Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: Moab on Yesterday at 06:19:41 PM
Quote from: eugenenine on Yesterday at 01:21:58 PM
Quote from: 91Eunozs on February 22, 2024, 10:42:26 AMNot just AT&T, but Verizon's still up here in South Central Tejas

https://downdetector.com

From what I've read the other carriers outages were based on users trying to call AT&T customers and not being able to get through so they thought their service was down also.

Son talked me into switching to ATT because it was suppose to be faster/better (he researches all that, I don't). It wasn't any better, just more $. I finally paid off our phones so I can get off of ATT

Two words. Mint Mobile.

I was paying over $300 with ATT for 3 phones. I now pay $45 per month for 3 phones. Using the tmobile network which runs off the ATT network. Phones are decent priced as well. But you can get even better deals on Amazon for phones. And use them in Mint. Mint also has financing for phones. But advise always buying your own phone outright. Financing phones doubles or triples the price.

I've been using Mint Mobile for a few years now after switching from T-Mobile, no issues at all 
Current Events of Note / Re: Nationwide (AT&T) Cell Pho...
Last post by Moab - Today at 05:33:06 AM
Quote from: Anianna on Yesterday at 11:51:48 PM
Quote from: 91Eunozs on February 22, 2024, 10:42:26 AMNot just AT&T, but Verizon's still up here in South Central Tejas

From what I've read the other carriers outages were based on users trying to call AT&T customers and not being able to get through so they thought their service was down also.

Son talked me into switching to ATT because it was suppose to be faster/better (he researches all that, I don't). It wasn't any better, just more $. I finally paid off our phones so I can get off of ATT

Two words. Mint Mobile.

I was paying over $300 with ATT for 3 phones. I now pay $45 per month for 3 phones. Using the tmobile network which runs off the ATT network. Phones are decent priced as well. But you can get even better deals on Amazon for phones. And use them in Mint. Mint also has financing for phones. But advise always buying your own phone outright. Financing phones doubles or triples the price.

When we were out in podunk nowhere, the only network that would work at our house was AT&T.  When we moved to civilization, we discovered an AT&T deadspot existed at our new residence.  Not realizing TMobile uses AT&T network, we tried them next.  Annoying.  Anyway, now that we live in the middle of a massive neighborhood, our only option for cell service is Verizon and whatever works on the Verizon network.  I don't remember what the kids got when they got their own lines.  Cricket, maybe?  At least we get good internet here.

I had ATT for over 25 yrs. Cell, tv, phones etc. We can't wait for Sonic fiber to be installed on our block. So we can switch from ATT fiber.

Rural is hard. But you know what? We even have dead spots in LA. Where my friend lives near Beverly Hills there is no ATT. And its considered the middle of LA sort of.

But if can get Mint where you are - do it. I've had research and choose cell olans for over 25yrs. For my company and family. I don't know how Mint did it. But its the cheapest carrier I've ever used. And it had the best coverage. 

Miscellaneous Gear / Re: If you had $100-200 to spe...
Last post by Moab - Today at 01:07:23 AM
Quote from: Uomo Senza Nome on Yesterday at 08:09:30 PM
Quote from: Moab on Yesterday at 06:35:53 PM
Quote from: Uomo Senza Nome on Yesterday at 08:40:51 AMI'd probably lay back some silver. It's been cheap lately. I don't keep much for alternate currency and due to it's low historical usage in my lifetime it is a low priority item.
Depending on what your investing for...

Medication. Antibiotics and pain meds would be worth far more in a shtf situation. And you can carry far more weightwise. Meds are ultra light weight. The same weight in silver or gold vs pain meds - you'd have far mire vakue in meds. And priceless if none are available. Gold and silver would be volatile price wise until things settled down and everyone could agree on worth. And then your carrying around pounds of metal vs ounces of meds. Even common meds.
I wouldn't want people knowing I had meds, especially pain meds. It's a great way to get robbed by violent people willing to kill to get them. I have plenty of non-script stuff though.

Selco has several strategies for exchanging goods in a shtf. The guy that survived the Bosnian War? Remember him? His online shtf instruction is very good. I purchased it. 

Its all the same whether you have gold or meds or any supplies. You have to set up secure ways of trading with anyone. Anything of value your using to pay for goods and services. Is worth killing you over - in the extreme. 
Current Events of Note / Re: Nationwide (AT&T) Cell Pho...
Last post by Anianna - Yesterday at 11:51:48 PM

Two words. Mint Mobile.

When we were out in podunk nowhere, the only network that would work at our house was AT&T.  When we moved to civilization, we discovered an AT&T deadspot existed at our new residence.  Not realizing TMobile uses AT&T network, we tried them next.  Annoying.  Anyway, now that we live in the middle of a massive neighborhood, our only option for cell service is Verizon and whatever works on the Verizon network.  I don't remember what the kids got when they got their own lines.  Cricket, maybe?  At least we get good internet here.
Edged Weapons/Tools / Re: Knife reviews! Lmao!
Last post by Moab - Yesterday at 11:21:30 PM
Quote from: EBuff75 on Yesterday at 09:09:34 PMI've carried either an SOG Flash I or SOG Mini Aegis now for about the last 15 years.  No real complaints about them.  They both still work just fine and take a decent edge.  The assist mechanisms in them make for a reasonably quick deployment (they're a bit stiffer than some other knives) and I like button lock knives, which both of them are (although the older Flash I isn't as good, since it's a small, square release that has to be pressed quite hard to release the blade). 

Is that a better review for you than the ones you found on Amazon?  :D
I really want a SOG Tellus folder. The fixed blade is cool too. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1026077030

You can adjust your folders tightness with the pivot screws. Probably torx bit tho. If u have one.

I'm of the school that sees little value in an expensive knife. The most I've spent is $150 for my ESEE 5. But that is a .25 inch blade. An comes with everything. 

*There is 98% of a knives value in any number of sub $50 knives. Fixed or folder. Maybe $75 in a folder. 

There are very well made knives in that price point. And better quality than you will ever use in a lifetime

Anything more and it's a vanity brand. Or has some unobtanium steel that no one but a Navy Seal really needs. 

I think 90% or more of knife buyers don't even use them. If they did they'd know how ridiculous it is to buy a $400 folding knife. IF your just buying a knife to use. If your collecting or it's a gift or whatever - I guess. I do like some of the custom knives small makers make. PL Knives on bushcraftusa makes some nice stuff. But they are like $150-$250. 

Knives are knives at a certain point. Like above $25. Your getting everything you're ACTUALLY GOING TO USE. 

Of all the knives I've owned over 50 yrs. Or longer for ones I inherited. Only one has broken. Its a $5 filet knive I bought at Kmart in the 80s. The tang rusted from underneath the rubber handle. But I still use it. 

I did inherit my grandfathers cheap Buck folder that he snapped the front one inch of tip off of. But who knows what that WWII Marine ape of a man did with it! ;) The funny part is he still kept it sharp and continued using the last 20 yrs of his life. 
Last post by EBuff75 - Yesterday at 09:09:34 PM
I've carried either an SOG Flash I or SOG Mini Aegis now for about the last 15 years.  No real complaints about them.  They both still work just fine and take a decent edge.  The assist mechanisms in them make for a reasonably quick deployment (they're a bit stiffer than some other knives) and I like button lock knives, which both of them are (although the older Flash I isn't as good, since it's a small, square release that has to be pressed quite hard to release the blade). 

Is that a better review for you than the ones you found on Amazon?  :D
Last post by 12_Gauge_Chimp - Yesterday at 08:16:34 PM
I'm convinced some of these reviewers are complete morons who probably shouldn't have a knife in the first place.
Last post by Uomo Senza Nome - Yesterday at 08:09:30 PM
Quote from: Moab on Yesterday at 06:35:53 PM
Quote from: Uomo Senza Nome on Yesterday at 08:40:51 AMI'd probably lay back some silver. It's been cheap lately. I don't keep much for alternate currency and due to it's low historical usage in my lifetime it is a low priority item.
Depending on what your investing for...

Medication. Antibiotics and pain meds would be worth far more in a shtf situation. And you can carry far more weightwise. Meds are ultra light weight. The same weight in silver or gold vs pain meds - you'd have far mire vakue in meds. And priceless if none are available. Gold and silver would be volatile price wise until things settled down and everyone could agree on worth. And then your carrying around pounds of metal vs ounces of meds. Even common meds.
I wouldn't want people knowing I had meds, especially pain meds. It's a great way to get robbed by violent people willing to kill to get them. I have plenty of non-script stuff though.
Edged Weapons/Tools / Knife reviews! Lmao!
Last post by Moab - Yesterday at 07:44:33 PM
https://sogknives.com/field-knife/#content_components

I was looking at knife reviews on SOG. Specifically the basic Seal Pup. It's only $35 on Amazon. I really appreciate the rubber handle for combat, hunting and fishing. Once you get blood and gut slime on your hands a rubber handle has no equal.

(Not saying it's the best knife in the world. It's not. But for $35 it has alot if value. It's also full tang with ridges - protruding from the butt end.)

But I read knife reviews like this all the time:

1) People complain about sharpness out of the box.

2) People complain about the free nylon sheath. It only comes with a metal belt clip. But has holes for techloks.

Most all of the reviews are positive. With the exception of a few idiots...

First, none of these idiots has ever sharpened a knife. Or even understands that a knifes edge needs to be regularly sharpened. IMHO if you don't know how to sharpen a knife you shouldn't own one! The importance of a knife being sharp out of the box is a non issue. Now if it has defects ir is hard to sharpen. That is certainly a concern. But these idiots act like if it's not sharp they "will never be able to cut anything with this " defective" knife".

Second, it's a $35 knife! The nylon sheath is well appointed. Has holes for techloks. And basically a free giveaway at this price point. But if it won't stay on your belt or pack. PUT A TECHLOK ON IT! Jesus Christ! Lmao!!!
Last post by Beowolf - Yesterday at 06:37:35 PM
Just purchased a 3-day package of Mountain House along with a sampler pack. That's $105 plus the $30 on the Aqua-tainers. I figure another $50-60 on prep related items will be money well spent.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I'll be in a better place than I was when I started this thread, and that was the point. But please do keep any additional suggestions coming.
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk