5star waterproof/insulated blanket.

Started by Moab, January 22, 2023, 06:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moab

Wanted to discuss this blanket in relation to a down quilt or the other blanket options out there. Its only around $50 at the first place I looked. $52 on Amazon. Its basically a waterproof shell with fleece lining. Not a bad idea for a vehicle or ghb. Volume is probably high. Weight is about 3.5lbs. And its 80x58. Which is 7 ft 5 in. A larger blanket for this category. Which is great for me.

Their website lists no specs. Looking for a better review now.

https://lapolicegear.com/5ive-star-gear-warm-n-dry-blanket.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=paidsocial&utm_campaign=6306894936085&utm_content=6306896116285&utm_term=6306896116485&fbclid=PAAabV5x9qEaX5hd3OWEcCy2q-Gul2Y1akw4-Bh85GGnJPP0j5LvHw6u8Ho3E

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Moab

There's the kelty. Way bigger, cheap, but not waterproof.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/camping-blanket/kelty-biggie

The other large outdoorgear reviewed blankets are very exoensive and not waterproof. 
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

EBuff75

A few years back Sam's Club sold waterproof blankets similar to the first one you listed.  I bought one for each of my vehicles, plus got them as gifts for all of my family and friends.  I've used them when working on my cars in the winter, just to keep me warm/dry when I'm on the ground.  Friends have used them to keep seats clean when hauling pets or even for diaper changes.  And when they get dirty, just toss them in the wash.  Highly recommended as something to toss in the trunk of your car.  They are a bit bulky, which is why I'd limit them to trunk duty, rather than GHB.
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

NT2C

Reminds me of this one from DTC.

I keep one of these from DTC in the back of the Jeep, in addition to an 80% wool blanket and a Pendelton wool throw.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

Moab

Quote from: NT2C on January 22, 2023, 07:33:18 PMReminds me of this one from DTC.

I keep one of these from DTC in the back of the Jeep, in addition to an 80% wool blanket and a Pendelton wool throw.
Looks good. But its only 72 inches or 6 ft. And only has a coating on the outside. And doesn't state that its waterproof. I think the 5star is a better option. And its cheaper.

I agree with the wool blanket or Pendleton. Wish i could afford a Pendleton. My father had one and it was incredible. I imagine it was something like that that was the definition of a "wool blanket" in the old west. That was used as a sleep system and so much more. I could imagine sleeping out with the one my father had. It does not compare to anything else considered a wool blanket today. Its just not the same thing. But they are sooo expensive.

Even current wool or surplus wool blankets are not cheap. But are simply not anything remotely related to a Pendleton wool blanket. I think it would take 3 usgi wool blankets to equal one Pendelton. At least the one my father had.

I think it was called the Yakama pattern too. Iirc. Which is my fathers tribe. It was a beautiful blanket. My sister has it now. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk