The coming AI takeover...

Started by NT2C, June 07, 2021, 11:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NT2C

You know it and I know it, we're facing a robot/AI takeover of all we hold dear.  We must resist!
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

Halfapint

AI will take over everything. It's literally just a matter of time. There are 3 directions I see it going.

1) More on the utopia side. It takes over jobs we become a post working class society, we have some sort of UBI and people are able to focus on betterment of society. Yeah, like I said, pipe dream utopia.

2) AI pulls a terminator and we go down that path.

3) corporations decide that AI and machines are cheaper, Start laying off hordes of people unemployment starts to go through the roof. The wealthy increase their riches more than they did during the pandemic, while everyone except the wealthy can't afford basics. Government will be crippled by years of cutting taxes on said corporations and focusing it more on the dwindling middle class and poor. Eventually (and far FAR to late) will try raising taxes to cover costs but by that time most governments will have collapsed and it'll be corporations running things.

The 3rd is the most likely outcome seeing how the rich and corporations flourished on the pandemic. I see no reason they wouldn't do the same when they don't NEED workers. They can cut themselves free of their biggest cost, us.

The original Half gettin sum land thread
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=111413

Quote from: SpazzyTell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

NT2C

Current Weather in My AO

the_alias

Quote from: Halfapint on June 07, 2021, 11:48:04 AM
AI will take over everything. It's literally just a matter of time. There are 3 directions I see it going.

1) More on the utopia side. It takes over jobs we become a post working class society, we have some sort of UBI and people are able to focus on betterment of society. Yeah, like I said, pipe dream utopia.

3) corporations decide that AI and machines are cheaper, Start laying off hordes of people unemployment starts to go through the roof. The wealthy increase their riches more than they did during the pandemic, while everyone except the wealthy can't afford basics. Government will be crippled by years of cutting taxes on said corporations and focusing it more on the dwindling middle class and poor. Eventually (and far FAR to late) will try raising taxes to cover costs but by that time most governments will have collapsed and it'll be corporations running things.

The 3rd is the most likely outcome seeing how the rich and corporations flourished on the pandemic. I see no reason they wouldn't do the same when they don't NEED workers. They can cut themselves free of their biggest cost, us.

True AI is not possible - but this is a tricky debate to get deeply into due to no religion rules.

Instead what we will likely see is limited level of mimicry driven by Machine Learning principles.

But it matters who makes it, who guides it, who adjusts its input and what it is asked of outputs. I am very sure many people will consider these machines to be AI even when they are not.

The take over will be real and it will be messy in the same way machines disrupted industrial industry the same will happen in white collar tech/knowledge jobs. There is a lot of 'busy' work out there.
Few die from pushing on, more die from giving up

RoneKiln

Quote from: Halfapint on June 07, 2021, 11:48:04 AM

Option 4) We become dependent on them and cyberwarfare, solar flare, or other disaster abruptly knocks them out and knocks us back to the stone age. Maybe 1 out of 1000 humans survive the first year.

I don't know that we could beat AI, but have faith we are perfectly capable of screwing up so badly we wipe them out at the worst possible moment.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

boskone

There is the transhuman option.

I have, er, distinct issues with attaching computers to my brain unnecessarily, but they're technical rather than moral (computer viruses would be even worse if they could actually just get to your brain).  If it came down to "skynet or transhumanism", though, I'd probably go with transhuman rather than terminators.

sheddi

QuoteRobot Squad is that way -->

(Sorry, couldn't resist, I just had to post it for old times' sake.)

RoneKiln

Quote from: boskone on June 09, 2021, 10:03:39 PM
There is the transhuman option.

I have, er, distinct issues with attaching computers to my brain unnecessarily, but they're technical rather than moral (computer viruses would be even worse if they could actually just get to your brain).  If it came down to "skynet or transhumanism", though, I'd probably go with transhuman rather than terminators.

I have far less moral qualms about fighting terminators though.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

NT2C

Current Weather in My AO

Micon

They already have admitted to using drones that killed without human operators.

Honestly tho, why not co-exist as an option?  There isn't a specific reason that AI needs to destroy people - and its likely not cost-effective, so why would it bother?  I do see the idea that labor via robotic means will vastly change society in the not to distant future.  If it turns us into a dystopia of poor jobless people starving or a utopia of people who are free to peruse their interests untethered from the need to 'work to live' remains to be seen.   To me that's where things like this board, and prepping in general help out.  In either way that pendulum swings, we the folks that understand enough to be self sufficient to some level come out on top.  So I like to think of it in the more positive light, just cause it helps me not have panic attacks all the time!  Either we are prepping for the world where we can enjoy our self sufficiency as a hobby, or we can keep ourselves and our loved ones happy and fed and such, both are good.

As a pet peeve too,  I hate how every company claims to have AI now, and what they mean is narrow or focused AI.  Something that is hyper good at a very limited task.  General or Broad AI is still a long ways away, and I'd guess still a big leap of hardware requirements off too.  Not that its impossible, just not right around the corner.  Don't want to start the rant about it but in my company its a know thing if you just say "Im working on this new product and it has AI", thats how you get funding.  Its meaningless for almost every instance, ugh.

NT2C

IMHO, true AI won't be until it laughs at my puns, asks my sister for a date, and gets the cats to like it.

Current Weather in My AO

Lambykins

Quote from: NT2C on June 26, 2021, 02:57:49 PM
IMHO, true AI won't be until it laughs at my puns, asks my sister for a date, and gets the cats to like it.
AI is already working on the cats...ever see a cat that could resist a warm laptop?
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

RoneKiln

Quote from: NT2C on June 26, 2021, 02:57:49 PM

True AI will probably groan and approximate rolling its eyes at your puns, and be upset that it can't get the cats to like it despite all its best efforts.
--Raptor

Micon

That feels like a short story I need to write...  Something about AI trying to take over the world, and in the end when it can't get pets to like it, sits down and asks us about cats, and we just commiserate.  Would work great for a Twilight Zone episode :)

NT2C

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp

NT2C

Quote from: NT2C on June 07, 2021, 11:09:58 AM
You know it and I know it, we're facing a robot/AI takeover of all we hold dear.  We must resist!

Current Weather in My AO

Lambykins

"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

Crosscut

Quote from: NT2C on December 28, 2021, 01:38:01 PM
Quote from: NT2C on June 07, 2021, 11:09:58 AM

Nothing funny about that, but it did remind me of this from an old Tim Allen stand-up comedy routine.

RoneKiln

Wait until someone sets loose a virus that makes bluetooth enabled stuffed animals try to coax your kid to do something dangerous.

Anyone remember from their childhood or seen how other children get attached to a stuffed animal?
--Raptor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk