Primus 8R - an oldie but goodie

Started by TACAIR, June 29, 2021, 07:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TACAIR

To begin - I am an OF (old fart) which means I saw a lot of camping gear show up as new....

Fast forward a few decades to today. 

Over the weekend , my DW spotted a "Estate sale" sign, so you know the rest. 

I told her, "I'm looking for a single burner Coleman, a Grswald 8 In cast iron skillet or a Zenith TransOceanic Royal 7000"  (in my dreams) - got to have a goal to win, right?

After walking thru the garage - my DW say - "Hey, what about this?"  Points to badly spray painted box.

like this

a MID-60S Primus 8R gas stove.   $25 later, it was in Das Van and on the way home.

This one came with the little pressure pump - as often sold for the Svea 123 series stoves.

I flushed out the tank as it smelled like auto gas of unknown age.   Put in about 100ml of Coleman white gas, swished it around, dumped it out.

Added 250ml of the Coleman fuel, lit it off and it purred like it should.
I do light mine a bit differently.

Most folks pump the tank, let fuel dribble out in the 'Spirit cup" and light it off - complaining all the time about the sooty flame and how long it take before the stove settles in to working.  The two foot high flame is just a bonus.   .   .No thanks.

I use a small syringe and put about 20ml of HEET (yellow bottle) in the "spirit cup"   I then squirt a bit over the tank.  Light that off.  After the flames die down, add a bit more to the SC and light that -  then cracking open the valve.

Generally, this starts the stove purring right away with no nasty soot or flame column to the moon...  Using the  pump is asking for trouble IMO.

I've cleaned up the tank and burner,  next to is to strip off all the old spray paint, hopefully to bare metal.

I have a pair of Svea 123s - this was picked up for for a loaner.

manual w/pics here - https://www.trailspace.com/gear/optimus/8r/

I'd much rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist....

My fiction work is found here:
https://www.amazon.com/D-K-Richardson/e/B005JT4QP2/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Tony D Tiger

Nice find. This plus CG's aeropress comment ...I might just dig out the Coleman Peak stove for independence week camping.  :coffee3:

Blast

My book*: Outdoor Adventures Guide - Foraging
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Nyte

That is a gorgeous piece of equipment.

NapalmMan67

Very cool.  I love old equipment like this and bonus when it works as it should!
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk