Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Books and eBooks / Re: Which Book?
« Last post by Blast on Today at 11:48:35 AM »
Don't bother with "The Knowledge: How to Rebuild Civilization in the Aftermath of a Cataclysm".
I bought it and was really disappointed. It doesn't actually give you the information you need. It just tells you to build a library showing how to actually do X, Y, & Z because that technology is really useful. Think of it as a starter document to guide your actual learning and future book purchases, not a source of information itself.

I don't know anything about the other three books. Two I found that are good for real-world urban/suburban survival are:
Tom Brown's Field Guide to City and Suburban Survival: https://amzn.to/3zCFmvc
When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need to Survive When Disaster Strikes: https://amzn.to/3eXPdUo
-Blast
Field Cooking and Hydration / The Houston Emergency Preparedness Cookbook
« Last post by Blast on Today at 11:35:59 AM »
This is a great pdf on ways to safely cook in an emergency and a bunch of cool recipes on what to make with the stuff you probably have in your pantry.

English Version: https://www.houstontx.gov/health/OSPHP/English_cookbook.pdf
Spanish Version: http://www.houstontx.gov/health/OSPHP/documents/houston-emergency-preparedness-cookbook-spanish.pdf

My favorite is how to make a "Jiffy-Pop" popcorn packet for on your grill.  :)
-Blast
Z for Zachariah was always one I liked that wasn't a zombie movie. The book is better, but the movie is good. It's about Nuclear-apocalypse survivor, Ann Burden, lives an quiet life on her family's valley farmstead, sheltered from radioactive contaminants by rocky hillsides, favorable weather patterns, and an abundant ground-fed water supply, until one day her life is upended by the arrival of an sick man...

The Road is another great one. Again, the book is much better, and way more messed up. It's about a man and his young son struggle to survive after an unspecified occurrence causes what resembles an extinction event. They scavenge for supplies and avoid roaming gangs as they travel on a road to the coast in the hope that it will be warmer. The movie is dark, dreary, and sad, but still one to be watched...
New Member Introductions / Re: Greetings from the Quiet Place...
« Last post by RoneKiln on Yesterday at 11:10:22 PM »
I'm glad you made it over! I hope you stick around and speak up a bit. Many of the regulars made it over, but many that weren't on the forum as regularly probably missed the memo.
Let There Be Light! / Re: The All Purpose Flashlight Thread
« Last post by RoneKiln on Yesterday at 11:06:03 PM »
I spent all day Friday and Saturday under my parents house replacing plumbing with a little petzel tikkina with the petzel rechargeable battery. It was perfect. Saturday was a long rough day. I'd estimate I had the lamp on medium power over 10 hours and it didn't dim or weaken at all.

I'd probably want something more powerful for search and rescue operations or searching my property after a bump in the night. For everything else though, that cheap little pretzel is my go-to.
New Member Introductions / Re: Greetings from the Quiet Place...
« Last post by EBuff75 on Yesterday at 11:04:38 PM »
Glad to see that the note I put over there was useful to someone!  Welcome to the forum, and try not to work up too much of a sweat while you're on the job!   :smiley_knipoog:
New Member Introductions / Greetings from the Quiet Place...
« Last post by Brekar on Yesterday at 10:57:49 PM »
Hello former Zombie Squad members. Once I heard of this website on the discord server I figured I'd drop on by see whats new. Learned a ton of information over the years, and am thrilled to see it continued over here. For those who don't remember me, I'm a long time lurker/poster on Zombie Squad. I'm a railroader, and spend a lot of time living out of a grip (backpack). Here's a quick picture of me hard at work...

Personal Electronics and Computers / Re: New storage Drive ?
« Last post by NT2C on Yesterday at 03:49:35 PM »
DSL modem-routers in the UK (even the really cheap ones like this Technicolor TG582n) almost all have a USB port where you can plug in a USB drive and the router will then make it available as a SMB network drive. Is this the case in the US too?

If so, can you put the drive in a USB enclosure and plug it into your router until you come up with a better plan?
Yes, most good routers in the US will have at least one USB port for this.  They're also capable of plugging in a USB printer and now having a network printer for the house. My current router has (IIRC) four USB 3.0 ports.  My NAS stations also have USB ports that can be used that way, or as a "quick dump" of the flash drive's contents.  Then again, my printer has a couple of ports that can be used either way.
Personal Electronics and Computers / Re: New storage Drive ?
« Last post by boskone on Yesterday at 02:14:23 PM »
Edit:  Ok,  Just read up on the DS118.  So it acts like a full on server with all the components needed.  Cpu/memory etc.  where the enclosure would just be a dumb drive...
Yup.  It's pretty light-weight, but as long as you don't throw everything and the kitchen sink at it they're pretty nice.

If you find the "server" aspects lacking, you can usually buy mid-spec'ed generation or two old servers on eBay for like $200.  They may not be enterprise-ready anymore, but more than adequate for home use; load up XCG-NG or some other hypervisor, load up Plex/PiHole/whatever as VMs.
Bugout Location Planning & Preps / Re: What did you do today to prepare?
« Last post by NT2C on Yesterday at 02:08:20 PM »
Bought one of these yesterday from the Amazon Treasure Truck for $75.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0843HYLK9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They had a limit of just one at that price.  Is it still hideously expensive per meal?  Yes.  But with a 30-year shelf life and a menu selection, we know that we enjoy it's an easy way to keep a few more days of food on hand, particularly food that could be quickly stuffed into a pack if we had to evac.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk