The All Purpose Flashlight CHAT Thread

Started by Raptor, June 09, 2021, 04:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raptor

Quote from: Raptor on July 07, 2021, 03:40:58 PM
These are on sale for $10.19. I purchased two of these and they are good buy for a bright flashlight @ this price.

They use 4 AA batteries so nothing exotic is needed battery wise. I use these with rechargeable batteries and it works well.

https://smile.amazon.com/High-Powered-Flashlight-RECHOO-Upgraded-Flashlights-Resistant-Flash/dp/B08BNNNP25/ref=pd_rhf_ee_s_rpt_comp_bia_alters_1/143-9969403-1154168?pd_rd_w=WocwM&pf_rd_p=cfafa29f-2d34-4feb-b297-fff281f16bdd&pf_rd_r=RGCE5Y45VHKYQX1YQA2S&pd_rd_r=a8446467-c989-496a-8205-424cd69243c8&pd_rd_wg=UU39l&pd_rd_i=B08BNNNP25&psc=1#customerReviews

The build quality is decent and the battery holder is not cheap thin plastic but seems durable. This not a Streamlight, Fenix or Maglight but for the price is a decent very bright light.

This is a very similar one that bought and the price is even cheaper @ $8.99
https://smile.amazon.com/LETMY-High-Powered-LED-Flashlight-S2000/dp/B088PGJQJW/ref=b2b_gw_d_cbia_4/145-4148639-6199308?pd_rd_w=2zWZ2&pf_rd_p=e7cb245b-bb8d-4b28-ae8c-8f503c190f1f&pf_rd_r=XTM7V157TZ7CKSXNHNTM&pd_rd_r=55fd9a97-3c5b-438b-9df1-fe047d61cde2&pd_rd_wg=Yq9U6&pd_rd_i=B088PGJQJW&psc=1
Folks you are on your own...Plan and act accordingly!

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

NT2C

Got myself a brand new model of Olight flashlight!  An X9R... cell

Ain't it just the cutest lil' thing!   :smiley_crocodile:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

Nyte

Quote from: NT2C on August 06, 2021, 11:29:31 AM
Got myself a brand new model of Olight flashlight!  An X9R... cell

Ain't it just the cutest lil' thing!   :smiley_crocodile:

D'awww

EBuff75

I have to admit that a CR425 battery was a new one on me.  I'd never heard of it before, but apparently it's pretty well known in fishing circles for use with floats / tip lights.
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

wolf_from_wv

Quote from: Mr. E. Monkey on July 27, 2021, 11:41:04 AM
QuoteNot everything needs to be a million candle-power light with 18 modes; just getting light is often enough.

Sometimes it's nice to have a flashlight that is useful, but doesn't summon Batman.   :awesome:

It's hard to read from a book with a 300 candle-power light...  Then, there was the time I was helping someone back a trailer up after dark, and someone commented that I "had a flashlight that could be seen from space".  I try to carry a couple lights, one for small tasks and one to light the place up.
"You know Grady, some people think I'm overprepared, paranoid, maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any Pre-Cambrian lifeforms did they?" -- Burt Gummer

NT2C

I recently picked up an Olight Archer and holy cow is this thing a sweet little bundle of lumens!

1,000 lumens max with a 535m throw and a square beam (yes, square, okay it's a rectangle but that's a square too) down to a 5 lumen moonlight mode it has run times as long as 200 hours.  Easily fits in your hand at about the size and weight of a full-size double-stack 9mm magazine and with a really nice belt holster and magnetic charging it's a good value for the $69.95 sale price I got it for and not a bad deal at the $99 regular price.  About the only thing I wish is that it weren't so slick in the hand.  The hard anodized coating on it and tapering shape make it almost jump out of your hand when you first try it, especially if your skin is dry.  With gloves on it may well prove impossible to hold and it lacks any provision for a lanyard.  Olight would be well advised to consider adding a lanyard hole to future models, and maybe some knurling.

Oh, and my wife liked it so much she went back and bought two more, one to put in each of our vehicles.

Current Weather in My AO

RoneKiln

Ya'all finally got me on the olight train.

I ordered a javelot that was 25% off and for another buck I got one of the little rechargeable keychain lights. 

I think I'd like one of the Warrior 3S lights too.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

majorhavoc

Quote from: NT2C on October 06, 2021, 12:06:40 AMI recently picked up an Olight Archer and holy cow is this thing a sweet little bundle of lumens!

About the only thing I wish is that it weren't so slick in the hand.  The hard anodized coating on it and tapering shape make it almost jump out of your hand when you first try it, especially if your skin is dry.  With gloves on it may well prove impossible to hold and it lacks any provision for a lanyard.  Olight would be well advised to consider adding a lanyard hole to future models, and maybe some knurling.

Oh, and my wife liked it so much she went back and bought two more, one to put in each of our vehicles.
It's a thing of beauty!  I'm going to wax philosophic for a moment about quality for the sake of quality.

I think the thing that some people don't understand about spending $70 or $100 on a flashlight or $200 on a pocket knife or chosing a DeWalt drill over a Ryobi is there's a certain undeniable satisfaction that comes from owning a really fine quality product.  Something made to a very high standard and aimed at someone who can appreciate that. It's an intangible that's often mistaken for snobbiness or conspicuous consumption.  It's not that at all.  It's a genuine appreciation for owning and using something built to work and work well. And there's a certain inherent beauty that accompanies products like that.  Form flowing from function, if you will.

And I'm not talking about a Rolex Submariner or a Bentley Grey Ghost here.  I'm talking about attainable premium products versus trophies of obscene luxury. 

I have a friend who does a lot of baking and had casually mentioned on and off about someday getting a real stand mixer to replace this anemic hand held model she used.  She's a working mom and her family has done a lot for me over the years.  For her birthday, I got her one of those KitchenAid heavy duty stand mixers in Aqua Blue.  The really nice model with an all metal gear train and beater attachements that don't just spin, but revolve in an oscilating, orbital pattern.

She couldn't quite fathom why I had spent so much to get her something that nice when all she was thinking of was a consumer grade Sunbeam stand mixer. "Sometimes it's just nice to have really nice things" is what I told her. 

I think something like the Olight Archer must be like that.  Would a Everready flashlight get the job done?  Probably.  But it likely won't last as long and definitely won't perform anywhere near as well in extreme situations. And knowing Olight, I bet it just exudes quality and craftsmanship.  I was about to suggest adding some friction tape around the body to improve the grip, but maybe that'll take away that satisfying feeling of sleek build quality.  :smiley_bril: 
A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!
<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

NapalmMan67

Quote from: NT2C on October 06, 2021, 12:06:40 AMI recently picked up an Olight Archer and holy cow is this thing a sweet little bundle of lumens!

1,000 lumens max with a 535m throw and a square beam (yes, square, okay it's a rectangle but that's a square too) down to a 5 lumen moonlight mode it has run times as long as 200 hours.  Easily fits in your hand at about the size and weight of a full-size double-stack 9mm magazine and with a really nice belt holster and magnetic charging it's a good value for the $69.95 sale price I got it for and not a bad deal at the $99 regular price.  About the only thing I wish is that it weren't so slick in the hand.  The hard anodized coating on it and tapering shape make it almost jump out of your hand when you first try it, especially if your skin is dry.  With gloves on it may well prove impossible to hold and it lacks any provision for a lanyard.  Olight would be well advised to consider adding a lanyard hole to future models, and maybe some knurling.

Maybe a few strips of strategically placed grip tape would help?
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

NT2C

Quote from: NapalmMan67 on October 26, 2022, 02:54:46 PM

Maybe a few strips of strategically placed grip tape would help?
Possibly, but you're limited on where/how due to the way it slides into the holster. It would have to be a narrow strip down the center of the front or back of the light (and you'd have to choose then if you wanted to carry with the switch out or the light turned around to protect the switch) and not be able to change after that.  Truth be told, Olight should have knurled a strip down the front and back, slightly below the surface, for just this purpose.

Current Weather in My AO

NapalmMan67

Ahhhh, I wasn't aware it had a holster.  I see now.

Pine tar?  j/k.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

RoneKiln

Holy crude the Javelot has some range to it. I think olights claim for 600 meters is BS, but it still has a heck of a range!

I'd say it very clearly lights up an area 100 yards away, and somewhat lights up an area 200 yards away. I'm impressed.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

NT2C

I'm dangerous around flashlights when I have money.  :icon_crazy:

I pulled the trigger this morning on a NITECORE TIKI LE for $20, which isn't so bad, but then I saw the Nitecore NU07 LE 5-Color Rechargeable Signal Light and had to get a pair of them (one will be a gift to a friend) for $30 ea.

Okay, still under $100 so not bad.  Then I saw...

The Sofirn Q8 Plus and I'm Jonesing for it.  $127 (20% off coupon though which gets it down to the actual price on the Sofirn site) and 16,000 lumens.  Confirmed in a lot of reviews and tests.  That's a 527m beam. 

Fuck it, it's Christmas and I was a good boy all year.  :greenguy:

Current Weather in My AO

Anianna

EBuff75 recommended these GearLight TAC LED flashlights to me as an inexpensive option after I said I preferred not having to click through settings.  It came in a two pack, so I gave one to Handy Kid and he is oohing and ahhing over the zoom feature which is apparently great for working in tight spaces at work (he's an electrician).  They have a good weight and a solid feel to them and seem like a good choice.  They are pretty similar in some ways to the Coleman I was longing for.

Thanks, EBuff75!
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

You can get some silicone grip wrap or Re-Grip for it.  The grip wrap comes in a variety of colors to choose from.

∩(=^_^=)

EBuff75

Quote from: Anianna on December 26, 2022, 09:22:30 PMEBuff75 recommended these GearLight TAC LED flashlights to me as an inexpensive option after I said I preferred not having to click through settings.  It came in a two pack, so I gave one to Handy Kid and he is oohing and ahhing over the zoom feature which is apparently great for working in tight spaces at work (he's an electrician).  They have a good weight and a solid feel to them and seem like a good choice.  They are pretty similar in some ways to the Coleman I was longing for.

Thanks, EBuff75!
Glad to hear it!  Hope that they give you as much use as that old Coleman!
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

NT2C

Quote from: Anianna on December 26, 2022, 09:30:05 PM

You can get some silicone grip wrap or Re-Grip for it.  The grip wrap comes in a variety of colors to choose from.

Unfortunately, then it won't go into its belt holster.  :(

Current Weather in My AO

Anianna

Quote from: NT2C on December 26, 2022, 10:34:43 PM
Quote from: Anianna on December 26, 2022, 09:30:05 PM

Unfortunately, then it won't go into its belt holster.  :(
I don't know how attached you are to that specific holster, but there are ways around that, as well.  A little paracord work and you have a custom holster or work it into the silicone grip to make a lanyard hook.  Plus, are you even going to use a belt holster for the ones your wife got for your vehicles?  The silicone grip can handle extreme temps, so it would be an ideal solution for those ones if you're not going to use the holster for them. 

∩(=^_^=)

NT2C

Yes, we are pretty attached to that holster, especially in the vehicles because it covers and protects the activation switch.  These things get really hot if left on and I'd rather not have one activate in a closed glovebox.

The holsters really are kinda nice, very durable, and allow the light to be charged while in the holster using the magnetic charger.

I just took some photos to show what I mean, if you want to see them.

Current Weather in My AO

Anianna

Quote from: NT2C on December 27, 2022, 08:01:19 AMYes, we are pretty attached to that holster, especially in the vehicles because it covers and protects the activation switch.  These things get really hot if left on and I'd rather not have one activate in a closed glovebox.

The holsters really are kinda nice, very durable, and allow the light to be charged while in the holster using the magnetic charger.

I just took some photos to show what I mean, if you want to see them.
Sure. 

∩(=^_^=)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk