Author Topic: Just because it's outdated doesn't make it useless  (Read 244 times)

Offline NT2C

• Administrator
  • Reactions:
Just because it's outdated doesn't make it useless
« on: June 13, 2021, 08:49:08 PM »
One of the things I like to do is hang onto old cell phones when I get a new one.  Old cell phones are still pretty useful devices.  They're pocket-sized mini computers with mapping and GPS capability that can also store useful data in an easy to access way.  Sure, they may be several generations out of date and unable to update their OS and apps, but the apps that were on their when you retired them were still working and usable, just not the latest and greatest. And they can still call 911.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Online EBuff75

• No, I'm the other one.
  • Paid Member
  • I'm new (aren't we all?) and I have changed this.
  • Reactions:
Re: Just because it's outdated doesn't make it useless
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 09:55:46 PM »
It was a sad day for me when I checked the old Sanyo SCP-4500 in my BOB and found that it had expired and wouldn't revive.  I'd had that thing since 2001 and it hung in there until 2018.  The one I bought as a replacement (a Sanyo SCP-7050) is still out in my truck as an emergency phone. That one might outlive me, as it's nearly as indestructible as the venerable Nokia 3310! 

I'm in the market for a new smartphone now, as my current LG G4 is getting a bit long in the tooth. When I find something new, the LG will go into a drawer somewhere, just in case the newer phone dies/gets lost/stolen/becomes sentient and has to be put down.
Information - it’s all a battle for information. You have to know what’s happening if you’re going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

Offline NT2C

• Administrator
  • Reactions:
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 10:25:38 PM »
It was a sad day for me when I checked the old Sanyo SCP-4500 in my BOB and found that it had expired and wouldn't revive.  I'd had that thing since 2001 and it hung in there until 2018.  The one I bought as a replacement (a Sanyo SCP-7050) is still out in my truck as an emergency phone. That one might outlive me, as it's nearly as indestructible as the venerable Nokia 3310! 

I'm in the market for a new smartphone now, as my current LG G4 is getting a bit long in the tooth. When I find something new, the LG will go into a drawer somewhere, just in case the newer phone dies/gets lost/stolen/becomes sentient and has to be put down.
My pair of G7 ThinQs (mine and one for the wife) both expired at the same time from swollen batteries. We replaced hers with a Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G and mine with a OnePlus 9 Pro.  The OnePlus 9 Pro is freaking awesome.  About the only downside to it is a lack of an SD card slot, but with 256GB internal I'm not sweating that much.  3.3x optical and 30x digital zoom with Hasselblad software really makes the photo capabilities pop.  Nothing like 8K video recording at 30FPS, or 4K @60 FPS in 21:9 ratio.  :awesome:

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Online EBuff75

• No, I'm the other one.
  • Paid Member
  • Reactions:
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 10:46:18 PM »

My pair of G7 ThinQs (mine and one for the wife) both expired at the same time from swollen batteries. We replaced hers with a Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G and mine with a OnePlus 9 Pro.  The OnePlus 9 Pro is freaking awesome.  About the only downside to it is a lack of an SD card slot, but with 256GB internal I'm not sweating that much.  3.3x optical and 30x digital zoom with Hasselblad software really makes the photo capabilities pop.  Nothing like 8K video recording at 30FPS, or 4K @60 FPS in 21:9 ratio.  :awesome:

The Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G is right at the top of the list for me.  I'm hoping that they'll be part of the Amazon Prime Day sale and that I can get a good deal on one.  Because my current phone is so old, it doesn't qualify for any trade-in deals.  That leaves me having to pay full price on whatever I buy.   :-\
Information - it’s all a battle for information. You have to know what’s happening if you’re going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

Offline NT2C

• Administrator
  • Reactions:
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 11:14:09 PM »

The Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G is right at the top of the list for me.  I'm hoping that they'll be part of the Amazon Prime Day sale and that I can get a good deal on one.  Because my current phone is so old, it doesn't qualify for any trade-in deals.  That leaves me having to pay full price on whatever I buy.   :-\

If battery life is important to you then you'll like the 25W charging on that with the big 5,000Ah battery.  My wife reminds me though that we didn't get her the S21 Ultra, that was one of my "possibles" when we were shopping.  Hers is the A52.

Me, I'm loving the battery life on mine.  2 days and I'm at 65%, plug it into the 65W charger and in ten minutes I'm at 100%

Current Weather in My AO

Offline MacWa77ace

• Global Moderator
  • Putrescence and Liquification. SE Florida
  • Reactions:
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 10:25:24 AM »
Interesting on the cell phones, I never mentioned it before because I thought it was a niche prep [and maybe embarrassed] but I keep 2 HTC qwerty smartphones in my EDC work bag for the cameras, contact and info notes, micro SD storage, 911 etc.

I keep charging them, but leave them off. I've never really used them as a b/u for any emergency and am considering taking them out, the data storage is really only b/u to my laptop and tablet but that makes them 3rd and 4th redundancy so maybe they are useless and I'll lose the weight. But there is a prep plan attached to them so I don't know. I think charging them periodically keeps the batteries working better longer. These HTC's are really old but the batteries are OK.

Old wired earplugs as b/u to my wireless and wired apple ones, Every once in a while I'll forget my wired ones. And I get grief at work about using an MP3 player but I DON'T have a cell phone other than my burner. I have a b/u MP3 player and both are rechargeable and have FM radios.
Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Offline sheddi

• Global Moderator
  • It’s such a fine line between stupid and clever.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 05:18:10 AM »
My eldest managed to break* his Moto G6 Play this week and has fallen back on the Moto E3 he was using up to Christmas 2018. The broken phone has been mailed to Moto's UK service centre and we'll see what they have to say about it. The E3 is a bit clunky but has a removeable battery which is a definite advantage in my books.

My glovebox phone is a candybar Samsung GT-E1200i. I charge it every couple of months and keep a prepaid SIM in it. There's also a clamshell GT-E1150i in the house that I used to lend to my youngest when she was in the habit of wandering off in store during shopping trips; it was much easier and quicker to phone her than to search all the aisles in a supermarket.

Somewhere I've got a pair of HP iPaq 1710s that I probably should throw away but they're in good condition and it seems a dreadful shame to chuck them into a skip full of WEEE ...

* That's a bit harsh of me, really; it gets stuck at the Android bootloader screen. Unless he's been messing with Android builds I don't think I can hold him responsible.

Online EBuff75

• No, I'm the other one.
  • Paid Member
  • Reactions:
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 07:35:06 AM »
I ordered a new phone last night, so once it gets here and I've got it set up, I'll retire the old one and stick it in a drawer.  I'm already thinking of using the old LG as a mini-tablet and putting a bunch of survival .pdfs and such on it. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk