Main Menu

Recent posts

Communications / Re: Some Thoughts on Planning ...
Last post by NT2C - April 10, 2024, 12:46:06 PM
In my shack gear I have "DC to daylight" coverage on receive, operable from AC/DC/solar/generator/battery.  On the transmit side, I have UHF down to 160m covered including DMR, P25, C4FM, and most other digital modes.  I'm really weak on Morse though and need to improve my skills there (hard with my hearing disability) and especially QRP CW
Disasters in Current Events / Re: Francis Scott Key bridge i...
Last post by airballrad - April 10, 2024, 09:59:16 AM
It's hard to fully take in all the ripples from this.

This does not affect me on a daily basis anymore, but I have had family working in and around the port for generations. My three brothers are out of work until the channel is opened for commercial traffic again, and they will have an altered commute for years as all of them used this bridge to get from the West side to Dundalk. My mother texted me that morning to tell me that all were safe; although I did have a cousin cross an hour before the collapse.

That said, it could have been much worse at a different time of day. Being much closer these days to the Sunshine Skyway bridge these days, and knowing the collapse it suffered in similar circumstances over 40 years ago, it could have been much worse.
Current Events of Note / Re: Millennials to be the rich...
Last post by Uomo Senza Nome - April 10, 2024, 09:42:15 AM
Quote from: MacWa77ace on April 10, 2024, 09:35:01 AM
Quote from: Uomo Senza Nome on April 10, 2024, 09:17:22 AM
Quote from: MacWa77ace on April 10, 2024, 09:12:47 AMHow come the boomers aren't the richest @ 80 Trillion if their wealth is pre inheritance tax dollars?

80 Trillion minus The Fed Govt takes up to 37% of that in inheritance tax and then there's the state taxes on inheritance [in some states]. Lets say average of 37%. 80 - 37% = 50.4 Trillion.  :smiley_shrug:

You left out the $34,000,000,000,000 in national debt (and climbing). If I "own" a $450K home with a $300K mortgage my interest in it is only $150K at best. In the time it took me to write this post it went up $5,000,000+.

That 34 trillion will paid off by gen ZZZZZZZE12

This article is not factoring in the coming housing crash and depression either.

But remember, many of those boomers bought that $450K market value home in 1977 for $79K and have since paid it off. Now if they can just keep possession of it with the property tax increases and the ridiculous home owners insurance rates these days.  :rolleyes1: My neighborhood was built back then and there are a whole bunch of neighbors that have lived here since then and paid off their homes. They are dieing off now and their kids inherit and sell the homes. That's all capital gains taxes on them and they went for approx $75K back then, now $500+ depending on sqft, # bedrooms, pool/no pool, updates upgrades.
You don't pay Federal Capital Gains taxes on inherited property. You only pay for the appreciation from when you inherit it. This is why it is a good idea to always get an appraisal done as soon as you inherit property. Also it helps ease things for other inheritors. 

I never inherited property myself. When my mother passed she was living in a house I had bought for her. A sibling mistakenly thought she was going to inherit the house, because she said my mother told her she could have it when she passed. :smiley_nah:

It took a little delicate doing to explain that wasn't how it worked.
Last post by MacWa77ace - April 10, 2024, 09:35:01 AM
Quote from: Uomo Senza Nome on April 10, 2024, 09:17:22 AM
Quote from: MacWa77ace on April 10, 2024, 09:12:47 AMHow come the boomers aren't the richest @ 80 Trillion if their wealth is pre inheritance tax dollars?

80 Trillion minus The Fed Govt takes up to 37% of that in inheritance tax and then there's the state taxes on inheritance [in some states]. Lets say average of 37%. 80 - 37% = 50.4 Trillion.  :smiley_shrug:

You left out the $34,000,000,000,000 in national debt (and climbing). If I "own" a $450K home with a $300K mortgage my interest in it is only $150K at best. In the time it took me to write this post it went up $5,000,000+.

That 34 trillion will paid off by gen ZZZZZZZE12

This article is not factoring in the coming housing crash and depression either.

But remember, many of those boomers bought that $450K market value home in 1977 for $79K and have since paid it off. Now if they can just keep possession of it with the property tax increases and the ridiculous home owners insurance rates these days.  :rolleyes1: My neighborhood was built back then and there are a whole bunch of neighbors that have lived here since then and paid off their homes. They are dieing off now and their kids inherit and sell the homes. That's all capital gains taxes on them and they went for approx $75K back then, now $500+ depending on sqft, # bedrooms, pool/no pool, updates upgrades.
Last post by Uomo Senza Nome - April 10, 2024, 09:17:22 AM

Last post by MacWa77ace - April 10, 2024, 09:12:47 AM
 How come the boomers aren't the richest @ 80 Trillion if their wealth is pre inheritance tax dollars?

Last post by Uomo Senza Nome - April 10, 2024, 08:55:41 AM
I'll reserve judgment for the moment.

Site Rules, Regulations, and Traditions / Re: Site Q&A
Last post by MacWa77ace - April 10, 2024, 08:52:18 AM
Quote from: TACAIR on April 09, 2024, 08:01:20 PMMust be something in my setting for the Browers, for example, I have ad blocker on full time.
I don't think settings are your issue.

I hadn't touched the settings on Firefox and Safari and it DIDN'T work on those.
I hadn't touched the settings on Edge and it WORKs on that. Duck Duck Go and Chrome I've got some setting customizations on those and it WORKs on those.

Its just that some sites work better on some browsers than others IMO.

Transportation / Re: What did you do today for ...
Last post by majorhavoc - April 10, 2024, 07:40:58 AM
NT2C looks up from his tablet during a road trip three years later:
"Honey, did you know this thing comes with a passenger side ejection seat?"

Mrs. NT2C, quickly reaching for the console touchscreen: 
"Really? Where would that be, under 'Other Options'? 
Current Events of Note / Millennials to be the richest ...
Last post by flybynight - April 10, 2024, 05:16:59 AM
Interesting. 
As a generation, baby boomers, those born between 1946 and 1964, have done very well for themselves.

Blessed with the good fortune to have entered adulthood at the start of an era of exploding housing values and sustained stock market growth, the roughly 20% of Americans who fall into the boomer generation have amassed $80 trillion in cumulative wealth — nearly as much as all other living generations combined. With the oldest boomers now approaching 80, some of that wealth has started to be passed down to younger generations, marking the early stages of what's become known as the "Great Wealth Transfer."

In the coming decades, economists estimate that the children of boomers, most of them millennials born between 1981 and 1996, stand to inherit as much as $70 trillion to $90 trillion in real estate, stock, cash and other assets in the U.S. alone. It'll be enough to make millennials "the richest generation in history," according to one recent analysis.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/americas-great-wealth-transfer-is-underway-how-will-it-impact-the-country-212207756.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk