Author Topic: An overlooked piece of kit - the Sterno Inferno  (Read 190 times)

Offline TACAIR

• Storyteller
  • Authorized Vendor
  • Raconteur of the frst stripe
  • Reactions:
An overlooked piece of kit - the Sterno Inferno
« on: June 25, 2021, 12:01:46 PM »
People might turn their nose up at anything marked as "Sterno'.

This is a shame, as this little cooker, with a minor modification is quite the piece of (car) kit.

First, the video that caught my attention

Mr. Cook has a massive number of alcohol related cook system tests, it makes for a fun channel to binge watch on a rainy day...  Boiling water in just a tad over 4 minutes is Jetnoil territory and a fraction of the cost. 

My own testing mirrors Mr. Cook's results.  So for summer, it keep the SI, Trangia burner and a bottle of HEET (yellow bottle) in a bag, in the back of Das Auto.  Just the thing for a fast brew when traffic is stalled and there is no real place to turn around///

Like this

after a bad accident, the traffic can be tied up for one to several hours.  Always my plan to pull off to the side and have a cuppa and a biscuit.  Helps pass the time...

In winter, the Svea 123 is sitting in the back.  Fuel sits in a small MSR bottle.

I'd much rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist....

My fiction work is fond here:
https://www.amazon.com/D-K-Richardson/e/B005JT4QP2/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Online Blast

• Medicine Man
  • Authorized Vendor
  • aka Merriwether
  • Reactions:
Re: An overlooked piece of kit - the Sterno Inferno
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 09:45:38 AM »
Whoa, I've never seen the Sterno Inferno! *gets glares from pile of other camp cookware*
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
Ham Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Offline sheddi

• Global Moderator
  • It’s such a fine line between stupid and clever.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 11:39:58 AM »
I agree with Blast, I've never seen one of those before, thank you!

I see they're $32 on amazon.com which seems a pretty good price. Unfortunately they're £46 (about $64) on amazon.co.uk which is well into Jetboil-clone territory. (I've got a Fire Maple FMS-X1, I'll put a post on here about it eventually.)

Sorry for getting off the topic of the Sterno Inferno! Maybe we need a thread for Jetboils and copies?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 01:17:34 AM by sheddi »

Offline Nyte

• I am the Nyte
  • Much like a panda
  • Reactions:
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 05:27:21 PM »

Also, sorry for getting off the topic of the Sterno Inferno! Maybe we need a thread for Jetboils and copies?

Sounds like a great idea.

Offline boskone

• Chief Tribble
  • Administrator
  • Reactions:
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 05:30:55 PM »

Also, sorry for getting off the topic of the Sterno Inferno! Maybe we need a thread for Jetboils and copies?

Sounds like a great idea.
Done.

Offline Ever (Zombiepreparation)

• Reactions:
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 12:00:19 AM »
  :tickedoff: They are out of stock right now, which I learned trying to purchase one a couple of days ago at their site or through Amazon.

-- Nothing hurts like feeling you're safe, and then, having someone with power over you take it away.

• Reactions:
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 02:33:49 PM »

I see they're $32 on amazon.com which seems a pretty good price. Unfortunately they're £46 (about $64) on amazon.co.uk

Think I finally snagged one. Should arrive tomorrow. Will believe it when I see it though because it's been an illusive little purchase.
Sterno Inferno site: $29.99 Out of stock
Amazon here: $32.94 Out of stock
ebay: $80something Not interested

Kept cruising for sight of one since this thread dropped June 25th. Friday I went through the rounds again and found just 1 in stock Amazon. $39.94.  Ordered without confidence of getting it.

Kept watching tracking. No movement until an hour ago. Now 'says' it's shipped and I get it tomorrow.

Here's the interesting thing though, also as of an hour ago, Amazon is listing the Inferno as if it has a good supply of them, and they're now $46.94.

-- Nothing hurts like feeling you're safe, and then, having someone with power over you take it away.

• Reactions:
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 12:16:40 AM »
It arrived today.  :smiley_clap:

It didn't come with sterno. The instructions said (just like this->) ONLY (<-) use with 7oz can of sterno. The box it came in says "Use sterno 7 ounce cooking fuel for best results". I called my walking distance Ace Hardware to see if they had 7 ounce cans. Nope.

I have 5.99 ounce can so googled if that size was okay or just a recommendation. No joy finding anything definitive. I did find one non-youtube reviewer who used the 5.99 size.

Cleaned the pot, filled it with water to the 8oz mark, covered it with foil instead of the plastic lid, dropped in my 5.99 oz sterno, and lit the fire. Water boiled at 7.57 mins.

Poured water out, cooled the pot, filled to 16oz mark, foil covering, and started again. Water boiled at 14.12 mins.

Can I presume that in the cold it would take longer?

Then poured out 8oz of the boiling water and put it back on to boil. It's a given it will cook ramen so instead I added half a cup of shell pasta. Cooked just fine, so I added defrosted scrambled eggs. (I keep a stock of them frozen) Then I added some canned green beans and dehydrated onions.

Then various spices.

When everything was have-to-blow-on-to-eat hot I snuffed the sterno, removed the pot, (handle stays cool) added olive oil... and fell in love with this little cooker.

Then I made rice. I boil rice anyway and pour off excess water when done. (normally 10-12 minutes) So I gave that a try using 1/3 cup rice in 12 ozs of water. 21.25 mins for a big helping of rice. (if I have the fuel to spare of course) I added Braggs Liquid Aminos seasoning, jalapeno hot sauce, and cashews.

The options for hot water based disaster 'hot' meals using canned and dehydrated, some fresh, preps seem limited only by what I have, probable exceptions being dried beans, raw meat, stuff like that.

My questions are:
- Is it safe to use the 5.99oz sterno instead of the 7oz? The smaller one locks into place, no scooting of off center seating.

- Is it safe for the stove to cook these simple watery foods?

- Does the sterno can have to be cool before I fit the lid back on?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 12:25:04 AM by Ever (Zombiepreparation) »

Offline sheddi

• Global Moderator
  • It’s such a fine line between stupid and clever.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 03:16:09 PM »
It arrived today.  :smiley_clap:

Yay!

Cleaned the pot, filled it with water to the 8oz mark, covered it with foil instead of the plastic lid, dropped in my 5.99 oz sterno, and lit the fire. Water boiled at 7.57 mins.
Poured water out, cooled the pot, filled to 16oz mark, foil covering, and started again. Water boiled at 14.12 mins.
Can I presume that in the cold it would take longer?

Well it's no speedster but it gets there, that's the important thing. And it's faster than hexamine, and fast enough that you won't get too bored waiting.

Yes, it will be a bit slower if it's colder (not least because the water will be colder to begin with) but if you're using it in an apartment all the heat will help keep you warm.

It will also be slower outdoors and slower again if there's any breeze.

Then poured out 8oz of the boiling water and put it back on to boil. It's a given it will cook ramen so instead I added half a cup of shell pasta. Cooked just fine, so I added defrosted scrambled eggs. (I keep a stock of them frozen) Then I added some canned green beans and dehydrated onions. Then various spices.
When everything was have-to-blow-on-to-eat hot I snuffed the sterno, removed the pot, (handle stays cool) added olive oil... and fell in love with this little cooker.

Then I made rice. I boil rice anyway and pour off excess water when done. (normally 10-12 minutes) So I gave that a try using 1/3 cup rice in 12 ozs of water. 21.25 mins for a big helping of rice. (if I have the fuel to spare of course) I added Braggs Liquid Aminos seasoning, jalapeno hot sauce, and cashews.

The options for hot water based disaster 'hot' meals using canned and dehydrated, some fresh, preps seem limited only by what I have, probable exceptions being dried beans, raw meat, stuff like that.

Your recipes all sound delicious!

My questions are:
- Is it safe to use the 5.99oz sterno instead of the 7oz? The smaller one locks into place, no scooting of off center seating.

- Is it safe for the stove to cook these simple watery foods?

- Does the sterno can have to be cool before I fit the lid back on?

If the 5.99oz can locks into place, and it isn't any taller than a 7oz one, I think you'll be fine.

I think it should be safe cooking wet foods.

I don't have a lot of experience with gelled alcohol (it's not that common over here, outside of food service) but generally there's no problerm with putting a hot lid on a can, just don't burn yourself.

Offline Nyte

• I am the Nyte
  • Much like a panda
  • Reactions:
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 05:16:39 PM »
It looks like fuel can be had for about $3 a can for the ~6 oz can.  I wonder how many boils you can get out of one.  I say boils for ease of comparison to camp stove cannisters.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk