Minimalist bug out vehicle set up.

Started by Moab, September 26, 2021, 08:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moab

Im more and more convinced that a truck with a canopy is the best vehicle for bugging out, sleeping out or hunting.

This guy lives in his truck 24/7. And has the minimalist thing fairly well mapped out. Think of it as a baseline for what you need to sleep in your vehicle. No matter what it is.

Lastly there is an rei cot that fits around wheel wells in the back of a truck. Called the kingdom.

https://youtu.be/NUFyVUvLnSU
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Crosscut

I didn't watch the video (yet), but on the bed I've used one like this for the back seat of the truck and like it: www.amazon.com/Inflatable-Mattress-Universal-Outdoor-Camping/dp/B088T62K5B  Used it a few times on long trips, just to pull over and get a few hours sleep when traveling alone.  The dogs will get the truck bed under the cap, with their own pillow beds, although haven't tested that yet - but they love being in the truck so not expecting any difficulties.

Will be interested in seeing his cooking/cleaning setup. 

Lettuce Pray

I really like this guy's videos. He has been on the road full-time for something like 7 years. He recently bought property in Arizona and is starting to prepare it. I have gotten more than a few ideas from his videos that I hope to be able to use in the near future.

PistolPete

He has some great points and I dig his setup.  Personally though, I'd rather have a cargo van.  I had a truck with a camper shell for almost 15 years and there is just more usable space in a cargo van.  Plus, white cargo vans blend in anywhere, since they are popular with service workers.

Thanks for the share!  He looks to have an interesting channel.
All you have to do is stab someone once, just a little bit, to forever change the dynamic of the relationship.

Crosscut

Well that was worth the time to watch, some good ideas there.  Like his shower, beats the body wipes or the bar of Ivory and washclothes we carry for lake/river bathing in the summer.  Think I spotted a collapsible bucket in his gear box that didn't get mentioned, that's come in handy here a few times too for carrying water without taking up a lot of room.

Some thoughts, more personal preference and for local conditions then meant as criticisms, but I don't carry an axe in the primary BOV but a bow saw (and hatchet) instead.  Less for processing fire wood, they're used most often for clearing trees or branches that have fallen across the trail, along with a 16' 3/8" binder chain with clevis hooks for pulling the larger pieces (or the whole tree including the roots sometimes) out of the way.  Rarely are trees lying flat across a trail for chopping in my experience, more often they're at knee level or above, and sometimes over head height where the bow saw really comes in handy.  Would love to have a roof rack like his for extra gear but overhead branches are as much of an obstacle as trees laying across the trail around here, the only thing on the top of the truck is a Tram magnetic mount vhf/uhf antenna and it often gets knocked over by low hanging branches.

A shovel is a must have item here too, he didn't mention whether he camps where bathroom/outhouse/Porta-John facilities are available but they are few and far between around here, personally I get by with a mini shovel (28" or so long) rather than the full sized one.  It's stored on the bedrail "shelf" inside the cap along with a crow bar on one side, and a fire extinguisher and fishing rod&reel on the other side.  To keep the shovel and crowbar from falling off the shelf I used corner braces held down with JB Weld, found the JB Weld bonds great to the rough fiberglass surface of the cap almost by accident. The bracket to hold the fire extinguisher is secured the same way.

Moab

I agree about cargo vans. The difference is if you want 4x4 or not. Here in socal there is a place selling mid 2000s extended e350s 2wd for 9500 with around 110 miles on them. Gov vehicles with maintenance records. But if u move up to a used 4x4 it will cost you 30k plus. Even tho the 4x4 conversion is only about 15k. But u need a lift too.

I really like this kids van build. Seems the easest to get around in.

https://youtu.be/6jbd6_3JT_I
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

rlail

My humble CUCV was bought for $300 and fits all those needs well  She looked much worse when I purchased her.  I've put a foam mat and sleeping bags in the back several times.....I've been needing a good roof rack though.  I keep a chainsaw in it (usually) along with a billhook and shovel......really need something like a haligan tool, and an shovel/mattock combo though.   Saw a farrier set up with a swing out anvil, thought that might be a really cool addition
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk