Author Topic: What if... Cholera?  (Read 64 times)

Offline Ever (Zombiepreparation)

• Reactions:
What if... Cholera?
« on: July 20, 2021, 03:17:51 AM »
I know this is a bad thing to get. I 'think' there are outbreaks in areas where large? groups are stationary, living in poor conditions with poor sanitation. Right? No? Is it water borne? Soil? More/other?

Like, say, during the aftermath a big disaster? Or in large groups of people who have fled from a crisis, and have sort of make-shift camped together because where do we go?

So what if I'm there, and it's there? And there little water to consume and much less for personal hygiene.

Do my LifeStraw and Sawyer water filtration things help in a scenario like that?

I can't leave in this 'what if'. I don''t have any kind of transportation. So how do I start protecting myself?

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 03:26:23 AM by Ever (Zombiepreparation) »
-- Nothing hurts like feeling you're safe, and then, having someone with power over you take it away.

Offline NT2C

• Administrator
  • Reactions:
Re: What if... Cholera?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 03:28:11 AM »
Yes, your filtration devices are critical in this situation, as is boiling.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Offline lurkedthere

• I'm new and haven't changed this yet.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 04:05:52 AM »
It's in water contaminated by sewage. A bad outbreak in London was stopped when John Snow worked this out and had the handle taken off the pump the victims were using. The Broad Street pump was a classical piece of epidemiology.

Offline Crosscut

• Paid Member
  • Reactions:
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 07:21:45 AM »
Prevention is key, but if someone did contract it...

Lots of Oral Rehydration Solution.  There's many formulas/recipes for homemade versions, the recipe that includes Lite Salt (potassium chloride) and baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) might be best for cholera and severe diarrhea in general since it replaces the potassium lost in dehydration and adds bicarbonate which is lost in diarrhea, which can cause acidosis.  And everything to make it is cheap and very shelf stable too, and would likely disappear from store shelves quickly in an epidemic.  Dehydration and ORS really deserves it's own thread.

For more severe dehydration, clysis is pretty simple and safe if you can acquire the supplies for it, and it provides fluid while resting and sleeping.

Doxycycline can shorten the course of cholera, https://www.cdc.gov/cholera/treatment/antibiotic-treatment.html

Zinc supplements, especially for kids.

Offline Ever (Zombiepreparation)

• Reactions:
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 08:40:33 PM »
What is the recommended boiling temperature and for how long?

Do I need to boil before using the filtration? After? Neither?
-- Nothing hurts like feeling you're safe, and then, having someone with power over you take it away.

Offline NT2C

• Administrator
  • Reactions:
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 06:14:37 AM »
What is the recommended boiling temperature and for how long?

Do I need to boil before using the filtration? After? Neither?
You can boil after filtration if you feel it needs it.  As for temp, well, it's boiling, so that would be 212F or 100C at sea level.  :smiley_knipoog:
15 minutes would be plenty of time.  There are organisms deep in the oceans around "black smokers" that can tolerate that but the filtration should have removed them if you somehow got one.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk