First Aid / Medical Tricks and Tips

Started by Crosscut, January 20, 2022, 08:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosscut

Found this site almost by accident this morning, Emergency Medicine Tricks of the Trade Series.

Many are outside the realm of first aid but a few I need to remember:
Alcohol Prep Pad for treating nausea
Scalp bandaging on those with long hair
Finger TQ

Add your own, bonus points if they're for kids or pets.

CG

My mother-in-law, a former nurse, asked why they put staples in one of the kids instead of just cleaning it, then using his hair to pull it together and tying it that way.

Crosscut

echo83

Quote from: Crosscut on February 25, 2022, 11:53:34 AM
Man, this would have come in handy a while back...I used a leatherman to push the hook through, cut off the barb, then pull it back out. 

I was a dishwasher, and my "patient," was a drunken hotel guest who stumbled in through the back door of the kitchen. I was the first person he saw. I still wonder why a 15 year-old got the case. Maybe I had the cleanest hands? Or I was too young to be named in a malpractice suit?

SCBrian

Hah.  My son (bless his heart) inherited my predisposition for weird injuries.  He once managed to step on a treble hook after a fishing trip.  Took to the clinic since multiple hooks embedded.  They didn't have anything there to work with.  Ended up going out to one of the orderlies trunk, grabbing a set of cutters from the tool bag, and autoclaveing them for use :)

BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

Crosscut

Quote from: SCBrian on April 26, 2022, 08:01:33 AMHah.  My son (bless his heart) inherited my predisposition for weird injuries.  He once managed to step on a treble hook after a fishing trip.  Took to the clinic since multiple hooks embedded.  They didn't have anything there to work with.  Ended up going out to one of the orderlies trunk, grabbing a set of cutters from the tool bag, and autoclaveing them for use :)

Improvise, adapt, overcome.

I hate those treble hooks for recreational fishing, little fish somehow get all three in their mouth and it's difficult to open their mouth wide enough to get them unhooked. 

So as not to go too long/far offtopic, the best tip I could find after a 5 minute search:

It works on normal people too, not just Brits :greenguy:  Where is @sheddi btw?

wolf_from_wv

Quote from: echo83 on April 25, 2022, 06:28:16 PM
Quote from: Crosscut on February 25, 2022, 11:53:34 AM
Man, this would have come in handy a while back...I used a leatherman to push the hook through, cut off the barb, then pull it back out.

I was a dishwasher, and my "patient," was a drunken hotel guest who stumbled in through the back door of the kitchen. I was the first person he saw. I still wonder why a 15 year-old got the case. Maybe I had the cleanest hands? Or I was too young to be named in a malpractice suit?

Not sure if we pushed down when my dad hooked himself in the lip with the jig.  Your lip will pull halfway back to your ear, though, without the hook coming out.  The doctor didn't have anything except the thing they use to cut rings.  After much fighting with it, trying to keep the hook from wedging around the cutter, the hook was removed.  I have a small set of bolt cutters in my bag now.
"You know Grady, some people think I'm overprepared, paranoid, maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any Pre-Cambrian lifeforms did they?" -- Burt Gummer

sheddi

Quote from: Crosscut on April 26, 2022, 10:18:16 AMSo as not to go too long/far offtopic, the best tip I could find after a 5 minute search:

It works on normal people too, not just Brits :greenguy:  Where is @sheddi btw?
You called :D ?
Apologies for my recent absence, just one thing after another keeping me away from the forum. (Not all of them unwelcome; last week, for example, I was on vacation.)

Crosscut

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk