Author Topic: Movies (other than zombie ones) to Consider for Survival Ideas  (Read 121 times)

Offline Lambykins

• Favorite Goat Wrangler
  • Possums always survive.
  • Reactions:
While I appreciate a good zombie movie as much as the next person, I also like watching movies that have other survival situations.
It is interesting to watch how various characters are written and how their slow or fast decisions impact on their survival (or not).

Recently just watched all of the Jurassic Park and Jurassic World movies.
While the science in all of them was not the best, the decisions made by the characters while under threat by large carnivorous (and mostly pissed off) animals had a direct impact on their survival and the survival of their companions.

Other movies that are interesting to watch with survival in mind:
How I Live Now (young adult movie about a neurotic American teenager caught in the UK when there is a nuclear attack, a military takeover of the UK and a civil war)

Tomorrow When the War Began (another YA movie, Australian teens fight back after an Asian (Chinese? North Korean?) invasion of their town)

A Cry In The Wild (based on the book Hatchet)

That's just a few.
What movies cause you to think about survival?
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

Offline 12_Gauge_Chimp

• Official Forum Trunk Monkey
  • Global Moderator
  • Who left my cage open ?
  • Reactions:
Re: Movies (other than zombie ones) to Consider for Survival Ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 08:44:03 PM »
I've never fully watched it, but the 1993 movie "Alive" (the one about the Uruguayan soccer team that crashed in the Andes mountains back in 1972) comes to mind when I think of survival movies.

Offline majorhavoc

• Global Moderator
  • Not all those who wander are lost
  • Reactions:
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 10:15:49 PM »
The Revenant.  This is how it starts and it goes downhill from there.  (NT2C: testing imbedded YT video functionality for you ...)
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOlVRHsVzE4[/youtube]
Give me a minute.  I'll think of something.

Offline Ever (Zombiepreparation)

• Reactions:
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 03:11:39 AM »
'The Martian'
While I did enjoy the movie, after rewatching maaanyy times I began to recognize that I was watching it for the mental survival aspect, especially in isolation.

This quote from it demonstrates what really hit home for me:
At some point, everything’s gonna go south on you… everything’s going to go south and you’re going to say, this is it. This is how I end. Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work. That’s all it is. You just begin. You do the math. You solve one problem… and you solve the next one… and then the next. And If you solve enough problems, you get to come home.

This movie was a big part of what positively impacted my preparation in late January  2020 for the coming pandemic. Then again in January 2021 when I hit an emotional wall of pandemic fatigue but still had to keep isolating.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 03:26:17 AM by Ever Zombiepreparation »
At some point, everything’s gonna go south on you… and you’re going to say, this is it. This is how I end. Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work. That’s all it is. You just begin. You solve one problem… and you solve the next one… and then the next. And If you solve enough problems, you get to come home.
--'The Martian'

Offline RoneKiln

• Perpetual Newbie
  • Paid Member
  • Reactions:
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 01:13:39 AM »
I've had several conversations with people lately about how important it is to contribute to a household, and how many different ways that can be done. I've seen and heard of a lot people that clearly don't understand the idea of pulling their weight even in good times.

The movie "The Intern" with Anne Hathaway and Robert Deniro doesn't have a single survival moment. Yet it has the best adult rolemodel I've seen on the screen in years that epitomizes to me what it is to contribute and make a difference in people's lives. I'm still struck by how rare those rolemodels are in our modern media.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Offline MPMalloy

• huh?
  • Reactions:
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 10:45:11 AM »
Excellent thread idea!

Tomorrow when the War Began is an *awesome* movie.  The other two look good also.  I can't think of anything to recommend right now.

• Reactions:
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 01:49:40 AM »
Contagion

I'm pretty sure I bought my copy in 2012, right after I checked it out from the library. Just months earlier I had joined ZS so I was in full swing learning to prep for disasters. I had also just finished a happily sleepless week devouring MJotZY in ZS fiction and noticed parallels with the movie in how a pandemic might spread as well as how general public, scientists, PTB might act/react/evolve during one.

Then how long it might take to get to the other side. Panic buying. Alternate attitudes towards it. Home decontamination station. Don't touch your face. Isolating and pandemic fatigue. Vaccine rollouts.

And like I mentioned above about The Martian, while I did enjoy the movie, after rewatching maaanyy times I began to recognize that I was watching it for personal education in detecting the early signs to prep and stay ahead of it, plus deal with the variables over the long haul.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 05:32:09 PM by Ever (Zombiepreparation) »
At some point, everything’s gonna go south on you… and you’re going to say, this is it. This is how I end. Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work. That’s all it is. You just begin. You solve one problem… and you solve the next one… and then the next. And If you solve enough problems, you get to come home.
--'The Martian'

Offline Lambykins

• Favorite Goat Wrangler
  • Possums always survive.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 07:32:45 AM »
Contagion

I'm pretty sure I bought my copy in 2012, right after I checked it out from the library. Just months earlier I had joined ZS so I was in full swing learning to prep for disasters. I had also just finished a happily sleepless week devouring MJotZY in ZS fiction and noticed parallels with the movie in how a pandemic might spread as well as how general public, scientists, PTB might act/react/evolve during one.

Then how long it might take to get to the other side. Panic buying. Alternate attitudes towards it. Home decontamination station. Don't touch you face. Isolating and pandemic fatigue. Vaccine rollouts.

And like I mentioned above about The Martian, while I did enjoy the movie, after rewatching maaanyy times I began to recognize that I was watching it for personal education in detecting the early signs to prep and stay ahead of it, plus deal with the variables over the long haul.
Contagion is excellent to get you thinking about preps!
I own a copy and have loaned it out to several friends who were absolutely startled by the concept (pre-covid) and after lockdowns commenced, many wanted to borrow it again ... just to remind themselves how bad things could get.
Another good pandemic one is Carriers. If you have not seen it, try to find it. Well worth a watch.
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

• Reactions:
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 05:46:50 PM »
Contagion is excellent to get you thinking about preps!
I own a copy and have loaned it out to several friends who were absolutely startled by the concept (pre-covid) and after lockdowns commenced, many wanted to borrow it again ... just to remind themselves how bad things could get.
Another good pandemic one is Carriers. If you have not seen it, try to find it. Well worth a watch.
Just checked for it and found it streaming on Amazon Prime.

So I'm cooking up a couple of bratwurst hotdogs with peppers & sauerkraut, heating up baked beans, open the corn chips... and give it a watch.

Dinner and a Movie.

thnx
--'The Martian'

Offline flybynight

• Hiding in plain sight. Level : MYTHICAL :
  • Reactions:
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 07:32:31 PM »
When reading  about survival , mindset quickly becomes apparent as the determining factor.

The Grey, 2011
In Alaska, a team of oil workers board a flight home; however, they cross a storm and the airplane crashes. Only seven workers survive in the wilderness and John Ottway, who is a huntsman that kills wolves to protect the workers, assumes leadership of the group. Shortly after they learn that they are surrounded by a pack of wolves and Ottway advises that they should seek protection in the woods. But while they walk through the heavy snow, they are chased and attacked by the carnivorous mammals.

127 hours , 2010    Not admitting defeat when literally  caught  between a rock and a hard place

Gravity  2013
  ( Mindset  and resourcefulness in the extreme. EPIC )

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. But some movie keeps tugging at my memory. If I can remember it I will add it

• Reactions:
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 10:52:50 PM »
I've had several conversations with people lately about how important it is to contribute to a household, and how many different ways that can be done. I've seen and heard of a lot people that clearly don't understand the idea of pulling their weight even in good times.

The movie "The Intern" with Anne Hathaway and Robert Deniro doesn't have a single survival moment. Yet it has the best adult rolemodel I've seen on the screen in years that epitomizes to me what it is to contribute and make a difference in people's lives. I'm still struck by how rare those rolemodels are in our modern media.
Found The Intern on YouTube.
--'The Martian'

• Reactions:
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 10:54:39 PM »
Excellent thread idea!

Tomorrow when the War Began is an *awesome* movie.  The other two look good also.  I can't think of anything to recommend right now.
Found Tomorrow when the War Began  on Amazon Prime.
--'The Martian'

• Reactions:
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 11:02:36 PM »
I've never fully watched it, but the 1993 movie "Alive" (the one about the Uruguayan soccer team that crashed in the Andes mountains back in 1972) comes to mind when I think of survival movies.
I found "Alive" on Hulu.
--'The Martian'

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk