Author Topic: First Aid Kits  (Read 135 times)

Offline Lambykins

• Favorite Goat Wrangler
  • Possums always survive.
  • Reactions:
First Aid Kits
« on: June 06, 2021, 07:35:27 AM »
Talk to me about your first aid kits (FAKs)
Do you have multiple ones? Home, car, bug-out versions?
What do you put in each one?
What type of container/bag do you use?
Just a few band-aids, or a full blown could-equip-an-ER kit?
What do you deem absolutely necessary?
What do think is *overkill*?
Currently, I don't really have one....I have 2 bathroom shelves with bandages, antibiotic ointment, fungal cream & spray, general stuff like Epsom salts, alcohol, peroxide, etc.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 04:37:19 PM by Lambykins »
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

Offline SCBrian

• It's been Changed...
  • Reactions:
Re: First Aid Kits
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 04:27:43 PM »
I'm in an interesting position with FAK.   Personally, the highest certification I've had is Wilderness First aid, with so other specialized training mixed in.  The instructor has asked me to cert EMT test twice.   I've declined twice.  Wife made EMT last year.
At home, I have what most would consider normal first aid stuff, with some higher end stuff mixed in, CAT tourniquets, etc.   
A club I work with has actual paramedics and flight nurses, and have acquired a full paramedic type bag, including airway tools, etc (I nixed the o2 due to *reasons*).   With that bag,  Attached directly to that bag, is a standard first aid kit (a Boo-boo kit, if you will).  There are only a limited number of people who will use the full bag,  while the boo-boo kit is fully usable.   The reasoning is that the big bag needs to be available for *real* emergencies, and we don't want people digging into it for standard run of the mill things. 

BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

Offline Lambykins

• Favorite Goat Wrangler
  • Reactions:
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 04:45:25 PM »
A *boo-boo* kit is a good idea.
Having that to prevent people digging through a bona-fide first aid kit makes a lot of sense!
My current supplies include a lot of stuff for my feet. I had to battle a severe diabetic foot abscess during the winter and....it was rough.
It started with athletes foot and just got very damn bad very damn fast.
Now I keep on hand everything possible to prevent and treat foot fungal infections AND the bandages, etc. if it goes past that.
My foot is still not 100%, but it's at about 80-85% healed.
What kind of bags do you recommend for a more comprehensive first aid kit?
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

Offline SCBrian

• It's been Changed...
  • Reactions:
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 05:08:58 PM »
We went through gearbags.com but I know there was a vendor on the other board that offered pretty decent discounts.  I allowed the actual med people to pick it out (with a few veto's from me) so I can only *assume/hope* its quality at a good price... lol  I hope to never find out.
BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

Online NT2C

• Administrator
  • Reactions:
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 06:16:14 PM »
Our main kit in the house is based on a bag similar to this in bright red, called the Owie Bag

https://lapolicegear.com/rothco-2656-concealed-bag.html

Each vehicle has a pretty basic FAK with supplemental gauze pads, roller gauze, and band aids.  Not up to trauma kit standards by any means but adequate for life's usual bumps and bruises.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Offline Lambykins

• Favorite Goat Wrangler
  • Reactions:
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 05:53:31 AM »
Our main kit in the house is based on a bag similar to this in bright red, called the Owie Bag

Each vehicle has a pretty basic FAK with supplemental gauze pads, roller gauze, and band aids.  Not up to trauma kit standards by any means but adequate for life's usual bumps and bruises.
Thanks for sending me down that rabbit hole! :))
I found about a zillion bags and things I want to buy (but, alas, can't afford them all!)
But it is a hell of a starting point.
I think I'll find the bag that best suits my needs and then fill it myself. But I will probably get one of the bags I see on there, they look very sturdy.

Online NT2C

• Administrator
  • Reactions:
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 08:06:36 AM »

I found about a zillion bags and things I want to buy (but, alas, can't afford them all!)
I think I'll find the bag that best suits my needs and then fill it myself. But I will probably get one of the bags I see on there, they look very sturdy.

Rothco makes a pretty decent bag IMHO.  Fairly inexpensive and sturdy.  LAPG is a great site for gear and their own branded range bags are used as tool & spare parts bags in both of my vehicles.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Online sheddi

• Global Moderator
  • It’s such a fine line between stupid and clever.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 09:07:37 AM »
I should probably put a bit more effort into this but currently I've got a DIN 13164 kit in each vehicle and another one in the house. Not specifically this kit but it gives a run-down of the contents.

DIN 13164 is a German standard for vehicle first aid kits. There are certain European countries that require you to carry one, which means they are widely available here and relatively cheap.

There's also various bits and pieces of booboo kit around the house, and I've got a pocket kit in my work bag. (I must go through it and replace life-expired dressings.)

Offline Halfapint

• Paid Member
  • Here to help make another great community!
  • Reactions:
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 03:31:44 PM »
I should probably put a bit more effort into this but currently I've got a DIN 13164 kit in each vehicle and another one in the house. Not specifically this kit but it gives a run-down of the contents.

DIN 13164 is a German standard for vehicle first aid kits. There are certain European countries that require you to carry one, which means they are widely available here and relatively cheap.

There's also various bits and pieces of booboo kit around the house, and I've got a pocket kit in my work bag. (I must go through it and replace life-expired dressings.)

When I had my Audi I had no idea about this law. I pulled down the center console in the rear and there’s a full on trauma kit on there. The car when’s to the scrap yard so I kept the first aid kit, it’s now in my truck.
The original Half gettin sum land thread
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=111413

Quote from: Spazzy
Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Offline Crosscut

• Reactions:
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 01:57:45 PM »

Rothco makes a pretty decent bag IMHO.  Fairly inexpensive and sturdy.  LAPG is a great site for gear and their own branded range bags are used as tool & spare parts bags in both of my vehicles.

For the house FAK I'm currently using a sling bag but not entirely happy with it, too little space so everything gets packed in making it difficult to find anything no matter how I try to reorganize it.  It's mostly a boo-boo bag with some upgrades since we're about an hour away from the nearest hospital.  Tried to put a little thought into kid and canine injuries, so that influenced the choice for some of the items.

Our vehicle bags on top, one for each with (mostly) identical contents. Yes, those are repurposed shower accessory bags, they do fit under the truck seats nicely.  You can stop laughing now...  The boating/fishing bag on the bottom:

Another bag contains a BVM, set of nasal trumpets (28-36fr), jelly, pulse ox, BP cuff, stethoscope, and everything to start a saline IV.  EOTW stuff for my mostly untrained hands, or in the highly unlikely event that a severely injured person, a medical pro with no gear, and me with the bag find ourselves in close proximity.

I can put together a complete list if anyone is interested, but honestly I dislike long lists and usually only look for odd items or ones I've never heard of before in them.

Offline RoneKiln

• Perpetual Newbie
  • Paid Member
  • Reactions:
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 12:41:01 AM »
I think those are awesome bags Crosscut. They look perfect for how you're using them.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk