The All Purpose Flashlight CHAT Thread

Started by Raptor, June 09, 2021, 04:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NT2C

Quote from: Anianna on June 11, 2021, 06:39:17 PM
Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on June 11, 2021, 06:36:42 PM
Anianna, I frequent a lot of thrift stores in my area, so it'd be no problem for me to look for that light for you.

Folks in my area tend to toss their old lights into the donation bins whenever a new model comes out, so it's likely I might find another light like that at one of the thrift stores out here.

If I do find one, I'll let you know.  :)

Thanks for keeping an eye out for me!
Just make sure Handy Kid washes it well before sticking it in his mouth.  :o
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

Anianna

Quote from: NT2C on June 11, 2021, 06:54:50 PM
Anianna, I frequent a lot of thrift stores in my area, so it'd be no problem for me to look for that light for you.

Folks in my area tend to toss their old lights into the donation bins whenever a new model comes out, so it's likely I might find another light like that at one of the thrift stores out here.

I'd be hitting that thing with the aqueous ozone and the UV light before giving it to him!  😂
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

∩(=^_^=)

boskone

Quote from: Anianna on June 11, 2021, 07:01:47 PM
Quote from: NT2C on June 11, 2021, 06:54:50 PM

I'd be hitting that thing with the aqueous ozone and the UV light before giving it to him!  😂
From experience, he should also wrap the base in something softer than metal.  Or get a non-metal flashlight.  I have a pretty decent amount of wear on my incisors from doing things like that.

flybynight

Step right up to  Flybynights house of budget lights .  Only the winners  here at deep discount prices..

Literally have bought about a hundred of these in the last   six or seven years.  They are in the cars, different places on our property, Hand them out to friends and family.  Not the brightest, but not that bad at all

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FSGZN7K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We use  145000 batteries in them  . Makes them much brighter than AA , and of course rechargeable

Only been using this one for three months . Bought two for son and wife. So far so good ( hesitated to include this one since  has not been even a year of use )  Nice and bright, small , ramp brightness ( up and down ) with memory  to last setting when turning  on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZZ2YFKD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My go to EDC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0779M5VHJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love this light The first one I bought lasted one week before it  stopped working. Contacted the manufacturer , who contacted the seller who had a replacement in my hands in two days. Two years and never failed me. Bright , memory function for intensity . Wife started taking mine to use, so got her her own. She loves it too.

My two cents

"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

12_Gauge_Chimp

Coast makes a pretty decent polymer flashlight that might be a good alternative to the Coleman one Anianna posted.

It's got a steel (or aluminum, I'm not sure) core surrounded by a polymer shell. Walmart sells them in the Sporting Goods department and I think they're like 15 to 20 bucks. I'll have to check the next time I see one. I'll also have to see what the exact model name is too.

flybynight

Yea that reminded me.  Olight offered these for the price of shipping couple years ago.

https://www.olightstore.com/i3e-eos-black-test.html

Super small size that is amazing bright  Under ten bucks regular price

NapalmMan67

We've had a couple of these around the last few years.  Mostly use when fishing in Canada- as their boating regs require a watertight/floating flashlight when boating there.  Have been good performers for us.  Has an integrated carabineer clip in the tail so it can clip to a pack or fishing bag etc.

I also like them because they have the button on the side of the body, not in the tail.

https://www.dorcy.com/shop-now/flashlights/55-lumen-yellow-floating-flashlight

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

EBuff75

Quote from: flybynight on June 12, 2021, 03:59:56 PM
Yea that reminded me.  Olight offered these for the price of shipping couple years ago.

https://www.olightstore.com/i3e-eos-black-test.html

Super small size that is amazing bright  Under ten bucks regular price
I've got some lights like that (including that one from Olight), but I prefer switched lights rather than twisty.  I've lost too many parts of twisty lights over the years, going back to several of the old Maglite Solitaires.  I'll look at my keychain and realize that I only have half of the light, with the rest of it having gone AWOL, never to be seen again! (also had that happen recently with a peanut lighter. Grrr...)

A few years ago I bought a RovyVon Aurora A1 to try out.  I liked it and have picked up several more since then.  Today I ordered another one during the Amazon Prime Day sale, this time the updated A1x model:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0832Y18WH  Now I'll finally have one for each keychain.  They're about the size of an AA battery and use an internal, rechargeable battery.  Multiple modes, including momentary high, with high being 650 lumens!  They're great little lights, just don't put them in the washing machine (guess how I found that out! - although they did replace it for me under warranty).  I also have one of their models with the UV sidelight in it, which is sort of fun to play with! 
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

Raptor

These are on sale for $10.19. I purchased two of these and they are good buy for a bright flashlight @ this price.

They use 4 AA batteries so nothing exotic is needed battery wise. I use these with rechargeable batteries and it works well.

https://smile.amazon.com/High-Powered-Flashlight-RECHOO-Upgraded-Flashlights-Resistant-Flash/dp/B08BNNNP25/ref=pd_rhf_ee_s_rpt_comp_bia_alters_1/143-9969403-1154168?pd_rd_w=WocwM&pf_rd_p=cfafa29f-2d34-4feb-b297-fff281f16bdd&pf_rd_r=RGCE5Y45VHKYQX1YQA2S&pd_rd_r=a8446467-c989-496a-8205-424cd69243c8&pd_rd_wg=UU39l&pd_rd_i=B08BNNNP25&psc=1#customerReviews

The build quality is decent and the battery holder is not cheap thin plastic but seems durable. This not a Streamlight, Fenix or Maglight but for the price is a decent very bright light. 
Folks you are on your own...Plan and act accordingly!

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

EBuff75

Just bought another one of these Letour lights to use in a closet at my house.  Most of the battery-operated "closet lights" are cheap, dim crap from what I could tell, but I've had good luck with these in the past (I keep one in each of my vehicles).  No, it's not 4000 lumens like it says, probably more along the lines of 400-500, which is good enough for a closet the size of mine.  The closet is in the kneewall space on the 2nd floor and is about 5ft wide, 4ft high, and around 5ft deep at the farthest point (slanted ceiling, sloping toward the back).  The light comes with metal plates with glue backing and I'll put those on the wall just inside the door for it to stick to. I really wish that when the previous owner had remodeled the room that they'd just put a light or at least an outlet in there to begin with...

Let there be light!  :))
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074QLJMW6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

RoneKiln

I spent all day Friday and Saturday under my parents house replacing plumbing with a little petzel tikkina with the petzel rechargeable battery. It was perfect. Saturday was a long rough day. I'd estimate I had the lamp on medium power over 10 hours and it didn't dim or weaken at all.

I'd probably want something more powerful for search and rescue operations or searching my property after a bump in the night. For everything else though, that cheap little pretzel is my go-to.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

boskone

Olight's running a summer sale, for anyone looking for a light.

I think maybe they've got some sort of free keychain light for new accounts.

Mr. E. Monkey

I've been carrying one of these pretty regularly lately:  https://coastportland.com/products/g20

It's not incredibly bright, and it doesn't have amazing throw.  It's very handy, though, runs on two AAA batteries, and is just about perfect for little tasks like taking the dog out for a walk, finding my way around the house without turning on a light and waking everybody up, and other mundane stuff.

It's NOT a tactical light.
It's NOT a spotlight.
It's NOT the best light for a lot of things.  But it has been surprisingly decent.
Quote from: SMoAF'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Quote from: BeowolfDisasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
Quote from: wee drop o' bushTHE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS!  :lol:

boskone

That looks like a 2AAA version of my favorite light, a little 1AAA light.

Not everything needs to be a million candle-power light with 18 modes; just getting light is often enough.

Mr. E. Monkey

QuoteNot everything needs to be a million candle-power light with 18 modes; just getting light is often enough.

Sometimes it's nice to have a flashlight that is useful, but doesn't summon Batman.   :awesome:

boskone

It is a bit startling when you're trying to find which breaker to reset, and from over by the crepe myrtle suddenly hear a gravelly "You called?".

flybynight

Quote from: Mr. E. Monkey on July 27, 2021, 11:41:04 AM
QuoteNot everything needs to be a million candle-power light with 18 modes; just getting light is often enough.

Sometimes it's nice to have a flashlight that is useful, but doesn't summon Batman.   :awesome:

Just remember 8 out of 10 flashlight users , also need a utility belt.  :smiley_knipoog:

Raptor

Quote from: Mr. E. Monkey on July 27, 2021, 11:41:04 AM

My preference is for reliable light; I can at least use that to find a brighter light if I need one.
Folks you are on your own...Plan and act accordingly!

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

Mr. E. Monkey

Quote from: boskone on July 27, 2021, 11:48:36 AM
It is a bit startling when you're trying to find which breaker to reset, and from over by the crepe myrtle suddenly hear a gravelly "You called?".
:smiley_crocodile:

Quote from: flybynight on July 27, 2021, 01:05:55 PM
Just remember 8 out of 10 flashlight users , also need a utility belt.  :smiley_knipoog:
The other 2 just haven't come up with a good excuse to justify getting one yet.  :awesome:

Quote from: Raptor on July 27, 2021, 05:38:57 PM
My preference is for reliable light; I can at least use that to find a brighter light if I need one.
That's a really good point.  Lumens and candelas mean nothing if it won't turn on when you need it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk