daily COVID sitrep where you are

Started by Ever (Zombiepreparation), June 07, 2021, 04:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Just 35 days ago here in my county things were looking good. Then the stats from three national 'gathering' holidays started rolling in.

With what I'm seeing in my densely populated apartment building, about 80+% of them and all but 100% of non-tenant guests, delivery people, building workers going in and out using zero contagion safety, I won't be surprised if another self-defense bug-in is in my near future while Delta rolls through here.

June 21, 2021
(14 day rolling average)
- ↗ Average daily case count. 1.57
- ↗ Average positive rate. .8%
- ↘ Current active cases. 46
- ↗ Current hospitalized. 2
- ↔ Total deceased 88
- ⬆ Incidence rate per 100,000. . . 18.29

Today-

Monday July 26, 2021
Kansas
my county

(14 day rolling average)
- ⬆⬆ Average daily case count. 15.0
- ↘ Average positive rate. 4.4%
- ⬆⬆⬆ Current active cases. 233
- ⬆ Current hospitalized. 9 (+3 since Friday)
- ↔ Total deceased 88
- ⬆⬆⬆ Incidence rate per 100,000. . . 174.58

Mr. E. Monkey

I'm reading 1,622 total cases in my county, with 549 active cases, 270 deaths, and 10,801 recovered.

We've had a few people across several different departments at work come down with it recently--I believe it is the delta variant--which is a bit concerning.  I got the Johnson&Johnson, but I know that there are quite a few people in the area that are still unvaccinated, but there are still a number of people that do wear masks in public, at least.  We have quite the mixed bag. :|
Quote from: SMoAF'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Quote from: BeowolfDisasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
Quote from: wee drop o' bushTHE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS!  :lol:

PistolPete

St Louis City and County announced Friday afternoon they were reinstating a mask mandate starting Monday.  Over the weekend 3 burgs inside St Louis county announced they would not comply.  Monday night I had a hockey game in St Louis County and there was a 0% mask compliance rate- not a single mask among the teams playing when I got there, either team that came for my game, staff, refs and observers.  That really surprised me. 

At work today inside city limits there was about a 50% compliance rate.  My office building did not have any signs posted like they did during the last mask mandate, but about half the people masked up in compliance with the city order.  After work there was a mask protest in the county, there was a petition to recall the county executive and around 250 people in attendance.  There is also a legal challenge by the county council, as they passed a law in June that stripped the county executive of the ability to renew a state of emergency, which granted him the ability to decree the mandate, without approval of the county council. 

Update- as I was writing this the county council overturned the mandate in St Louis county, but as far as I know the mandate inside city limits still stands.  It seems some of the people aren't having it again.  It's going to make for an interesting rest of the year in my area.
All you have to do is stab someone once, just a little bit, to forever change the dynamic of the relationship.

Mr. E. Monkey

Quote from: PistolPete on July 27, 2021, 09:55:31 PM
St Louis City and County announced Friday afternoon they were reinstating a mask mandate starting Monday.  Over the weekend 3 burgs inside St Louis county announced they would not comply.  Monday night I had a hockey game in St Louis County and there was a 0% mask compliance rate- not a single mask among the teams playing when I got there, either team that came for my game, staff, refs and observers.  That really surprised me. 

At work today inside city limits there was about a 50% compliance rate.  My office building did not have any signs posted like they did during the last mask mandate, but about half the people masked up in compliance with the city order.  After work there was a mask protest in the county, there was a petition to recall the county executive and around 250 people in attendance.  There is also a legal challenge by the county council, as they passed a law in June that stripped the county executive of the ability to renew a state of emergency, which granted him the ability to decree the mandate, without approval of the county council. 

Update- as I was writing this the county council overturned the mandate in St Louis county, but as far as I know the mandate inside city limits still stands.  It seems some of the people aren't having it again.  It's going to make for an interesting rest of the year in my area.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html

flybynight

Governor of Kansas orders all state employees to start wearing masks  indoors  and all visitors to state buildings starting Monday 08/02/21

Quote"Per my authority under the constitution, beginning Monday state employees regardless of their vaccination status will be required to wear a mask indoors at work if they can't socially distance."

People entering state buildings also will be required to mask up.

The governor urged county leaders to follow CDC's guidance as well.

https://www.wibw.com/2021/07/29/gov-kelly-urges-kansans-get-vaccinated-wear-masks-delta-variant-cases-rise/

"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Quote from: Mr. E. Monkey on July 28, 2021, 08:59:19 AM

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html

(love the gif)
A quote from your link:
People who are immunocompromised should be counseled about the potential for reduced immune responses to COVID-19 vaccines and to follow current prevention measures (including wearing a mask, staying 6 feet apart from others they don't live with, and avoiding crowds and poorly ventilated indoor spaces) regardless of their vaccination status to protect themselves against COVID-19 until advised otherwise by their healthcare provider.

Well, Shazbot! But it's not like this couldn't be foreseen or anything given the hearty resistance to contagion hygiene.

Did nobody watch the movie Contagion? 😷 😡 😄

Wednesday July 28, 2021
Kansas
my county

(14 day rolling average)
- ⬆⬆ Average daily case count. 17.0
- ⬆ Average positive rate. 5.0%
- ⬆⬆ Current active cases. 286
- ↘ Current hospitalized. 8
- ↔ Total deceased 88
- ⬆⬆⬆ Incidence rate per 100,000. . . 197.86

Had a dental appointment Tuesday. Dental Hygienist had just gotten off a family quarantine from being exposed on a vacation. However, and what I didn't say out loud, was that only one of the family could have gotten it, been asymptomatic and then one or more of the family, including her, could have caught it from them a few days into the quarantine, been asymptomatic but still shedding virus right now and giving it to me while she was working on my teeth.

Could I be having any more fun?!
😌

Mr. E. Monkey

Quote from: Ever (Zombiepreparation) on July 30, 2021, 05:04:56 AM
(love the gif)

It seemed appropriate.  I'm glad you enjoyed it too!  :greenguy:

QuoteA quote from your link:
People who are immunocompromised should be counseled about the potential for reduced immune responses to COVID-19 vaccines and to follow current prevention measures (including wearing a mask, staying 6 feet apart from others they don't live with, and avoiding crowds and poorly ventilated indoor spaces) regardless of their vaccination status to protect themselves against COVID-19 until advised otherwise by their healthcare provider.

Well, Shazbot! But it's not like this couldn't be foreseen or anything given the hearty resistance to contagion hygiene.

Did nobody watch the movie Contagion? 😷 😡 😄

As one of those immunocompromised people, myself, yeah, I'm loving it.  Got the J&J, been careful, but going backward like this, it almost starts to feel like wasted effort.  Or maybe a dress rehearsal.  Ah well.

QuoteBut it's not like this couldn't be foreseen or anything given the hearty resistance to contagion hygiene.

True.  :headbang:

QuoteHad a dental appointment Tuesday. Dental Hygienist had just gotten off a family quarantine from being exposed on a vacation. However, and what I didn't say out loud, was that only one of the family could have gotten it, been asymptomatic and then one or more of the family, including her, could have caught it from them a few days into the quarantine, been asymptomatic but still shedding virus right now and giving it to me while she was working on my teeth.

Could I be having any more fun?!
😌

Well, I guess they could have been pulling teeth...  :gonk:

Raptor

In my area thedelta (Indian) variant  is affecting a lot more people. The city of NOLA has gone to requiring masks in their buildings. The state also issued a mask mandate inside of their buildings.

I know several people who have recently contracted it despite being immunized. Only one is hospitalized though.

On Tuesday I woke with a cough and sore thought "shit!". I called in sick and called my MD (he works for Ochsner) and he said go to their urgent care clinic and get a COVID test. I assumed a fast in and out but once I checked in I was told it would be at least an hour (they were busy as hell) and to go wait in my car in the parking lot. As I was sitting in my car I searched the phrase COVID test and found a nearby CVS that offered an open slot in 15 minutes. I signed up for it, drove over there. They got me in and out in less than 5 minutes. It kinda makes sense who the wants potentially COVID positive people in their store walking around?

I drove back to the parking lot and within 30 minutes CVS called me with a negative test result. I have a cold and not COVID. I called  Ochsner and they said another hour and I said never mind and went home.

A couple points of learning for me by this.
Point #1
CVS has a very viable "quake in the shack" setup. I got both COVID vaccines at CVS. They seem to be efficient and fast. F! Ochsner unless it is heart attack serious.

If you are sick seek alternative provides like the CVS & Walgreens operations. They have nurse practitioners on site and can both prescribe RX and have them on site for pick up. One stop means less exposure to others.

Point #2
I caught a cold (big deal you say?); this is the first cold I have had since early 2019. I rarely get colds and I had none in 2020. I attribute this lack of colds in 2020 to the hygiene protocol I followed. Why is this significant? Because I F'ed up with my basic hygiene. I had slacked off on the hand washing and sanitizer use. I had shaken hands with a few people. I am not saying I am dirty, simply that the only way I could have caught the cold was to expose myself to someone with it. That could have been COVID and not a cold.

Start rant: :headbang:
IMO masks are not panaceas promised by the talking heads and will not provide significant protection for the wearers (unless they are fit tested, properly worn and removed, basic decontamination procedures followed and are at least N-95 or better). They are to protect those around you. They may reduce the output level of virus shedding by others in your direction (based upon many studies  I have read) but will not eliminate it. That said if you think your are ill either with a cold or whatever do wear a mask if you go out in public. Stay home if you are sick. It may and I repeat may be useful to someone else. However DO NOT count on a mask protecting you even if you follow OSHA standards for PPE usage.

The whole issue of masks and vaccines has become stupidly political.

Do you own diligence and research. Everyone is different and advice that makes sense for a healthy person may be different for an immunocompromised person of the same age and sex.

That and wash your hands with soap and water regularly, don't touch your face, eyes and nose and make sure to wash your hands before you eat. If you want to wear a mask do so. If you don't, then try to stay 6 feet away from others. If you are sick stay home.

Take your MD's advice about any vaccination or medication (Ignore the advice of the talking heads or politicians on TV whatever it may be they are all trying to sell you something).  If you do not like your MD's advice find another MD. 

End rant

Folks you are on your own...Plan and act accordingly!

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

flybynight

It suddenly occurred to me  :eek1: Zantra  :tickedoff: was right about the diseased people infecting you. Holy crap I better go get a ciener :panic: conversion

Raptor

Quote from: flybynight on July 31, 2021, 03:03:53 PM
It suddenly occurred to me  :eek1: Zantra  :tickedoff: was right about the diseased people infecting you. Holy crap I better go get a ciener :panic: conversion

It is too late for that. Sit back make sure your seat belt is fastened, tighten the chinstrap on your helmet and hold on. The ride is not over.

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

flybynight

Quote from: Raptor on July 31, 2021, 03:17:19 PM

It is too late for that. Sit back make sure your seat belt is fastened, tighten the chinstrap on your helmet and hold on. The ride is not over.

I NEED A SEAT BELT FOR MY EASY CHAIR ???? How did I allows myself to be so unprepared ????

Raptor

Quote from: flybynight on July 31, 2021, 05:08:15 PM

I NEED A SEAT BELT FOR MY EASY CHAIR ???? How did I allows myself to be so unprepared ????
Next thing you will tell me is that you do not have a helmet.

flybynight

Quote from: Raptor on July 31, 2021, 05:18:14 PM
Quote from: flybynight on July 31, 2021, 05:08:15 PM

Next thing you will tell me is that your do not have a helmet.

Ha I got  that. And I always will as long as the tin foil supply  holds out

Mr. E. Monkey

Quote from: Raptor on July 31, 2021, 11:44:00 AM
The whole issue of masks and vaccines has become stupidly political.

At the risk of getting political, it feels like things have gotten to a point where just about everything has become stupidly political.    :rolleyes1:

sheddi

Update from south central UK, Monday Aug 02, 2021.

Family:
Remarkably, still all well and COVID-free. Regular lateral flow tests continue, particualrly in light of the next paragraph. I continue to split my work between home and office (my employer is on no hurry to get us back together, and I'm wondering if this might persist now they've tried it successfully).

Mrs Sheddi had a stand at an art fair this past weekend; indoors with lots of unmasked people  :smiley_duh:  :panic:  but mostly over 40s so hopefully they're all vaccinated ...  the kids are both on holiday so I took out to the theatre on Saturday night. Before you think "superspreader event!" it was open-air and socially-distanced (I think I put more details in the Chat thread).

Local area:
The local case rate is 400 cases per 100k people, down 56% on the week (was 922 last week, almost 1% of the population!!). Locally 85% of eligible adults have had one dose of vaccine and 70% have had two doses. Mask wearing is now optional and fewer are wearing them than previously but still well over 50% indoors. Social distancing is relaxing too but it's still easy to remain spaced out if you wish to.

National:
The national case rate is 284 per 100k (down 27% on last week), there have been 6300 hospital patients admitted in the past week (up 15%) and 535 COVID-related deaths (up 20%). Vaccination numbers are tailing off; 89% of adults have now had at least one dose and 73% have had two.

I'm quite pleased that the reduction in restrictions hasn't seen a huge surge. The available stats seem to suggest that the schools being out for the summer has someting to do with this;anyone who has ever met (or been) a child will know they're filthy creatures at the best of time. It's also noticeable that a lot of people are continuing to practice COVID hygeine even though there's no longer a legal requirement to do so. It will be interesting to see how this persists over the summer and into autumn.

flybynight

Effective Monday, Aug. 2, Kansas State University will require that everyone must wear masks while indoors on university property, unless alone in their own private offices or workspaces.

New guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that fully vaccinated people now wear a mask in public indoor settings in areas of substantial or high transmission. CDC also recommends universal indoor masking for all teachers, staff, students and visitors to schools, regardless of vaccination status.

All three university campuses fall within counties considered to have substantial or high transmission. Gov. Laura Kelly issued a mask requirement for state employees and visitors to state buildings in more than 80 counties meeting the criteria.

These changes are a result of the rapid rise in cases due to the delta variant, which is much more transmissible than previous strains of the COVID-19 virus. The best defense against this virus remains getting vaccinated. If you wish to get vaccinated please contact Lafene Health Center, your local health department, or your private physician. Vaccines are free and have been proven safe after millions of inoculations.

As the situation continues to evolve rapidly, please refer to the university COVID-19 website for the latest guidance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - The Kroger Grocery Company, which owns all Dillons grocery stores, is now strongly recommending that customers and employees wear masks while in their stores regardless of vaccination status. This statement comes after the massive increase in Delta variant COVID-19 cases within the past few months.

Kroger released a statement regarding the rise of COVID-19 Delta cases in the U.S. and their compliance with the CDC's current guidelines.

Based on the CDC's science-based guidance and our associates' input, we are updating our mask policy in a way that balances our values of safety and respect. Our current mask guidance requires unvaccinated associates to wear masks and requests that unvaccinated customers wear masks in our stores and facilities. In light of the Delta variant and updated CDC recommendations, we strongly encourage all individuals, including those vaccinated, to wear a mask when in our stores and facilities.

The Kroger Family of Companies
In the same statement, Kroger encouraged associates to get vaccinated and said it is offering $100 to those who get the shots.

RoneKiln

While the show I link to below is very often political, I don't think this particular clip on the delta variant is political. It talks about how a lot of MSM outlets are taking stats out of context to sensationalize things. That is not to imply the delta variant is not a very real concern. But the vaccine is far more effective than many people know or are portraying.

https://youtu.be/YJD23UXrSJs

I found it both reassuring and depressing.

I've also heard there is very strong evidence many of our already widely available antiviral medications have proven very effective against this disease. I am open to the possibility I've been listening to the wrong people, but several of my family members have studied under or worked with one of the fellows that talks about this on JRE podcast #1671 so I'm inclined to have faith in their due diligence. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with a medical background on this issue. Or even just a podcast with reputable, competent sounding people providing either support or a counter argument. Anyone with fears of catching this may want to do some research in advance on possible treatments to be able to discuss with your doctor.

We may still have some rough periods ahead, but I don't think it's as scary (on a society wide level) as many talking heads are claiming.

Many individuals may have very good cause to be extremely concerned. I don't want to downplay the very real suffering and fear of those that are immune compromised, develop an autoimmunity issue in response to COVID, or have a loved one that is an unlucky enough to have a severe reaction to COVID.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

PistolPete

Drama in St Louis county continues- last week the city council overturned the county administrators mask mandate, and the administrator said it didn't count and his order stood.  This week a court decided that the vote did count, so the indoor mask mandate is dead.  The largest grocery chain looks to be maintaining their policy of asking people to mask up, but from what I've heard they are getting about 70% compliance and no employees are getting involved if people don't mask up.

St Louis city maintains it's mask mandate for indoor spaces and from what I've seen during days working downtown there is about 80% compliance.  Several restaurants don't have posted signs or masked employees, but most places do.

Anecdotally, my favorite goth / karaoke bar now requires a mask and proof of vaccination to enter.  On the other end of town, the largest concert venue in the area hosted the Foo Fighters last night and by my count masks were worn by 3-4% of the sold out crowd.  At least in my area there seems to be a stratification happening among people and businesses, where some cater to people who support masking up and some that cater to people who don't.  It will be interesting to see how it goes this fall.
All you have to do is stab someone once, just a little bit, to forever change the dynamic of the relationship.

Raptor

Quote from: RoneKiln on August 02, 2021, 09:31:31 PM
While the show I link to below is very often political, I don't think this particular clip on the delta variant is political. It talks about how a lot of MSM outlets are taking stats out of context to sensationalize things. That is not to imply the delta variant is not a very real concern. But the vaccine is far more effective than many people know or are portraying.

https://youtu.be/YJD23UXrSJs

I found it both reassuring and depressing.

I've also heard there is very strong evidence many of our already widely available antiviral medications have proven very effective against this disease. I am open to the possibility I've been listening to the wrong people, but several of my family members have studied under or worked with one of the fellows that talks about this on JRE podcast #1671 so I'm inclined to have faith in their due diligence. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with a medical background on this issue. Or even just a podcast with reputable, competent sounding people providing either support or a counter argument. Anyone with fears of catching this may want to do some research in advance on possible treatments to be able to discuss with your doctor.

We may still have some rough periods ahead, but I don't think it's as scary (on a society wide level) as many talking heads are claiming.

Many individuals may have very good cause to be extremely concerned. I don't want to downplay the very real suffering and fear of those that are immune compromised, develop an autoimmunity issue in response to COVID, or have a loved one that is an unlucky enough to have a severe reaction to COVID.

This is a good way to post a link to a site with political discussions.  We do not allow politics to be discussed but a link with warning about political content is OK . That and opinions and suggestions are ok so long as they are not political. Note any opinions may be challenged and that is OK too as long as the challenge presents contrary facts to support it and is not abusive.

End Raptor mod
Begin Raptor member opinion:
QuoteMSM outlets are taking stats out of context to sensationalize things
This has been going on for a very long time not just COVID related. It has been said many times that fear and violence sells clicks/ads.

You should assume anytime a talking head is talking that your are not getting all of the facts. In the rare case of facts being used they will be used in a biased manner to support fear/violence or even laundry soap sales that supports the bias of the speaker's commercial group. 

PistolPete

Quote from: Raptor on August 04, 2021, 10:17:55 AM
This has been going on for a very long time not just COVID related. It has been said many times that fear and violence sells clicks/ads.

You should assume anytime a talking head is talking that your are not getting all of the facts. In the rare case of facts being used they will be used in a biased manner to support fear/violence or even laundry soap sales that supports the bias of the speaker's commercial group.
Yeah, panic sells for sure.  I noticed it has been ramped up for covid.  I noticed my local news always carries one of three headlines.
If the numbers are up from yesterday, that's what they run with.
If the daily numbers are down but the 3 day or 7 day numbers are up, that's the top story.
If both the daily numbers and the running average numbers are down, they run a story of a pleading parent.  Last week it was "Mother urges everyone to get the vaccine after daughter dies of covid".  When you look at the story, the daughter was a 42 year old morbidly obese woman, a category well known to be at high risk for covid and many other maladies.  The headline makes one think it was a child, which carries more scary points.  People who watch the news every day have to be in constant fear, which is a stressor that ironically puts them more at risk for getting sick.  It's a real bummer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk