What did you do today to prepare?

Started by SCBrian, June 26, 2021, 10:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moab

Quote from: Crosscut on April 02, 2022, 10:30:37 AMThe NRG-5 Emergency Food Rations ordered last week are a bust as survival food on-the-go imo.  Very dry and bland, turns almost to a powder in your mouth so better have plenty of liquid to wash them down with.  Our dogs wouldn't touch them either, and the one is very non-fussy about eating most anything.  Instructions mention "crumble and mix into previously boiled drinking water to prepare a porridge suitable as infant food", so I tried that this morning adding boiling hot water and some brown sugar for taste.  It's more palatable this way, cream of wheat type texture, but still very 'blah' tasting.  Non-fussy dog still wouldn't even taste it after a quick sniff.  Suppose it might have some value if pulverized and used to thicken soups or stews, not for taste but just for the added nutrional value, but near useless for my intended BOV use. 

Fixed a minor plumbing problem, hot water valve to the clothes washer sprung a leak.  Only mention it because I previously was not much of a fan of the SharkBite brand plumbing fittings, quick to install sure, but expensive.  I'd only used them once before, and in an area where the plumbing was easily accessible, didn't see any advantage over sweating the copper the old fashioned way.  In this case however I had to cut the leaking valve out, inside an interior wall, so not much room to work and with a sweated "T" a few inches below the cut, and a plastic enclosure a few inches above that would have been difficult to remove.  Probably child's work for an experienced plumber, but I didn't have much confidence that I could sweat the new fitting in while not weakening the solder on the "T" below, or melting the plastic enclosure above.  Couldn't have went much smoother using the SharkBite though; cut pipe, 'push-until-it-clicks' the SharkBite on, screw new valve into other side of fitting, and tighten. Now I'm thinking about getting a few more of these fittings to throw into the plumbing supplies. 

Picked up a USB powered POWXS Universal Lithium 18650 Battery Charger for 3.7V Li-ion 18650 AA AAA C batteries, tried it for the first time last night and seems to work very well when powered from a power bank.  Auto-senses the battery type/voltage automatically so no worry about having to modify the settings manually for charging different battery types, or having to carry / read the manual each use since this'll end up in the BOV and likely not get used much.  Also starting to play with a USB step up/down regulator and charger I bought last year, with inspiration taken from Moab's BOB power thread.  First test might be if it'll trickle charge a car battery from a USB power bank.
I have some emergency rations with the yellow packaging. Forget the brand. The apple n cinnamon are good. I bought them like 15 yrs ago. 

But what I've since learned is that emergency rations like this are for lifeboats. Meaning something to keep you alive in a lifeboat. Not moving. Not hiking. Not expending any energy. Namely they will constipate you badly. And leave you with that cheap carbs feeling with no energy. Like if you only ate cheap bread for days on end.

They are also very heavy. Your better off getting carb heavy mountain house. Or other starch heavy dehydrated meals. There are many dehydrated meals comoanies tho. Do a google search. You'll be surprised at the selection. Some aren't to expensive. 

The more I read tho the more I see the simple food dehydrator as the answer to cheap and good quality survival food. The machines arent that expensive. And there are many many great recioes for things you wouldnt imagine could be made that way.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Moab

I spent a good portion of yesterday getting the last of the garbage and cardboard out of the garage. Week prior i went thru every box and bag and tote. And moved everything into sections. Garbage, keep, yard sale and things my wife and son still need to go thru.

I'm in the process of turning this back into a workout room. After going thru our collected stuff after 15 years and 4 moves. I got alot of yard sale, garbage and keep things separated.

I've always tried to use this litmus test for all the crap we save.

"If I haven't used it in 6 months. It's because I couldnt find it. So it needs to go.".

But after so many moves we had taped up boxes thrown together that I had not looked inside for years. I got rid of alot of shop supplies and equipment. That you figure oh ill use that some day. But that day never comes.

Now all we have left is to have a yard sale. And get rid of as much as we can. And throw the rest out. I ordered an extra garbage can for 3 months. Only cost 11.90 a month extra. 

Now that I have the garage completely organized my son wants to buy a pool table. Lol. I have to admit i love the idea. But workout space has to be our number one priority. 
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Lodewijk

Been looking for a dedicated go bag knife for a while... picked up a couple of Ka-Bar variants to try (Mark I and a D2 Extreme). 

Between those, a Varusteleka puukko, my normie USMC Ka-Bar from Civil Air Patrol when I was a kid, and a handful of bushcrafty carbon steel blanks in various stages of completion... we should be covered.

Wouldn't mind a coating or something rust resistant but I can see this being the puukko for a while. Done enough batonny chop shit with it to be comfortable that it isn't going to break. Rat tangs will get you killed in the street or whatever but the D2 supposedly handles heavier uses well enough... still should prove that out.

Ghost

While I have plenty of methods of making fire today I finished my first batch of homemade Scout firestarters:

- cardboard egg carton
- saw dust
- wax
- melted crayons
- dryer lint

Currently drying. Made enough for thirty.
https://diyprojects.com/make-fire-starter-egg-carton-dryer-lint/

Simple as could be.

Also have a number of these complete as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uevKyuP4eZc

Ghost

Closed another gap in the preps. I got my son a medium ALICE Pack and will be modding it similar to mine*. The best part is the frame is a brand spanking new aftermarket one in perfect condition along with a surplus ALICE ruck in really good shape. I won't have to modify the straps as much as I did with mine but the snaps for it on the way to swap out all the metal with parachute quick connect ones. Back pad is brand new, while not a MOLLE II its will work for his teenage self perfectly.

Best part Supported a semi local business and got the first responder discount, who says only the military should benefit !@ :)

* = I've had bags for the whole family for years (evening getting one ready for the dog!) but I've been trying to get commonality across all four bags. Makes sense for my son and I who will be carrying the heavier loads. For my wide and daughter I had considered the after market small ALICE packs but they were too small.

EBuff75

Finally installed the awning and a solar panel on my SUV.  I'm actually planning to use it for some camping this summer, but it would serve well for a bugout too.  Still need to install the LED strip lighting on the awning.  Hopefully I'll get that done this weekend.
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

SCBrian

Added a few more plants to the garden, and got preliminary permission from SWMBO to add some more perennial edible plants...
Garden now has
Tomatoes
Peppers
Cabbage (kohlrabi)
Potatoes (doing the pail method)
Walking onion
Watermelon
Cucumbers
Basil
Mint
Lemon Balm
Chamomile

We have a Loquat tree and are beginning to start some blackberries/raspberries. 
I'm about to plant a raised bed with asparagus.
I've surrounded the garden with Marigolds and Nasturtiums as edible pest deterrents.
I've got loofah and dipper gourds growing. 

Sometime this week, I'll pull the genny out of storage and warm her up / make sure she's running ok for hurricane season. 
BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

Ghost

- Field stripped the MREs for my Bug out Bag; getting the rest of the families bags to the same
- Tested out my ultra light ground mat, a Klymet 4 season, expensive but worth. Temps got cold this weekend while camping, didn't even notice the cold.

Lettuce Pray

Today was a big day for me. We (the wife and I) bought the 13.5 acres that are around my house. Added that to the 5.2 that we already own gives us almost 19. Only 1.5 or so is the house with yard. The rest is woods. I don't have any current plans to hunt it but that may change. I could definitely see me doing some ethical trapping in the coming years.  

Mr. E. Monkey

That is awesome!   :smiley_clap:

That gives you a bit more "buffer space" and opportunities for additional resources all in one.  I might be a little bit jealous.   :greenguy:
Quote from: SMoAF'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Quote from: BeowolfDisasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
Quote from: wee drop o' bushTHE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS!  :lol:

NapalmMan67

Quote from: SCBrian on April 24, 2022, 09:37:07 AMAdded a few more plants to the garden, and got preliminary permission from SWMBO to add some more perennial edible plants...
Garden now has
Tomatoes
Peppers
Cabbage (kohlrabi)
Potatoes (doing the pail method)
Walking onion
Watermelon
Cucumbers
Basil
Mint
Lemon Balm
Chamomile

We have a Loquat tree and are beginning to start some blackberries/raspberries. 
I'm about to plant a raised bed with asparagus.
I've surrounded the garden with Marigolds and Nasturtiums as edible pest deterrents.
I've got loofah and dipper gourds growing. 

Sometime this week, I'll pull the genny out of storage and warm her up / make sure she's running ok for hurricane season. 

Basil, Asparagus and Basil are all great companions for tomatoes.  As well as French Marigold and Nasturtiums.    :slide:

But keep the Kohlrabi away.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

tirls

Sticky catchfly is also great and helps against tomato blight. Be careful where you plant it though, it´s a neophyte in the US.

I finally got my refill of tortoisegear fire starters. My SAK is now it´s own little survival tool all in one again (admittedly more often used for camping and barbecue):panic:

majorhavoc

Got my knee replaced today. The other knee gets done hopefully this fall. So I can, you know, outrun the zombies. 
#rule1cardio
A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

Moab

Quote from: Lettuce Pray on May 18, 2022, 04:52:22 PMToday was a big day for me. We (the wife and I) bought the 13.5 acres that are around my house. Added that to the 5.2 that we already own gives us almost 19. Only 1.5 or so is the house with yard. The rest is woods. I don't have any current plans to hunt it but that may change. I could definitely see me doing some ethical trapping in the coming years. 
Thats awesome. Do u mind saying what state or area?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk