ALICE, the most versitile ruck there is?

Started by Ghost, March 30, 2022, 08:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost

Quote from: Moab on January 17, 2023, 07:22:23 PMGot pics of your final results? Still very interested in what you came up. A pricelist would be cool too. The advantage of your loadout is it might be slightly cheap.
No pics at the moment, but all packs are more or less done, a few bits of stitching here and there, but they are ready. So with that said, here is where I am with the price list:

• ALICE Pack medium and metal frame; lets say $75 as an average. I say this as I paid $50 for three of the packs with frames. Obviously they are more now, but if you are patient you can find them lower than going prices today.
  • MOLLE II straps- this is even better than the waist belt IMO. $20 on eBay.
  • MOLLE II waist band- makes the pack even better. $15 on eBay
  • Parachute buckles- this is a necessary evil as lets be honest the metal clasps/hardware sucks. After some misadventures of trying to buy in bulk online I just went with ordering them through Joann's Fabrics online. I got a good deal on some last fall, but lets go with the actual price: $5 each and you need 9 of them! so $45 for buckles total. NOTE: I didn't swap out the metal on the internal metal clasp on the upper pocket.
  • 1100 Paracord- $8 for 30 feet so divide it by 4 is $2. Used for the map cover opening; handy way to open as well as have some small sections of paracord.
  • Bank line for the eyelets on the back, had a big spool, so maybe $1.

Optional Extras:
  • M1967 Sleeping bag carriers got three for $20 and the other for $10 so $7.50 ea. I went this route as each has a rolled up (as in around the sleeping bag- a fairly sturdy mil-spec cammo tarp) inside the compression sacks. I cut 1150 paracord to make pre-made ropes for attaching to the ground stakes. Each pack has that as a tent along with a paracord for tying between trees. Where I am it's highly unlikely that one couldn't set it up that way. Not perfect but the ultimate goal here is to keep the compression sacks, but swap out the current sleeping backs with ultra light or Tac bivies. Oh I did swap out the metal hardware there too so it requires 2 more parachute buckles each.
  • Compression sack for the sleeping bag. As noted up thread I got some good ones off Amazon for $20 each.
  • Molle II mag pouches- got 5 for $20; so say $5 for each pack. On my pack which is more modified I'm carrying 2 pouches in total so I've got the ability for four extra mags on the bag. My chest rig (current has pouches for three) and I'm looking to see what I can carry on my mini 14 itself (so basically 8 total mags with one or two on the butt-stock and one in the rifle). For me this is more than enough as my doctrinal idea is avoiding firefights post SHTF at all costs. Now I realize there can never be "enough" ammo but there are limitations if for no other reason then what can be carried.

Total cost for each pack? $190.50

Next improvement: rigging the carrying of water in camel back setup; at the moment it still routed through the center exterior pouch. I still like the idea of it in the void space of the pack between the back but need to tinker a bit.

Lastly, I've found some decent rain covers on Amazon, going to order one and see how it goes.

Moab

Quote from: Ghost on January 24, 2023, 07:24:51 PM
Quote from: Moab on January 17, 2023, 07:22:23 PMGot pics of your final results? Still very interested in what you came up. A pricelist would be cool too. The advantage of your loadout is it might be slightly cheap.
No pics at the moment, but all packs are more or less done, a few bits of stitching here and there, but they are ready. So with that said, here is where I am with the price list:

• ALICE Pack medium and metal frame; lets say $75 as an average. I say this as I paid $50 for three of the packs with frames. Obviously they are more now, but if you are patient you can find them lower than going prices today.
  • MOLLE II straps- this is even better than the waist belt IMO. $20 on eBay.
  • MOLLE II waist band- makes the pack even better. $15 on eBay
  • Parachute buckles- this is a necessary evil as lets be honest the metal clasps/hardware sucks. After some misadventures of trying to by in bulk online I just went with ordering them through Joann's Fabrics online. I got a good deal on some last fall but lets go with the actual price: $5 each and you need 9 of them! so $40 for buckles total. NOTE: I didn't swap out the metal for the internal metal clasp on the upper pocket.
  • 1100 Paracord- $8 for 30 feet so divide it by 4 is $2. Used for the map cover opening; handy way to open as well as have some small sections of paracord.
  • Bank line for the eyelets on the back, had a big spool, so maybe $1.

Optional Extras:
  • M1967 Sleeping bag carriers got three for $20 and the other for $10 so $7.50 ea. I went this route as each has a rolled up (as in around the sleeping bag- a fairly sturdy mil-spec cammo tarp) inside the compression sacks. I cut 1150 paracord to make pre-made ropes for attaching to the ground stakes. Each pack has that as a tent along with a paracord for tying between trees. Where I am it's highly unlikely that one couldn't set it up that way. Not perfect but the ultimate goal here is to keep the compression sacks, but swap out the current sleeping backs with ultra light or Tac bivies. Oh I did swap out the metal hardware there too so it requires 2 more parachute buckles each.
  • Compression sack for the sleeping bag. As noted up thread I got some good ones off Amazon for $20 each.
  • Molle II mag pouches- got 5 for $20; so say $5 for each pack. On my pack which is more modified I'm carrying 2 pouches in total so I've got the ability for four extra mags on the bag. My chest rig (current has pouches for three) and I'm looking to see what I can carry on my mini 14 itself (so basically 8 total mags with one or two on the butt-stock and one in the rifle). For me this is more than enough as my doctrinal idea is avoiding firefights post SHTF at all costs. Now I realize there can never be "enough" ammo but there are limitations if for no other reason then what can be carried.

Total cost for each pack? $185.50

Next improvement: rigging the carrying of water in camel back setup; at the moment it still routed through the center exterior pouch. I still like the idea of it in the void space of the pack between the back but need to tinker a bit.

Lastly, I've found some decent rain covers on Amazon, going to order one and see how it goes.

Good deal man! 
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Ghost

Note: Corrected the cost upthread ^

Starting to reevaluate the load out and how it's packed (mine that is).

For water my thought is I'm going create a bag that will hold the water bladder in the voice space as discussed. I have someone who has a sewing machine and I have a lot of spare (smaller) parachute buckles. Should be easy to rig up if my searching for a camel pack solution proves fruitless.

MREs for all four packs have been field stripped, extras added etc. 

Lastly- waste not want not! All the stuff left over from the MREs? Lots of crackers, jelly and the like. Perfect for four GHB. Like I did with the MREs I'm adding energy bars and placing everything inside the MRE packaging (saved then all) labeling the contents within and taping them up the same way. 

Ghost

So one of those duh moments regarding water... carry the water bladder in the radio pouch. I thought someone had to have thought this out and sure enough posts pack to 2012 on various sites. So one problem solved.

Regarding the sleep system setup: I've been watching Gray Beard Green Beret's YT channel. Lots of good stuff. He rolls with the SF roll and a fairly expensive bivy. As the suggestions up thread and I think that is where I'm going with this. I can take the somewhat bulk sleeping bags I'm using now and instead of them in the compression sacks the woobie, bivy, shelter cover, stakes and paracord can all go in there and cut some weight. I've already lighted my load by the shovel going to someone elses pack; in place I'll be attaching my hultafors axe to the side.

Ghost

So even though I've largely "finished" the packs my thoughts are turning to the Molle  II frames. Obviously people have done this prior to me and I'm researching best path forward.

I can get four for $20 each, but want to make sure I get the right ones. From what I can tell they only come in one size as they are adjustable?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk