The Good News Thread.

Started by Moab, August 19, 2021, 11:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moab

We so often hang on to the negative around here. Meaning what bad thing might happen. Lets share some good news!

Whether it be prepping related or just personal.

Lets see. My sons at UCLA getting a better than 4.0 grade average. Super proud of all his hard work.

I finally got my ESEE 4HM for my birthday. Love that knife.

I also got a real tarp. Finally.

My wifes new heart is healthy and not rejecting.

Im getting much needed dental work done today. I will be able to drink cold drinks without it feeling like an icepick to my face.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Blast

Whoa, a new heart not being rejected sounds like more than just good news!
-Blast
My book*: Outdoor Adventures Guide - Foraging
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

lurkedthere

A few weeks ago my parents had their 60th wedding anniversary. On the day (Thursday) I took the day off and took them for a pub lunch. First time eating out in 18 months. When we got back to their home there was an anniversary card from The Queen that had come through the letterbox.

The following Saturday our whole family went out for a pub meal and Mum & Dad got to hug the Grandkids for the first time in 18 months.

On a different note, I inadvertently drove a car without spectacles for the first time ever since passing my test in 1979. I'm very short sighted but had a cataract op recently. I drove to the shop about a mile away and realised I did not have my specs on! My right eye is now 20:20 but the left is still short sighted. I'm using specs with the right lens removed. Lefty, which has a small cateract, will be done shortly.

ETA: I always keep my "newest" old pair of specs in the car, which had been duly relieved of their right lens so I was Ok driving home.

It's called being prepared.

EBuff75

Because our company picnic was cancelled due to the resurgence of Covid in the area, my department decided to have their own event in its place.  As a result, I got to take half of the day off to meet up with coworkers, many of whom I haven't seen in-person in about a year and a half.  We had some great food which was paid for by the company and then got to hang out at a park, overlooking a lake on a gorgeous, sunny day with a nice breeze! 

Then (because I had the rest of the afternoon off once the food/conversation was over), I dropped by my local gun store and picked up a nice Henry .22LR lever-action for a pretty good price.  While I was there I was able to talk "nerd stuff" with the guy helping me (who used to work for a large, fruit-related tech company) ranging from various computer / tech / IT topics to LOTR trivia.  :))   

When I arrived home I got to do something which is often underrated as an adult - take a nap!

All in all, that's a pretty good day if I do say so myself!
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

RoneKiln

"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

MPMalloy

Quote from: EBuff75 on August 19, 2021, 08:34:14 PMWhen I arrived home I got to do something which is often underrated as an adult - take a nap!
Badly underrated, imo.

Crosscut

An old friend just called to tell me he bought a 2003 Yamaha WR450 dual sport, now I have a riding buddy.  :awesome:  He and another even older friend will be spending the weekend at our guest house in a couple weeks, hoping we can convince him to buy a dual sport too.  The last time we rode dirt bikes together was about 1987, and in the same woods where I live now.  Time to check my bike bag and update it accordingly, especially the FAK since we're a little older than the last time we rode.  :))

carrotstick

Literally shared with no one else yet...sold my house and finalizing the purchase of a house and 50 acres next week.

flybynight

Quote from: carrotstick on October 01, 2021, 04:58:03 PM
Literally shared with no one else yet...sold my house and finalizing the purchase of a house and 50 acres next week.

Thats awesome   :awesome:
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

RoneKiln

Congrats! What part of the world is the new place? Are you having to move far? Same general area?
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

carrotstick

Quote from: RoneKiln on October 01, 2021, 10:51:26 PM

Congrats! What part of the world is the new place? Are you having to move far? Same general area?

An exodus from WA wasn't in the cards, so I settled for a relocation from the Skykomish Valley to the foothills outside Ellensurg. Not too far in terms of distance but very far in terms of what I'll call the climate of things. Also, I'll be in Idaho when they annex us...really though, the biggest change will be 100' cedars surrounding my meager acre and daily rain to high plains with no trees and ever present wind.

Oregonian

My daughter just turned 2 months old

Halfapint

Didn't know how to bring it up to the ZS crew, but wife is pregnant, 17 weeks as of today. We are very excited. And not that we wouldn't have been as excited, but we both wanted a boy, and we were fortunate enough to get a boy.

So baby Half coming March 2022
The original Half gettin sum land thread
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=111413

Quote from: SpazzyTell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Crosscut

Quote from: Halfapint on October 07, 2021, 03:39:58 AM
Didn't know how to bring it up to the ZS crew, but wife is pregnant, 17 weeks as of today. We are very excited. And not that we wouldn't have been as excited, but we both wanted a boy, and we were fortunate enough to get a boy.

Congrats Half! 

But do we call the little guy Quarterpint, or Halfacup?  :D

Halfapint

Quote from: Crosscut on October 07, 2021, 04:58:46 AM

Congrats Half! 

But do we call the little guy Quarterpint, or Halfacup?  :D

Halfacup, I like it! We call him CG for now for CrotchGoblin  :D
The original Half gettin sum land thread
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=111413

Quote from: SpazzyTell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: Halfapint on October 07, 2021, 03:39:58 AM

Congrats, Halfapint.  :smiley_clap:

My brother and his wife had another kid last month. This is their third daughter and sixth child total. They've got a full set now at three boys and three girls now.

My youngest nephew was worried he was going to have to share his birthday month with his new baby sister, but since she arrived a month early, now he doesn't. :smiley_crocodile:

carrotstick

WOO!  :smiley_clap: Congrats on all the bebes!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk