-cycle---marine-batteries/220f7dcd7121/super-start-marine-agm-group-size-34m-top-post-battery/ssbj/34magm/v/a/3685/automotive-truck-2000-chevrolet-s10

Product Information
Warranty: 1 Year Limited Warranty
Unit of Measure: Each
UPC: # 83996016187
Battery Type: AGM
Height (in): 8-3/8 Inch
Length (in): 10-3/4 Inch
Width (in): 6-7/8 Inch
Terminal Type: Top Post
Weight (Lbs): 42.5 Lbs.
Voltage (V): 12 Volt
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 750 CCA
Cranking Amps (CA): 860 CA
Group Size (BCI): 34M
Reserve Capacity (min): 120 Minute
Amp Hour (Ah): 55 AH
Marine Cranking Amps (MCA): 890 MCA
Positive Terminal Location: Bottom Left
Flush Manifold Vent Cover: Yes

Basically a good enough agm battery for a stock Jeep. I'm not running a winch or any other non stock electronics. And at $157. You can't beat the price. Someday I'll buy a Northstar.

But I'm presently really burned out on my Jeep. I would like to add a winch. But other than that I'm just going to run it stock. I've spent enough time, effort and money getting it into good shape with all the mods i wanted. And after reading and consulting with some of the best Jeep offroad mechanics and drivers on the west coast. I think stock is the way to go. I could do a 2.5 inch lift. Without causing to much havoc. But anything more than that and your opening up a can of worms. Even new bumpers very quickly has you adding weight that will slow you down. And as reliable and bombproof as Jeep TJs are, they aren't speed demons.

I was seriously considering selling it for a rav4. But now I'm not sure. I do need the better gas mileage and cargo space. But I'm having a hard time giving up the offroad capabilities.

Anyway. Thats where I'm at with my bov. I need to spend more time on a vehicle ghb. Than any more time on the Jeep itself.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NapalmMan67

I've got an Optima Red Top in my truck.  AGM/ Deep Cycle batts are great.   :smiley_happy_thumbup:

Brekar

I just bought a (new to me) 2000 S10 extended cab 4x4 pickup truck for $400 to use as a work truck/bug out vehicle. It has a solid 4.3 L V6 engine in it, with a bad transmission in it. I've already got a new transmission for it from a parts Blazer I bought a while back for another project truck. It came with a brand new Duracell car battery, some Ironman All Country A/T tires that look brand new but are absolutely freaking awful in snow, mud, or rain. So my next purchase is going to be some new Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 All Terrain tires, and some LED conversion fog lights and license plate lights.

But for now the most up to date thing I've done to it is put a fire extinguisher in the truck and 10 fusee's in the roadside repair kit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk