When To Upgrade My Phone?

Started by Lambykins, December 08, 2022, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lambykins

I have been happy with my phone (NT2C picked it out), but I think it's time to upgrade. I will be getting a decent income tax refund in the Spring and I have started looking for a replacement.
I don't want an I-phone.
Looking at the S22 Galaxy ...maybe even the Ultra. IF my refund is enough.
So, what other phones do y'all recommend?
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

Anianna

I'm a Galaxy fan, so I would have recommended what you're already considering.  If your check isn't quite that fat, a refurbed Galaxy Note 10 is good.  I can't speak to the 20s and beyond (they skipped from 10 to 20) as I keep a phone for several years before upgrading and I'm still on the Note 10. 
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

∩(=^_^=)

12_Gauge_Chimp

I'm still using a Samsung Galaxy S8, so I'm not going to be much help.

If you can still get one of those, they're good phones. Just delete a bunch of the bloatware apps they have installed and it'll run better. Though I suppose that's good advice for any smartphone nowadays.

NT2C

I'm loving my OnePlus 9 Pro but you could buy a good used car for what this sucker cost us.

Although, I'm seeing them now as low as the mid $400 range.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

majorhavoc

I hear the Google Pixel 3 is a very, very good Android phone.
A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!
<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

Lambykins

Quote from: majorhavoc on December 08, 2022, 07:06:53 PMI hear the Google Pixel 3 is a very, very good Android phone.
I'm looking at reviews and such and the pixel 3 looks pretty good...
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

Rednex

I run the Galaxy S21 plus. It's good and all bit to big for me. I don't use it like I should. I call, voice mail ,text , and  check a few emails but just to see if I want to read them later or delete them. Don't watch movies or even YouTube on it.

The work phone is a Galaxy S 10 I like it better, it's not as big.

Raptor

Look for a used phone there are a viable and cost efficient way of getting what you want at decent price.

I use a Samsung Active 8 which suites my needs quite well.

Remember it is not just features but how well the phone survives being dropped and dunked.  
Folks you are on your own...Plan and act accordingly!

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

flybynight

Remember though. LG got out of the smart phone business last year. Repair will soon become problematic. 
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

Lambykins

Welp, I got a new phone.
My old one just completely gave up on making phone calls and only acknowledged about half the texts I sent, so, I went today and got one.
It was expensive....probably 1 to 2 hundred more than I would have paid for a brand new one at Walmart....
BUT!!!
Take into consideration that the nearest Walmart is over an hour away.
We live in a weird area and sometimes the phones you buy at that Walmart will not work here.
I bought it at a local business.
The business owner threw in a screen protector and a brand new case. The phone itself was brand new, not *refurbished*.
The business owner also did the data transfer (also no charge).
Business owner also offers free warranty for first 90 days and you can get insurance for the first year for a reasonable cost if you like.

All in all, I am pretty happy with my purchase.
$479.99 (no sales tax up here)

Now, just gotta figure out how to use it....
Edit to add cause I forgot (d'oh!) Galaxy A42 5G

majorhavoc

I got a Samsung A53 to replace my LG Stylo 4.  Even though Samsung's A series Galaxys are considered their economy phones versus their S series, the A53 was a huge step up and I would expect your A42 will similarly please you.  Much better screen and cameras.  Not overly impressed with the battery life, but it's not terrible.  I've had LGs, Motorolas and a few Chinese brands that I can't remember off hand and don't care to ever again.

I've decided that if you're going to live in the Android ecosystem, you can do a whole lot worse than Samsung.  Per my earlier post in this thread, I've heard really good things about the Google Pixel, but that's considered a premium phone.  Which is just another way of saying I've never tried one.
A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!
<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk