Quick! Pandemic is Raging, Bugin as Long as Possible!

Started by Halfapint, June 07, 2021, 10:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

For me, this Event has been a succession of what worked/failed.

My apartment has always pretty much been for sleeping and holding what I needed to go back out and about. My life has been outside of the apartment. Except during the annual flu season.

By mid Jan 2020 I deduced the situation would turn into this Event but I failed to be effective in communicating it to fam & friends; that a minimum of extra might well be important.

Before the panic buying I was as stocked as I knew how, so success. Then relatives got hit and I shipped surgical masks from my stock to them; success. 5 cases (known of), 2 dead, 1 permanent lung damage. Sorrow. 2 fully recovered. Gratitude.

This building went on lockdown to outsiders in April? May? I was still walking outside until one evening in April I noticed I could smell no flowers, pine trees, fresh cut grass. So I did a 2 week successful quarentine. I had planned for and started doing in apartment exercise enough, semi regularly. Success.

Our first building case was the first week? in August, and on my hallway not far from my own door. I was prepared (success) so went into isolation while it ran thru the building August - January.

Became ill in December, respitory/fever, brain fog, low blood oxygen. But I was prepared, so success.

It was late March/early April before I felt fully recovered. And during the time I was ill my emotional resilience took a massive hit from which I don't yet seem to have recovered. So emotional resilience prepping was a failure.

During isolation I discovered I eat far less than I thought. Enough, certainly, just less. Like camping/hiking, I over prepare with food. 😊 Prep success. And I neither gained nor lost weight during the sixteen months. I consider that a success.

Early on in isolation I found I would go on binges of peanut butter and crackers as comfort food. I had what I thought was a year supply of peanut butter, 4 months of which I ate in around six weeks. But I suddenly stopped so still have eight months worth, so success.

Once I went on a Spam binge.

Another time I went on a nuts binge; peanuts, pecans, walnuts, almonds, cachews.  But I had prepped enough for what I estimated to be a year, and the binge didn't cut into them significantly, so success.

Another binge that recurred periodically was hot spices. Hot spices on everything, even just a cracker. Oatmeal, bread, veggies, nuts, everything. I had prepped three 6 gallon buckets of spice/herbs/condiments and had plenty to go for another year. Success.

I relearned that I am an excellent sprinter in Events; planning, prepping, weeks 'in' the Event recovery.

But a long term Event? I exibit significant weakness in some area. My exercise dwindled as the months moved by. My resilience is shot. And I was white-knuckling this January & February with cabin fever.

So lots of successes, but also two important failures; maintaining long-term adaptive exercise, plus resilience.

RoneKiln

Quote from: Ever (Zombiepreparation) on July 08, 2021, 11:17:45 PM
It was late March/early April before I felt fully recovered. And during the time I was ill my emotional resilience took a massive hit from which I don't yet seem to have recovered. So emotional resilience prepping was a failure.

Remember a huge part of emotional resilience is biological. And you were sick. With reduced exercise. This impacts the brain, brain chemicals, and all the biological systems that interact with and maintain the brain.

You said you used to spemd most of your free time outside of the apartment. I'm betting that means you lost most of your coping mechanisms.

I have no idea how to prep for that. Are you being fair to yourself? Or can you help me understand how you (and therefore I) could have better prepped for emotional resiliency?
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Quote from: RoneKiln on July 10, 2021, 01:19:49 AM
Quote from: Ever (Zombiepreparation) on July 08, 2021, 11:17:45 PM

Remember a huge part of emotional resilience is biological. And you were sick. With reduced exercise. This impacts the brain, brain chemicals, and all the biological systems that interact with and maintain the brain.

You said you used to spend most of your free time outside of the apartment. I'm betting that means you lost most of your coping mechanisms.

I have no idea how to prep for that. Are you being fair to yourself? Or can you help me understand how you (and therefore I) could have better prepped for emotional resiliency?
Brain & biology. Right.

In this particular case, after doing a lot of personal review, I'm thinking it is a cascading endorphin production system failure.

Think I've identified the point it began. Pre December illness I was successfully adapting to the Event. Post illness my resilience began to fail. Eventually nosediving.

Good call on that.

Am currently thinking a missing piece was that I intellectually realized this could happen but could not grasp its scope. Therefore could not prep for it.

So, now, more awareness re What if? resilience begins a downward spiraling trajectory. Illness? Stress? Et cetera. Just like every other prepped for contingency: Have a plan. Practice the plan before it's needed, before being in an Event.

In this scenario endorphin production without my 'outside of my apartment coping mechanisms' available on top of illness... as I believe you have correctly identified.

Thanks.

This resilience thing could show up in lots of disaster situations, as @the_alias mentions. Man-made disaster as well.

Like my list would be to identify the problem: spiraling resilience. Then note possible causes: in this case long illness. Remember that one antidote to dwindling resilience is endorphins. Review my pre-prepped options for increasing endorphin production within my current situation.

For which I've identified several. Now to run a test on them.

Hey.  Thanks for giving a ...... 🙂

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk