Author Topic: Airguns chat! Started as PCP airguns, now all welcome!  (Read 257 times)

Online EBuff75

• No, I'm the other one.
  • Paid Member
  • I'm new (aren't we all?) and I have changed this.
  • Reactions:
Re: Airguns chat! Started as PCP airguns, now all welcome!
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2021, 10:30:53 PM »
Bought a Crossman 760 years ago after my old 2100 gave up the ghost.  Have been using the 760 for pest control over the years, but sometimes required follow up shots to finish the job.

Recently acquired a Gamo Wildcat .22.  Fantastic for the money imo, it's accurate and powerful.  Tree rats and garden munchers stand no chance...  OSOK (head shot) on a whistle pig a few weeks ago.  Would recommend if needing a basic accurate varmint gun.

NapalmMan67, it's interesting to me that you went from a 2100 to the 760 - that seems like a significant step backwards!  My 2nd BB gun was a 760 (those things were ubiquitous back in the 80's), which I shot until the seals wore out.  Back then there wasn't any internet for me to be able to buy replacement parts, so it went into the garbage.  I've got several generations of them now (which I've purchased recently for nostalgia purposes) plus a 2100, and a couple of break-barrel rifles (Crosman Nitro Venom in .177 and a Crosman Redtail in .22).  Can't really shoot any of them where I live right now, so the best I can do is to do some plinking in my basement using a BB/pellet trap.

I still have my first ever BB gun, a Daisy which looks the same the Red Ryder, but without the Red Ryder branding on it.  It's in terrible condition (stored in my parent's garage for decades), but could definitely be restored if I wanted to put the effort in. 

I also have an oddball, a Daisy Powerline 814 Sporter, which sort of mimics the look of the Mini 14 with a folding stock.  I bought it as a teenager to replace the 760 when it died.  Only thing missing after all these years is part of the rear peep site, which doesn't really matter much anyway.  It still works, but even new it was only good for about 400fps. 

Ah, memories...   :D
Information - it’s all a battle for information. You have to know what’s happening if you’re going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

Offline MacWa77ace

• Global Moderator
  • Putrescence and Liquification.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2021, 08:26:59 AM »
Airguns not being firearms, you don't have to worry about any ordinances regarding discharging firearms within city limits to clear vermin. Also in most cases overpenetration, ricochets and tree shot misses are less of an issue than with 22 cartridges.

We have an Iguana invation in my AO, and I've seen critter control along the turnpike a couple of times terminating those suckers with airguns. Last Friday on my way home there was this one stretch were every 20yds there was another Iguana. LOL, as I was driving by I was imagining walking along the side of the highway popping heads with my Benji, but then immediately thought, that's got to be like a 100lbs of lizard, would I just leave them there or put 'em in a trash can for removal? Then I thought about having to pump that Benji up that many times and the fantasy crashed.  :(

You guys sub Ted's Holdover on YT right?

Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Online 12_Gauge_Chimp

• Official Forum Trunk Monkey
  • Global Moderator
  • Who left my cage open ?
  • Reactions:
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2021, 11:13:06 AM »
I've watched a few videos, but I'm not subbed yet.

There's another guy I've watched "EdgunLeshy" and the guy running the channel is hilarious. He'll get the occasional anti-hunter troll and he'll just rip into them.

I think he's sponsored by a Russian airgun company, which probably explains why he only ever uses a certain brand. The air guns he uses are pretty interesting, though.

Offline NapalmMan67

• Official Party Dude
  • I'll never change.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2021, 12:21:14 PM »
Bought a Crossman 760 years ago after my old 2100 gave up the ghost.  Have been using the 760 for pest control over the years, but sometimes required follow up shots to finish the job.

Recently acquired a Gamo Wildcat .22.  Fantastic for the money imo, it's accurate and powerful.  Tree rats and garden munchers stand no chance...  OSOK (head shot) on a whistle pig a few weeks ago.  Would recommend if needing a basic accurate varmint gun.

NapalmMan67, it's interesting to me that you went from a 2100 to the 760 - that seems like a significant step backwards!  My 2nd BB gun was a 760 (those things were ubiquitous back in the 80's), which I shot until the seals wore out.  Back then there wasn't any internet for me to be able to buy replacement parts, so it went into the garbage.  I've got several generations of them now (which I've purchased recently for nostalgia purposes) plus a 2100, and a couple of break-barrel rifles (Crosman Nitro Venom in .177 and a Crosman Redtail in .22).  Can't really shoot any of them where I live right now, so the best I can do is to do some plinking in my basement using a BB/pellet trap.

I still have my first ever BB gun, a Daisy which looks the same the Red Ryder, but without the Red Ryder branding on it.  It's in terrible condition (stored in my parent's garage for decades), but could definitely be restored if I wanted to put the effort in. 

I also have an oddball, a Daisy Powerline 814 Sporter, which sort of mimics the look of the Mini 14 with a folding stock.  I bought it as a teenager to replace the 760 when it died.  Only thing missing after all these years is part of the rear peep site, which doesn't really matter much anyway.  It still works, but even new it was only good for about 400fps. 

Ah, memories...   :D 

Yes, I would have much preferred another 2100.  BUT, 12 or 13ish years ago when I bought the 760, I was unwilling to add an additional $20.00-30.00 to a $45.00 air gun...  see next comment on macwa77s quote.

Airguns not being firearms, you don't have to worry about any ordinances regarding discharging firearms within city limits to clear vermin. Also in most cases overpenetration, ricochets and tree shot misses are less of an issue than with 22 cartridges.

You guys sub Ted's Holdover on YT right? 

In my glorious state, an air gun with a projectile diameter of .18 or greater, or any air gun that discharges projectiles above 700fps is considered a firearm.  Have to fill out a 4473, pay the $20-30.00 transfer fee and 24 hour waiting period.  So, there's that.

Never heard of Ted Holdover.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

Online 12_Gauge_Chimp

• Official Forum Trunk Monkey
  • Global Moderator
  • Who left my cage open ?
  • Reactions:
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2021, 02:16:05 PM »
Here in Texas airguns aren't really regulated at all.

You go into whatever store sells them, pick the one you want, pay for it and walk out with it. Only thing the stores require is you be at least 18 and have a valid ID or driver's license to purchase.

No forms to fill out, no background checks, nothing.

Offline MacWa77ace

• Global Moderator
  • Putrescence and Liquification.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2021, 02:40:17 PM »

In my glorious state, an air gun with a projectile diameter of .18 or greater, or any air gun that discharges projectiles above 700fps is considered a firearm.  Have to fill out a 4473, pay the $20-30.00 transfer fee and 24 hour waiting period.  So, there's that.

Never heard of Ted Holdover.

Wow, that sucks, I'd have to read the specifics on that. Because the regulation could be on air rifles and not redifining them as firearms which would really be hard to do legally since lawyers love to argue definitions and terms.  I supposed they redefined the word 'fire' to make it include 'air' to get that to pass. Firearms have nothing to do with caliber, its all in the 'fire' part of that word. But if your local ordinance says firearms discharged within the city are illegal, then airguns,  and Laser guns aren't firearms either. Except in your state.  :smiley_devil:

Ted's  Channel on YT https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNqIq439XbEIeJhFJca2J-g

Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Offline superduder

• I'm new and haven't changed this yet.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2021, 03:19:38 AM »
I just finished modifying a Crosman 1322 for a friends birthday present.
He has loads of "real guns, but never owned a pellet gun.
I added (same setup as mine)
18inch barrel, barrel band, new front sight,and a bolt to replace the roll pin in the pump arm. "Big boy kit from pyramid air"
the Crosman stock, the zip tie mod, and 22lr case mod/trigger tuning (pics to come).
With the longer barrel, and stock, they're more accurate, and pull better fps
than with the regular 9in barrel with the same amount of pumps.
I also put the stock, 22lr case mod, 18in barrel, and zip tie mod on my 2240,
it's good for jackrabbits out to 30yds my 1322 (modded) 15-20yds.
Also I DID have a silencer for my 2240, bought from "Buck Rail" and it worked extremely well, until my rifle got dropped...
And by then they had stopped making them (fear of the alphabet is my best guess.)
but I would definitely buy another three two for me and one for previously mentioned friend, if they would make them again.

Again, Pics possibly articles to come.
Jay
"I get it, I get it... But it's Still a pain in the ass."
Shawn Kelly

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk