Review: Sofirn Q8 Plus

Started by NT2C, January 23, 2023, 08:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NT2C

It's like having the power of the sun in your hand.  With a max of 16,000 lumens, yes, I said thousand, this is not grandpa's old two-D PoS kept in the kitchen junk drawer!

About the size of a 12oz beverage can and weighing in at a hefty 25.5 oz. with batteries it's quite a chonky little handful, but boy can it light up a room... or football stadium.  No, wait, maybe that should stadiums, plural, since it has a throw of 554m with a 120° beam spread.  Using the popular and powerful Anduril 2.0 control system the light has an awesome range of modes including such niceties as stepped or smooth ramping, a candle mode, and multiple strobe patterns.  There's even a cool "lightning storm" mode that I will make good use of one Halloween.  My only complaint with the OS is that it's so difficult to remember the button presses for different things, and hard to get them right.  I'm always going either too far or too few.

One more interesting feature of the light is that it has a standard 1/4-20 threaded tripod mount that can be used for attaching it to things like handles/tripods or even a magnet. 

Using the type C USB charging port and on-board battery charger allows for fairly quick 5-hour recharging of the three 21700 4,000mAh batteries it runs on (and using higher current batteries will allow the lumens to increase to over 20,000), but you can always keep others on hand that are fully charged for quick swaps but I doubt you'll need to since even on turbo mode this thing has a 2.5-hour runtime and a staggering 40 days runtime in moonlight mode.  Add the inexpensive silicone diffuser Sofirn also sells for this light and you'll be all set for the next time the grid goes down.

Possibly the best $100 (approx) that I've spent recently.

You cannot view this attachment.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

majorhavoc

Just the ticket for when you need to guide that 747 in for an emergency night landing on an unlit runway. 
A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

MacWa77ace

Alien tech, definitely

With great power, comes great responsibility.

Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

NT2C

Earlier tonight, the kid next door came over and tacked the tarp back down on my shed roof.  The wind had been about to send it flying into my cypress trees.  Since it was pretty dark I stood on my deck with the Q8 Plus to give him some light.  At one point I thought someone a few blocks over was shining a pretty dazzling light at me.  Then I realized, it was the beam from the Q8 Plus reflecting off someone's front window 1/2 a mile away.   :eek1:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk