What did you do today for your bug out vehicle?

Started by NT2C, January 07, 2022, 05:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBuff75

Not really for my BOV, but for my daily driver. 

My car has been starting very slowly and I'd blamed it on the lack of use lately. To keep the battery charged, I've been putting it on battery charger/tender every time I park. But, each time I get home from running errands, the charger is showing that the battery is low, even after driving and even though it had been showing at/near full charge when I left home. Hmmm... It's a 3-year battery that I got from a Sears location which closed 4.5 years ago, so maybe it's time for a new one.

However, tonight when I put the clips on for the charger, I noticed that the battery cable was slightly loose. I investigated and found that it was SO loose that I could just lift it right off the post. Got out the wrench and really tightened it down. That could explain the issue - it hasn't actually been charging properly, even when the car is running! Fingers crossed that this fixes it and that the battery isn't irreparably damaged.

I do have a battery booster / jump pack that I carry, so I'm not likely to get stranded even if the battery runs down. In fact, this is something that I highly recommend that everyone has in their vehicle, even more so than jumper cables. With a battery booster, you don't need another vehicle to jump start yours, so you can "self-rescue" if you have a battery issue. You just connect it to your battery, hit the power button, and start your car like normal.

The boost pack in my car (a FlyHi N18 1200amp) has been discontinued, but the GooLoo GP4000 that I have in my truck is still around.  They both work great.  Hopefully I won't need to use either of them, at least not for myself, but I have used them several times for neighbors, people in parking lots, and people at the side of the road.
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

EBuff75

Realized yesterday that while I'm still within the mileage from my last oil change (only about 2k miles), I'm waaaaay past the time (16 months) and that I should probably have it done.  Went to the oil change place last night just before close and the crew was getting a bit loopy.  It was a fun time!  So that's done.

I'd already done my winter-prep packing this week.  I took the awning off for the winter, reinstalled the carpet remnant that I use when camping (in case I have to stay in the truck, it's one extra layer of insulation on the floor, plus it's very thick / plush), put the window insulation blocks in the cargo area, added a 0'F sleeping bag, boots, food, shovel, kitty litter (as a traction aid), and swapped in my winter mats. 

Today I had an appointment at the tire shop for a slow-leak in one of the tires.  I would've bet money that it was going to be a bad seal due to the corrosion on my rims, but nope, just a nail. 

Topped off the tank on the way home, so it should be all set if I need it.

For the time being, I'm keeping both vehicles on battery tenders, particularly with the extremely cold weather right now.  Over the last few years my annual miles driven has fallen off a cliff.  I think that between the two cars this year, I'll end up somewhere around 4000 miles total, and that includes 1500 miles worth of driving for my camping trip to the Upper Peninsula this fall!  As a result, the batteries are pretty badly abused from non-use.  It looks like the one in the car will need to be replaced.  Even with the tender, it's still sagging down to around 11.8v.  Fortunately, that's still enough to start the little engine (2.3L) in the car. 
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

NT2C

Yeah, that battery in the car is past its EoL and needs replacing.  It should be holding at least a full volt higher than that.  With that little charge on it it's getting down into the upper edge of "danger of freezing and cracking zone". It won't happen with temps above about -5 but it's flirting with the possibility.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C

Why is my spouse so dang oblivious to things on the dashboard of the car?  I notice when driving with her that she doesn't notice things like low fuel, headlights being off, speeding, etc.  It's as if she never looks at the dashboard.  Even important stuff like ALT and Oil Pressure gauges get ignored.

I just got into the Jeep a little while ago and immediately noticed the CEL is on.  Kinda hard to miss it, and it wasn't on this past Wednesday when I drove to/from my x-ray and CT scan appointment.  It didn't get driven Thursday, but Friday my wife had it out three times and never said a word about the light being on.  Checking the monitoring app I see it triggered Friday when she drove to get something notarized and faxed.

I'll have to find a new dealership to bring it to on Monday.  It has a lifetime warranty package on it from Jeep but the dealership we bought it from has made a lot of changes to their service department recently and the last time I was there a service writer I'd never met before tried to completely bullshit me and I called him out on it to his face.  A couple of my tech buddies there tell me techs are jumping ship there, the senior service writer left, and customers are leaving in droves.  I no longer trust that shop so it's time to find another that's not owned by the same family.
Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Rednex

My SO is the same NT  , lane and 1/2 back road going round a curve head looking out the side for deer way back in the pasture.

I checked and inflated tires to spec on both , checked fluids on both. Cleared a code on my truck after a new gas cap installed. 

EBuff75

My aunt was like this too.  She just drove her cars until they broke down and then had them fixed.  No preventative work, including a lot of regular maintenance.  The most bizarre was that she washed the cars so infrequently that I remember at least two where she had a dealer or tow truck driver punch out the trunk lock after it got so gummed up that it failed!  She didn't keep anything worth stealing in the trunk (and these were back in the day where back seats didn't fold down, so you couldn't get into the car) and she'd just use a screwdriver to reach in and pop the lock mechanism after the cylinder had been removed.

NT2C

Quote from: EBuff75 on January 07, 2023, 10:02:38 AMMy aunt was like this too.  She just drove her cars until they broke down and then had them fixed.  No preventative work, including a lot of regular maintenance.  The most bizarre was that she washed the cars so infrequently that I remember at least two where she had a dealer or tow truck driver punch out the trunk lock after it got so gummed up that it failed!  She didn't keep anything worth stealing in the trunk (and these were back in the day where back seats didn't fold down, so you couldn't get into the car) and she'd just use a screwdriver to reach in and pop the lock mechanism after the cylinder had been removed.
Oh, I've at least got mine to do regular maintenance but it wasn't pretty at first.  Her Dodge Dakota went from Blaine, Wa to Houston, TX, then to Lewiston, ID and then to D.C. over the space of two years, all without an oil change.  The stuff was almost lumpy when I first met her and started doing maint on the truck.  Took two engine flushes with a kerosene and oil mix to clean it all out, then oil changes every 2k for the next 5 years.  Now it gets one every 3k and when the timing chain and gears were changed it was almost spotless in there.  Hate to think what the inside of the pan must look like though.  Might stick a camera in there next oil change and take pictures.

Current Weather in My AO

Halfapint

Finally took the truck in to get some "warranty work" mind you I've had the truck since late 2017. And done nothing to it but regular MX, oil, tires, fluid checks, etc.

Well I get it in there and they quote me 4 hours to check out the issues. What were they? Well the batteries were good because I replaced them 6 months ago, but when I would get it the infotainment system would have a warning staying start car low battery. Checked tbe batteries and were perfect. Every time I would start the car it would tell me that a trailer was connected then once I hit the brakes it would turn off, then the infotainment system WHILE driving would give the warning when the car was off that the truck needs to be started... uh, I'm driving? Lastly the whole dashboard would shut turn off for half a second.

Obviously nothing I've done.

Get a call and they said they found the problems it took the techs about 10 hours to trouble shoot, and that they were ground wires coming loose or completely off behind panels. They said the battery terminals were corroded which is probably the cause if it all and the trailer plug harness needed to be replaced because it was corroded.

They wanted like $7200 to fix it all and that it wasn't covered by warranty because it's corrosion and "adjustments" I said ok I'll be fright down. The service manager was there and started to explain everything and I pulled my phone out with a picture of my terminals from the day I dropped the truck off. And said so first either you or the tech is lying. Because I knew that the batteries would be blamed because I did them. I popped the hood and said if corrosion was there the lead leads should have scratch marks. And they were still oxidized.

Anywho after arguing in front if a bunch if customers they they were lying and that ford must make such a poor product that grounds behind panels that I would have zero reason to access came loose or completely off. So they finally agreed to charge me the 4 hours quoted.

Oh and the part that they wanted to charge me 500 to replace on the trailer is completely sealed. How the hell did it get corroded?! I called my buddy who owns a body shop and he got the OEM ford part for 50 bucks. Bur it has to be spliced in. So I have to cut the waiting harness to replace it.

Not happy with ford and that dealer. Now to find someone that will honor the warranty.
The original Half gettin sum land thread
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=111413

Quote from: SpazzyTell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

majorhavoc

Maybe we should rename this to the "I need to rant about my bugout vehicle" thread.  :))
A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

Halfapint

Quote from: majorhavoc on January 07, 2023, 06:33:35 PMMaybe we should rename this to the "I need to rant about my bugout vehicle" thread.  :))

I mean it's true.
The original Half gettin sum land thread
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=111413

Quote from: SpazzyTell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Brekar

Well if any of your bugout vehicles are like mine, they are just old enough to work under most any conditions, while being just old enough to be cantankerous on a cold morning. I realized a few weeks back when Kansas City got some NASTY cold weather that got us seeing windchill around -25 and actual temperature around 5 or so for several days in a row that a battery's cold cranking amps are something very important when my S10 with a brand new cheap battery in it would barely crank over, even after being on a battery tender over night. That's what I get for buying a $40 battery. So now I have to upgrade to a much better, more expensive battery.

NT2C

Bought one of the cheapest OBDII/CAN scanners on Amazon (https://a.co/gzUBW27 $14.31 shipped) and checked codes on my Jeep.  This thing was so cheap my wife and I think it might be made in the Fischer-Price or Little Tykes factory.  It came with two sets of instructions, one English, the other...Russian.  Yeah, seriously, Russian.  It worked though and that's what matters.  As I suspected it was an evap leak, a very small one.  The most common cause of this is the fuel fill not sealing completely (either the cap not being tight or having a bad seal, or the closure mechanism on capless fills getting dirty).  Sure enough, the mechanism on our fill was not latching closed properly.  I opened and closed it a few times with the emergency fill funnel in the toolkit and got it to seal.  Then I cleared the code and ran the Jeep through a few cycles of start/run 5 mins/off/wait/repeat to see if the code was going to come back but it seems good now.  I'll grab some carb cleaner at the parts store this week and give it a good cleaning, then a very light spray in some key points with a pure silicone lube that will keep it moving freely without attracting dust/dirt.

Current Weather in My AO

Moab

Quote from: NT2C on January 07, 2023, 01:24:22 PM
Quote from: EBuff75 on January 07, 2023, 10:02:38 AMMy aunt was like this too.  She just drove her cars until they broke down and then had them fixed.  No preventative work, including a lot of regular maintenance.  The most bizarre was that she washed the cars so infrequently that I remember at least two where she had a dealer or tow truck driver punch out the trunk lock after it got so gummed up that it failed!  She didn't keep anything worth stealing in the trunk (and these were back in the day where back seats didn't fold down, so you couldn't get into the car) and she'd just use a screwdriver to reach in and pop the lock mechanism after the cylinder had been removed.
Oh, I've at least got mine to do regular maintenance but it wasn't pretty at first.  Her Dodge Dakota went from Blaine, Wa to Houston, TX, then to Lewiston, ID and then to D.C. over the space of two years, all without an oil change.  The stuff was almost lumpy when I first met her and started doing maint on the truck.  Took two engine flushes with a kerosene and oil mix to clean it all out, then oil changes every 2k for the next 5 years.  Now it gets one every 3k and when the timing chain and gears were changed it was almost spotless in there.  Hate to think what the inside of the pan must look like though.  Might stick a camera in there next oil change and take pictures.
When I was changing my battery last week. I noticed that Valvoline used a half oil filter! I was so pissed. I took it in I think last summer for an oil change. But didnt think I had to check to see if they cheated on the gd filter!

I actually found out on my Jeep forum about an oversized filter for another car that fits my Jeep. Which almost twice as long. So I was gonna replace it anyway.

I have never heard of that. Its this really short filter maybe 2 or 2.5 inches long. 
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Moab

Dealerships! I bought a new Yukon in 2004. I took it in because the cig lighter stopped working. 

I had to make an appt to get it diagnosed. It was the actual plug. Not the entire thing. 

I then had to make another appt to have it installed. Because they wouldn't let me just come back to the parts counter and get it. 

So I made a second trip to have it "installed". Never took my car back for any warranty work again. 

They make it as difficult as possible to take advantage of what they guaranteed they would fix. 

But the service departments are the worst. EVERYTHING IS A SCAM AND AN UPSELL. They don't have service techs anymore. What they have are service SALES people. 

I've had many many cars inspected at many different brand dealerships. So I've seen a fair share of repair estimates. They are always in the thousands of dollars. 

1) Because they not only put what is broken. They also put what "needs" to be repaired. Which includes anything that they estimate by mileage might need to be repaired. Or might break soon. Based in no analysis at all. Often on parts they can not even see.

2) The price of the parts is based on a several decades old sales strategy by US automakers - to make more money off parts and repairs than the actual car. So the parts are always many hundreds if not thousands more than average retail at any autoparts store.

3) The price of labor is always massively more per hour than any other national chain repair shop. Then the number of hours is routinely inflated. But back to the "un-needed" repairs. Substantially more because they always try to scam you into paying labor for repairs you don't need.

I will never have a car repaired at the dealership. Its a huge scam. I've never gone into a dealership and had them say oh its this "one" item. Its always "many" items.

Not to mention you lose $10,000 just driving a new car off the lot. 

The Yukon I bought I used Truecar. It was the best way to buy a new car I've ever seen. I don't know if its like this now. But back then you could configure every option and detail you wanted in your car. And they would give a detailed price right then. 

In my case it was $10,000 below sticker. And although I had found a couple Yukons in that price range. Both were sales bait in the local paper. And could never be found on the lots.

Once you committed to buying the vehicle they found one with all the iptions you chose and had it transported to your local dealership. In my case it came from a dealer in Texas. I got a phone call about a week later. Drove to my dealership. Gave them a cashiers check (you could arrange financing thru the website as well) and drove away 15 minutes later.

I even asked about some premiums mats or something. That I wanted to buy. And they told me they weren't allowed to speak about selling or sell anything to Truecar buyers. 

The entire process took me about 20 minutes. Including choosing and buying the car online. And picking it up. With the exception of going to my bank for the cashiers check. 

A normal new vehicle transaction takes many many hours if not days. Being haggled, lied to, and manipulated for hours on end. Its maddening!

That is the state of the US auto industry. And why I drive a used 15 year old vehicle. That is so simple I can fix anything on it myself. 
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

EBuff75

With snow in the forecast tomorrow, I topped off the fuel and wiper fluid, then ran my Suburban through a carwash (which it had desperately needed for quite some time).  I took the awning off a few months ago, but the solar panel is still mounted to the roof rack.  I just trusted that my mounting job was more than sufficient to handle the brushes and went through with it as-is.  The solar went through the wash with no problems at all and now everything is nice and clean again!  (well, as much as a rusty old truck can be shiny and clean...)

Edit:  I also re-packed my winter bags for both vehicles, checking everything in my list off as I went.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk