Hurricane Ida (Tropical Disturbance in GoM, heading towards TX/LA Aug. 2021)

Started by Blast, August 26, 2021, 10:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPMalloy

Quote from: CG on August 29, 2021, 08:28:32 AMPlus, that photo seems equally backed up in both directions...are they doing contraflow at this point?
I would think so....it's time to go.

You, Chimp, & boskone are all inland, yeah?

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: MPMalloy on August 29, 2021, 09:40:16 AM
Quote from: CG on August 29, 2021, 08:28:32 AMPlus, that photo seems equally backed up in both directions...are they doing contraflow at this point?

CG and I are in the western part of the state (closer to New Mexico than Louisiana) and I believe Boskone is near Houston.

He's mentioned Central Texas a couple times, but I think that's where his parents live.

sheddi

I'm far enough away that I can only watch and hope for the best.

What local media would you recommend following? WFAA was mentiones in the general hurricanes thread, and there's WAFB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0DyWX3BtbM

For print media I'm only really aware of the Times-Picayune's https://www.nola.com/

Is there anyone else local I should be following? (I know the big-name national broadcasters all have their own coverage but I'd rather hear from locals.)

flybynight

WTNT64 KNHC 291653
TCUAT4

Hurricane Ida Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL092021
1155 AM CDT Sun Aug 29 2021

...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE IDA MAKES LANDFALL NEAR
PORT FOURCHON LOUISIANA...

NOAA Doppler radar imagery indicates that the eye of Ida made
landfall along the southeastern coast of Louisiana near Port
Fourchon around 1155 AM CDT (1655 UTC).  Data from an Air Force
Reserve reconnaissance aircraft and Doppler radar data indicate that
Ida's maximum sustained winds at landfall were estimated to be 150
mph (240 km/h).  The latest minimum central pressure estimated from
reconnaissance aircraft data is 930 mb (27.46 in).

Within the past hour, sustained winds of 43 mph (69 km/h) and a
gust to 67 mph (107 km/h) were reported at Lakefront Airport in New
Orleans.

A NOAA National Ocean Service tide gauge in Shell Beach, Louisiana,
recently reported a water level of 6.4 feet above mean higher high
water, which is an approximation of inundation in that area.

A NOAA National Ocean Service tide gauge at Bay Waveland Yacht Club,
Mississippi, recently reported a water level of 5.5 feet above mean
higher high water, which is an approximation of inundation in that
area.

SUMMARY OF 1155 AM CDT...1655 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...29.1N 90.2W
ABOUT 15 MI...25 KM SW OF GRAND ISLE LOUISIANA
ABOUT 45 MI...75 KM SE OF HOUMA LOUISIANA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...150 MPH...240 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 320 DEGREES AT 13 MPH...20 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...930 MB...27.46 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Brown/Brennan
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

RickOShea

Quote from: CG on August 29, 2021, 08:28:32 AM
Plus, that photo seems equally backed up in both directions...are they doing contraflow at this point?
Nope, no contraflow.  The Gub'mint said there wasn't enough time to implement it.

https://www.wdsu.com/article/it-wont-work-new-orleans-mayor-on-advice-she-got-on-contraflow-for-ida/37423644

Raptor

nola.com which is also theadvocate.com is garbage it is full is half truths. It is for official announcements but it is not the information source it was for katrina.

wwltv.com is better but not much.
Kind of funny but i rely on out of town sources for most local data.

good alternate sources:
entergy.com outage map shows pretty accurate
real time power outages.

google traffic is good for road closures due to flooding.

Folks you are on your own...Plan and act accordingly!

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

Raptor

Most of the folks who evacuated from NOLA seemed to have gone to FL.

The folks in Lafayette to Lake Chuck seem to be going to TX. Note not fact just based upn a few discussions and looking at Google traffic flow.

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

sheddi

RickOShea

We've had four tornado warnings so far today in my county....luckily, most of these hurricane related tornados are short-lived.

Raptor

https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KNEW.html

This is a link to NOLA lakefront airport knew.

It is a very exposed airport and these are fairly accurate real time readings since it has an ils approach.

flybynight

Rick , how close are you to Enterprise ? I have family there /

RickOShea

Quote from: flybynight on August 29, 2021, 02:22:02 PM
Rick , how close are you to Enterprise ? I have family there /
Enterprise is about 125 miles ENE of me.....but I went to college near there, and I have witnessed the magnificence of the Boll Weevil monument.

RickOShea

That storm chaser guy, Reed Timmer, is livestreaming from the Houma area....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99S7tMwoHtQ

CG

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on August 29, 2021, 10:33:24 AM

CG and I are in the western part of the state (closer to New Mexico than Louisiana) and I believe Boskone is near Houston.

He's mentioned Central Texas a couple times, but I think that's where his parents live.

I was thinking College Station, but that might be Phil.   Merri is Houston-ish. 

If Chimp and I ever get a hurricane out here, pretty certain that means that Houston, San Antonio, and Austin are all under water.

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: CG on August 29, 2021, 03:50:38 PM
Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on August 29, 2021, 10:33:24 AM

I was thinking College Station, but that might be Phil.   Merri is Houston-ish. 

If Chimp and I ever get a hurricane out here, pretty certain that means that Houston, San Antonio, and Austin are all under water.

Phil is either College Station or Bryan. I'm not 100 percent on that one.

DFW, if anyone remembers him, was in Austin the last I heard from him. Barr is near there as well.

He wasn't on the old boards, but I've got a brother in Bridge City and if they get an evacuation order (which I doubt they will, but anything's possible at this point) he and his wife may be heading out here to get away from any storm activity.

MPMalloy

I got a text from raptor saying "no power, no internet, otherwise all ok".

sheddi

Quote from: RickOShea on August 29, 2021, 03:17:54 PM
That storm chaser guy, Reed Timmer, is livestreaming from the Houma area....

I was watching that stream when it dropped out. I was worried that the masonry building he was sheltering behind had fallen on him.

Turns out he wasn't dead after all :D and came back with this video which is almost as crazy as those Canadians-driving-through-a-wildfire ones were a couple of years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNeylnSNw3c

I don;t know what cell network he's using for the stream but full marks to them for keeping it operational.

flybynight

flybynight

So Last evening. About six thirty . We are watching a a live stream by a chaser in NOLA. Our time is the same as New Orleans  And the Sun is still up and it's bright outside. The Livestream shows NOLA as pitch black with a thin strip of brightness on the horizon

flybynight

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk