Elon Musk's new house

Started by flybynight, July 05, 2021, 07:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flybynight

"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

TACAIR

Las Vegas is a flag for me.   Good luck, this may turn out to be a thing
I'd much rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist....

My fiction work is found here:
https://www.amazon.com/D-K-Richardson/e/B005JT4QP2/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

sheddi

Prefabricated buildings have been around for a long time; see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefabs_in_the_United_Kingdom for examples from the 1940s and 50s.

Quoting from the Wikipedia page:
QuoteThe AIROH (Aircraft Industries Research Organisation on Housing) house was a 675-square-foot (62.7 m2), ten tonne all-aluminium bungalow assembled from four sections, each to be delivered to the site on a lorry, fully furnished right down to the curtains. The proposed rate of production of complete houses was to be an incredible one every twelve minutes.

I wonder if they will be able to establish a market before they run out of VC money?

Blast

I want one. The double-stack looks pretty cool...but the one thing that concerns me is the flat roof. My experiences with flat roofs have always been bad due to accumulation of rain and snow.
-Blast
My book*: Outdoor Adventures Guide - Foraging
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Lambykins

I could live in one of those. Kinda cute.
Wasn't there one put out that was off-grid and fully self sustainable? Made it's own power, water catchment system, compost toilet. I swear I saw a video for it... Was touted as a cheap, fast, sensible way to get emergency housing in disaster areas?
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

Lambykins

Quote from: sheddi on July 06, 2021, 01:23:02 AM
Prefabricated buildings have been around for a long time; see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefabs_in_the_United_Kingdom for examples from the 1940s and 50s.

Quoting from the Wikipedia page:
QuoteThe AIROH (Aircraft Industries Research Organisation on Housing) house was a 675-square-foot (62.7 m2), ten tonne all-aluminium bungalow assembled from four sections, each to be delivered to the site on a lorry, fully furnished right down to the curtains. The proposed rate of production of complete houses was to be an incredible one every twelve minutes.

I wonder if they will be able to establish a market before they run out of VC money?
That was a great read!
I actually didn't know a thing about the housing issues in post war UK and now I am happily scampering down that rabbit hole for the afternoon. (It's my day off work)
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

NapalmMan67

Interesting. So a smaller scale manufactured home, lego style.  Wonder what the structural integrity will be in wind/rain/snow/earth quakes  etc...  FWIW, my house was "built" in 1967 and is manufactured.  It was built in two halves and bolted together on site.

Also "We think.."  and "Probably" and "If we pull this off..." in their vid here.  BUT HEY, since the government is on board, what could go wrong!?   :clownshoes:

I wish them luck.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

NapalmMan67

Quote from: Lambykins on July 06, 2021, 01:11:23 PM
Wasn't there one put out that was off-grid and fully self sustainable? Made it's own power, water catchment system, compost toilet. I swear I saw a video for it... Was touted as a cheap, fast, sensible way to get emergency housing in disaster areas? 

I was thinking of these when I watched the video.     https://elemental.green/pop-up-house-the-affordable-passive-house/

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

Lambykins

Quote from: NapalmMan67 on July 06, 2021, 02:39:48 PM
Quote from: Lambykins on July 06, 2021, 01:11:23 PM

I was thinking of these when I watched the video.     https://elemental.green/pop-up-house-the-affordable-passive-house/

That's neat! Still, not the one I saw...gonna dig and see if I can find the one I am talking about.

TACAIR

The house in the OP -(boxabl) is California code-compliant.  It is aimed at the so-called "Granny flat" market in Cali - given the expense of housing now...   These would be dropped in a back yard, set up, attached to utilizes and be ready to go.  The 'factory' is in Las Vegas to avoid the horror of California taxes and still be close to market via the Interstate.

Anchorage just passed  new zoning to allow much the same here - aimed at 'back yard' housing.  Oddly, a formal kitchen is not allowed -once the inspector leaves, that could change.

Here, the thought was a home owner might rent their main house and live in the granny flat - as many older Alaskans are snow birds and would only occupy the flat in the summer months.

superduder

Stuff like this makes me wonder why places like E. F. Hodgson went out of business.
They mass produced (assembly line style) homes and camp houses that could be ordered through a catalog according to floor plan,
And assembled in a couple hours once they arrived at the site using a regular box truck or flatbed.

Prefab sections, even a 10x10 palletized shed with a modified end wall so another could be easily attached would be awesome,
But the only way one can get one now is if it's made of recycles milk jugs,
which wouldn't (imo) really work to convert into a cabin, or "tiny home".

Hodgson Camp Houses Brochure on Internet Archive
https://archive.org/details/HodgsonCampHouses
"I get it, I get it... But it's Still a pain in the ass."
Shawn Kelly

Anianna

You used to be able to purchase residential homes called kit homes from the Sears catalog, as well.  Kit homes actually seem to be making a comeback and there are several companies selling various models.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

∩(=^_^=)

EBuff75

Quote from: Anianna on April 01, 2022, 02:40:36 PM
You used to be able to purchase residential homes called kit homes from the Sears catalog, as well.  Kit homes actually seem to be making a comeback and there are several companies selling various models.

I have friends who live in a Sears catalog house and I remember looking at one when I was house-hunting years ago as well.

My parents built their house from a kit back in the late 70s.  The kit included everything needed for the construction of the house, but it was still stick-built.  You got xx number of 2x4s, yy number of 2x6s, zz number of step risers, etc, etc.  They paid the company to put up the shell (once the foundation had been put in), but they did the rest of the work with help from family, friends, and neighbors.  The kit included all the bath fixtures, windows, countertops, cabinets, mechanical systems, and even rolls of carpet.  In theory, once the house was built you just had to add your appliances and paint!

One indelible memory of my childhood is living in an unfinished house all the way until high school, since it took my parents about 15 years to actually finish it!  For years we had porcelain light sockets dangling from wires, rooms with no trim, ducts with no grating, and switches/outlets without cover plates.  Heck, we didn't even have carpet in half the house for years, just raw particleboard!

As an added bonus, because the kit was purchased in the 70s, we had ALL the 70s colors!  Olive green bathroom fixtures?  Check!  Orange kitchen countertops?  You bet!  Different, bright colored carpet / flooring in every room?  Absolutely!  You've got your orange/yellow striped in dining room, lime green in the den, royal blue (with gold accent) sculptured in my room, brown/tan striped in my brother's room, forest green sculptured in the living room, plus the gold/brown/orange linoleum all down the hallway / bath / laundry rooms, and dark brown/tan linoleum in the upstairs bath (with accompanying dark brown paneling).  Don't forget to toss in the faux-walnut paneling for the entire den, along with a dark brown wagon wheel ceiling light.  Surprisingly, there wasn't any shag carpet anywhere in the house, which must've been an oversight by the company. 

When I was in high school, my parents finally decided the carpet was all hideous (yay!) and had it replaced with a much more subdued Berber throughout the house, except for the bathrooms and laundry.  Those rooms stayed the same until another remodel a few years ago when they moved out.

They never did use some parts of the kit - some of the carpeting, doors, and shutters were left over and sat in the garage for years.  Eventually my dad traded those to a carpenter who was doing some work on the house.  There was also quite a bit of leftover aluminum siding, which one of the neighbors took when my parents moved.  Probably for scrap value, rather than actual use. 

The kit was a bit half-assed, as the entire 2nd floor had no plans and it was up to my father how to divide it up into rooms.  Additionally, they'd somehow missed that the staircase came all the way down directly to the front door, such that the door couldn't even open (it would've hit the bottom stair after opening a few inches).  He had to add a 90 degree turn to the staircase in order to make room for the door to open.  He also added a closet (the plans didn't have one) by taking a bite out of the corner of the den which was on the other side of the wall from the entry.  Fortunately, he worked all this out ahead of time, so that when the company put up the shell of the house, he had them put in those fixes and add walls for the rooms on the 2nd floor.
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

TACAIR

Quote from: superduder on April 01, 2022, 01:36:40 PMStuff like this makes me wonder why places like E. F. Hodgson went out of business.
They mass produced (assembly line style) homes and camp houses that could be ordered through a catalog according to floor plan,
And assembled in a couple hours once they arrived at the site using a regular box truck or flatbed.

Prefab sections, even a 10x10 palletized shed with a modified end wall so another could be easily attached would be awesome,
But the only way one can get one now is if it's made of recycles milk jugs,
which wouldn't (imo) really work to convert into a cabin, or "tiny home".

Hodgson Camp Houses Brochure on Internet Archive
https://archive.org/details/HodgsonCampHouses

I blame developers, Unions and greedy politicals.   YMMV.

Did see this from overseas.
Card YouTube Reboot Chocolate 16x9 Video 15s

Hungry flew these in for the folk in HI dispossessed, the US couldn't handle it....  

Very much in the theme of the Boxibil.

Another 'folding' home:

PODX GO Build Folding Tiny Homes Using Modern Manufacturing Techniques | Liana Liang (youtube.com)

Even Oz has these as off-the-shelf homes.
STUNNING Granny Flat Installed With No Council Building Approval in NSW (youtube.com)

House Design Redefined: 7 Remarkable Folding Homes (youtube.com)
strange folding homes, most are just on paper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk